Mirror's Edge Catalyst PC Specs Are a Little Steep

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Mirror's Edge Catalyst PC Specs Are a Little Steep

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1313/1313984.jpgThe minimum and recommended specs for Mirror's Edge Catalyst have been announced, and you're going to need quite a rig to hit the recommendations.

If you're a PC gamer looking to play Mirror's Edge Catalyst, you better make sure your machine is up to par. The minimum and recommended specs were released by EA today, and older machines need not apply.

The minimum specs aren't too bad, but they still require a CPU with at least four logical cores, 6 GB or RAM, and a GTX 650 Ti 2 GB. The recommended specs are what really catch your eye, calling for Windows 10, a GTX 970 4GB, and 16 GB of RAM. Here are the full spec lists, courtesy of the official Mirror's Edge site [http://www.mirrorsedge.com/news/pc-system-requirements]:

MINIMUM

CPU: Intel i3-3250 / AMD FX-6350. (Note: Mirror's Edge Catalyst requires at least 4 logical cores to run.)
RAM: 6 GB
HARD DRIVE: At least 25 GB of free space
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 650 Ti 2GB or better / AMD Radeon™ R9 270x or better

RECOMMENDED

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 at 3.4 GHz / AMD FX-8350 at 4.0 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
HARD DRIVE: At least 25 GB of free space
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 970 4GB or better / AMD Radeon™ R9 280x 3GB or better

Those may be the most onerous specs I've seen in recent memory. By way of comparison, The Witcher 3 -one of the best looking games in recent memory - only required a GTX 770 and 8 GB of RAM.

Mirror's Edge Catalyst launches on PC, PS4, and Xbox One on May 26. If you pre-order the game, you'll get to try it out through an Origin Access Trial. You'll also receive a 10% discount on the digital copy for PC.

[gallery=6160]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
If it was anyone but DICE developing I'd call those minimum requirement inflated. But I remember the release of Battlefield 2, I remember all the fans on my ?1000 gaming PC spinning up to maximum and the audible coil whine coming out of the PSU, like the machine was screaming for mercy.

Given the amount of RAM and CPU requirement they must have some serious physics going on, Frostbite games are always memory heavy, but that's nuts.

Or it could mean they've done no optimising at all. DICE plz...

Okay, why can Escapist not display the pound sign? It shows fine when I type it, it shows fine in preview, but on post it turns into a question mark. Huh.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
well i can officially run it at minimum so thats a relief. but i dont know if ill get it. i never did finish the first game

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Awesome. I meet the recommended specs nearly exactly. 16gb ram and that's my exact processor. Everything else is sufficient as well.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Jesus that's pretty huge. 16GB RAM and a GTX 970 is exactly what I have and this PC isn't even half a year old, the hell are they pouring into this thing? More bloom lighting? Next gen sprinting vision? I have no idea. I guess Mirror's Edge strikes me as the kind of game that doesn't need so much fancy lighting and next gen window glisten but I guess this is a DICE game so they might as well use the engine.

Let's just hope it's optimised decently, I would rather those specs be high as they are for a reason other than "optimising is hard"

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
16 GB is completely reasonable for any decent gaming machine the past 1-2 years.
RAM is fucking cheap, jeez!

But still, I bet this is hardly very optimised. That's just one of those things EA HATES to spend money on. And thus they never do (unless fans complain vocally enough for long enough, long after it's been released).

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
A 4-5 year old low-mid range card and low end 4 core cpu on the minimum requirements is steep? What do people expect at the (relative) beginning of a new generation of consoles where they're once again trying to push stuff as much as possible. I don't get it.

Cether

Mar 29, 2011
This isn't a promise of "a great looking game" but more of a promise of crappy optimization. The truth is over the last year we've seen devs do a ton with way less reqs.

I actually surpass the recommended with my set up, but seeing such high requirements make me suspicious as opposed to excited. Not that I was going to pre-order before seeing actual gameplay and optimization anyway.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Lillowh said:
A 4-5 year old low-mid range card and low end 4 core cpu on the minimum requirements is steep? What do people expect at the (relative) beginning of a new generation of consoles where they're once again trying to push stuff as much as possible. I don't get it.
Minimum requirements tend to be quite low for most games, even if you have to turn all the settings down to get it to run on 30fps, it should still work. The previous build I had before I upgraded last fall would have just barely squeaked by the minimum reqs, and I've never been close to the minimum req on a game before.

I also think the RAM requirement is pretty darned high- 16 is double the recommended on most games, makes you wonder exactly what is so RAM-heavy about it, or whether it's just a sly way to encourage people to buy more. Not having enough RAM is a rather... nostalgic problem for most people, the needs for it plateaued for a long while at about 8GB.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Silk_Sk said:
Awesome. I meet the recommended specs nearly exactly. 16gb ram and that's my exact processor. Everything else is sufficient as well.
same here. also have 16 ram and the rest is over. have a i7 4790 intel chip, radeon r9 290x. just that my gaming still has win 7, so i hope this wont be a setback to play the game on max or maybe nearly max settings. i guess i will find out once the beta is out.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
One thing I've learned as a PC gamer is that the Recommended Specs are almost always a lie.

Still given my dislike of first person games, this wasn't really on my radar in the first place.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Meh. Steep for casuals. I planned on saving for a VR set just for this game and already passed the steam VR test with flying colors, so bring on the open world parkour. My body and PC are ready.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
CDPR cares about the platform, so they worked really hard to optimize the game really well. So they got maximum effect out of less. EA and Dice... not so much. They rely more on the ability of a system to output raw power to make games work better. They don't optimize it because they don't care about the platform as much as they should.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Remus said:
Meh. Steep for casuals. I planned on saving for a VR set just for this game and already passed the steam VR test with flying colors, so bring on the open world parkour. My body and PC are ready.
When you say casuals is that another way of saying serious gamers without a lot of disposable income?

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Major_Tom said:
After all, we are talking about Frostbite, the colossally unoptimised piece of shit.
True enough. Look at the mess it made of Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Xan Krieger said:
Remus said:
When you say casuals is that another way of saying serious gamers without a lot of disposable income?
Or serious gamers that don't know how to put money away. I saved for half a year to buy the PC I wanted so that I won't need to upgrade for years. Income is only disposable for me if I plan well in advance. The PC I had before was 8 years old and showing its age with its inability to play Witchers and texture loading in game for pretty much anything else. I'm happy I can brag about being current with my specs - this may not happen again for a decade.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I already wasn't getting this on PC cause EA = Origin = no thanks. I can probably run this fine, but I don't care. If I get it, definatly going console. I should probably actually go play and beat the original game...even though its a remake, but I'm already doing that for Dark Souls and procrastinating fighting the Anor Londo duo.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
That's fine with me. No need to cater every game under the sun to the entitled gamers who don't want to upgrade their computers to something made within the last few years. For those who cant afford new components (calling an 8350 new is a stretch), well, I'm sorry.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
IDT a 970 is steep. Its the 1st level of enthusiast cards. Plus it depends on what "recommended" entails is it 1440 or 1080 with everything jacked up to ultra then yeah a 970 would be recommended even on current releases