Street Fighter IV Sells Out In Japan

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Street Fighter IV Sells Out In Japan

Street Fighter IV, the next hotly anticipated entry in the Street Fighter franchise, has sold out on its very first day of release in Japan.

The game hit Japanese stores yesterday, and by the end of the day had reportedly sold 86,000 copies. A post on the official Street Fighter blog [http://www.capcom-unity.com/street_fighter/blog/2009/02/13/street_fighter_iv_sold_out_in_japan] oddly downplayed the numbers, calling the 86,000 total "off based", but then went on to say "the real story is that SFIV is not 'selling well' but is in fact SOLD OUT in Japan."

Apparently Capcom has a few more boxes of the game left in the basement, but was caught totally off-guard by the demand.

Street Fighter IV goes on sale on the 17th February in North America and the 20th February in Europe.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172802]

ZantetsukenQ

Sep 25, 2008
I'm glad I have my copy pre ordered. Can't wait to get trounced by some hardcore Japanese players. I'm actually quite suprised that it did manage to sell out. I can't imagine it being the same in Europe or the US.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
How do you not anticipate Street Fighter 4 selling out in JAPAN?

Thats like not anticipating Jesus selling out in Vatican City.

ZantetsukenQ

Sep 25, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:

I was mainly going by the fact that the Japanese have had the Arcade machines for a while, and so there would be less incentive to buy the console version. I guess that now that I think about it, it makes sense. :p

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
I don't mind waiting for it. Fighting games on the 360 pad are an exercise in frustration controller-punting fury, so I'll wait 'til my Mad Catz fight stick arrives and pick it up then.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
I never preorder but maybe I should've.

Though printing out 86k copies is a paltry amount to begin with.

CirrusEpix

Feb 6, 2009
I can imagine systems being sold out, but games!? That's something you just don't hear much. TBA, there really is no point pre-ordering a single disk game.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
I'm probably going to force myself to play this game with my friend.

Over and over and over again.

I hate fighting games so much, but I can never stop playing them (with my friends atleast).

captain awesome 12

Dec 28, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:

I think you've got something there with a Jesus game...

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Jumplion said:
I'm probably going to force myself to play this game with my friend.

Over and over and over again.

I hate fighting games so much, but I can never stop playing them (with my friends atleast).
You know you love them, don't deny it. The one problem with fightingg games is the online lag. If your internet is not absolutely perfect during a match it just plain sucks. I'll be fine fighting my brother most of the time though, I'm not that big on online fighting games. We really all need to have fibre optic connections to get a proper experience.

I remember how long it took me to be able to put up a decent fight in DOA4, about a hundred matches or so online. So I can only imagine the amount of grinding I will have to do with SF4 to even be able to put up a decent fight. I can't help but smile at that prospect....

I'm seriously hoping that the reports that they have relaxed the difficulty of move execution turns out to be the case as I can't seem to do any back-forward-back-forward super moves in SFII HD Remix save for Balrog's...Pisses me off to no end since I can do his super with my eyes closed and half asleep. Sigh I have to wait till about the 20th to even play the game. T_T