CD Projekt Red CEO Says "F*ckin' Yeah" to Xbox One-PS4 Cross-Network Play

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
CD Projekt Red CEO Says "F*ckin' Yeah" to Xbox One-PS4 Cross-Network Play

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/669/669011.jpg

CD Projekt Red CEO Marcin Iwinski spoke with GI.biz, speaking in favor of Microsoft's decision to allow for cross-network play.

said that Microsoft is ready to move forward [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166838-Microsoft-Cross-Platform-Could-Link-PS4-and-Xbox-One] for "whoever wants to get on board." Sony has not yet officially accepted the offer, saying only "We would be happy to have the conversation with any publishers or developers who are interested in cross platform play."

In a recent interview with GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-05-05-cross-play-with-other-networks-thats-not-the-microsoft-of-ten-years-ago], CD Projekt Red CEO Marcin Iwinski came out enthusiastically in favor of Microsoft's decision to allow for cross-network play.

"If you look at Microsoft today and Microsoft ten years ago, it's a very different company," Iwinski said. "In the past it was very Microsoft-ish to lock down everything, to make sure they had full control. But Satya Nadella is saying, 'put all of our apps on all systems.' I think people should think about that, because if they did [what Sweeney suggests], in my personal opinion it will really backfire big time."

"So let's cut Microsoft some slack, and see if they will follow up in terms of what they are preaching about openness," he continued. "In my opinion, it's the only way to go for them, and the announcement about cross-play? Fuckin' yeah. Cross-play with other networks? That's not the Microsoft of ten years ago. No way."

"And Sony is very fast coming back and saying, 'Yes, yes, with us it's okay.' And that's great. It's not the battle of who can make a better ghetto any more, but who is better for the gamer. That's what we're after. It's about opening up and competing on who has the better offer."

CD Projekt Red is currently working on Cyberpunk 2077, which Iwinski recently said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167298-CD-Projekt-Red-Says-Cyberpunk-2077-Will-be-More-Ambitious-on-Every-Single-Front] will be "more ambitious on every single front."

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Well this is good news indeed. Break down the borders to bring people together more, even if it means a little extra work for seperating keyboard 'n mouse players from humble controller users in certain genres. Once the gaming community have accustomed to this, perhaps we can start work on the real world too. :) oops, vague political opinion drop, sorry!

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Marcin Iwinski said:
In the past it was very Microsoft-ish to lock down everything, to make sure they had full control.
Has he even SEEN the UWP? How about Halo 5? The release of the Xbox One? I'd actually say they're worse now than they've ever been. At least in terms of forcing people into their own online-only BS systems.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
So Cyberpunk 2077 will have online components? This is interesting. Right now I'm imagining something like Dark Souls multiplayer, where you can enter other worlds or invite other players to yours.