Nvidia's GTX 1080 is Much More Powerful Than a Titan, $400 Less

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nvidia's GTX 1080 is Much More Powerful Than a Titan, $400 Less

The GTX 1080 comes out May 27 at an RRP of $599, and performs much faster and much more efficiently than the current "best-in-slot" card: the Titan.

The cost of entry to PC gaming gets cheaper and cheaper every single year, something that console manufacturers are no-doubt losing sleep over! Nvidia is continuing that trend with the revelation of it's GTX 1080 graphics card - a card that can do crazy stuff like run Doom at 200 FPS [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/see-doom-running-on-nvidias-gtx-1080-reaches-200fp/1100-6439598/] and won't cost you a downpayment on your house.

The GTX 1080 will release on May 27, at an RRP of just $599. This makes it a full $400 cheaper than Nvidia's current top-end card, the Titan, and the truly incredible news is that the 1080 is considerably faster, and more efficient than the Titan. Just check out this performance chart:

To put that into perspective, Nvidia claims that the 1080 is faster than two GTX 980 cards running together.

Releasing a little after the 1080 on June 10 will be its "little brother": the 1070, which Nvidia says offers Titan-level performance for just $350. Yes, that's right, to obtain the same level of graphics fidelity you used to have to spend $1,000 on, you can now get with a $350 card.

It's a crazy time to be a PC gamer right now, but boy do I regret picking up that GTX 980 last October...

Source: Nvidia [http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-gtx-1080]

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
nVidia claims...
nVidia claims...
nVidia claims...
Nearly all of the info presented in this 'reveal' is meaningless until we have real-world benchmarks to back them up.

The press release may as well just say, "New card is coming. It does stuff. More at 11."

Also:
The cost of entry to PC gaming gets cheaper and cheaper every single year, something that console manufacturers are no-doubt loosing sleep over!
First: It's 'losing'. Dear gods, has proofreading gone the way of the dodo?

Second: I really doubt they're 'loosing' sleep over that aspect of PC gaming. There are far more pressing concerns than the hardware getting mildly cheaper.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
And I'm sitting here with a GTX960m at the bottom of the ring. Whenever I get around to building a proper desktop rig, I'll have to look into these cards.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Cool, I guess by the time I can actually afford a PC I wont have to spend too much to get the best of the best.

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
"The cost of entry to PC gaming gets cheaper and cheaper every single year"
Ermmmm ahem, a few years ago the enthusiast level graphic card costed $150 (example radeon 5850) and the TOP level card, $200 (ex. radeon 5870), how much is the 1070 again?? (the modern 5850/ gtx 460 equivalent)? How much the future top level Titan sucessor will cost? (I bet you around a thousand until the inevitable cheaper 1080ti follows making it look like "a bargain"....)

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Eh, my EVGA 780ti is still happily running everything at max, games have flat lined so much that it'll be awhile before I even need to look at anything going down let alone medium settings.

Still, good to know for future reference.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Definitely going to wait on upgrading for a good while. The GTX970 can still run almost everything on the market on Ultra with 60FPS.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well sitting from a position of still having a 780 the 1080 looks like a very attractive prospect for upgrading when i get around to it.

I hope it lives up to theese claims when third parties start benching it.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
And then it will be borked by a driver update.

Because nVidea.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Dammit, dammit, dammit. And I bought a GTX980ti just last month.

Oh well, should last me a good few years anyway and I got a good deal on it.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
All this based on claims from Nvidia followed up with a basic chart saying 2x this and 3x that. Paper release is always like this. And those prices are for reference cards, which unless you're buying one to strip the reference cooler from and strap a waterblock to it, you're likely looking at $100 extra for a basic custom design.

Remain sceptical until official release people, we go through this roller-coaster of emotions every year yet somehow folks seem to forget history every time a new architecture is released.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Of course they would come out with a card that has double the performance for near the same price a year and a half after I buy a 980. I fucking hate PC gaming sometimes.

Mothhive

Apr 2, 2010
enginieri said:
"The cost of entry to PC gaming gets cheaper and cheaper every single year"
Ermmmm ahem, a few years ago the enthusiast level graphic card costed $150 (example radeon 5850) and the TOP level card, $200 (ex. radeon 5870), how much is the 1070 again?? (the modern 5850/ gtx 460 equivalent)? How much the future top level Titan sucessor will cost? (I bet you around a thousand until the inevitable cheaper 1080ti follows making it look like "a bargain"....)
They are getting more expensive, but it's not quite as bad as you made out. The 5850 was actually $259 at launch, and the 5870 was $379.

Feb 7, 2016
I've had my 980ti for a few months now, and it eats most games for breakfast. I should be alright.
I'll regret my expensive purchase when real benchmarks backup your claims, Nvidia.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
The graph has relative VR performance on the Y axis not overall performance. It isn't really surprising that the first Nvidia graphics card to be released after lots of VR systems went on the market will have a significantly more efficient performance than previous models. Not saying I'm not excited but it seems like this huge bump in power might only be seen for the VR pioneers (of which I am not one)

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Why do you compare the Price of a GTX 1080 to that of a Titan X?
There is GTX 980 and back then both are the same price point afaik.
And that a new generation is faster is not really surprising my 980 Ti is also faster than a Titan for the half the money so what?

Yea it is 2x as fast... in VR under certain unknown circumstances!
This has been the case for all eternity of computer 3D accelerators. I mean just loop in 4k resolution with 8x MSAA and 16x AAF and my 980 Ti is probably twice as fast as the 780 Ti that came before it. Okay I may play at 10 FPS? but hey its twice as fast as the 5 FPS of the 780 Ti and that?s something right?

Seriously this news is NV marketing garbage!
And I use NV accelerators, two of them in fact. But these % stuff is just fucking useless especially from any manufacturer because they cherry pick the circumstances!
And what about Doom? How did the GTX 980 or Titan X perform in it with unlocked framerates and Vulkan? Ah right you don?t even have a comparison!

This is why People are weary by gaming media outlets, you are little more than handyman of the marketing compartments!

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Chimpzy said:
Dammit, dammit, dammit. And I bought a GTX980ti just last month.

Oh well, should last me a good few years anyway and I got a good deal on it.
Exact same thing for me. Bought a 980 ti for Dark Souls 3 (and to run Fallout 4/other games better)... Sigh. Well, if it's as good as they make it sound, then at least a bunch of other people will be able to get good and somewhat affordable gpu's I guess xD

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
So this is the leap in graphic fidelity that has been expected this year. Waiting for the benchmarks. I'm sitting on an R9 295X2, which at the time of purchase, was about $650 and also better for gaming than the then current round of titans. If this is true and the benchmarks on this card express the same results, it would only be an upgrade some years down the line as it is really unnecessary with my current rig. And that's if the prices aren't gouged by the retailers when they get this card in stock. I fully expect this card to retail for $1200 at over 100% profit for no other reason than they can.