8 of the Best Video Game Soundtracks

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
8 of the Best Video Game Soundtracks

Eight soundtracks that made games memorable.

Read Full Article

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
The least of the Red Alerts in music, art style, gameplay and cutscenes, but at least it had Tim Curry for a bit.

On another note, at some point somebody started what seems like a trend of setting the music to clips of WWII:

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Out of curiosity, what genre did The Last Of Us "define"? Did it do anything particularly new or radical for other games to copy? Exceptional game it may've been (I was on the 360 so never got a chance to see for myself. I keep meaning to watch an LP, at least), but I don't recall reading any reviews that cited TLoU in terms of defining a genre.

Soundtracks: almost any mention of FFVII tends to trigger melodies in my head, and I think a big part of that - aside from them just being superbly crafted - is the simplicity. I was rather horrified to hear the sound effects and music design when first starting the game, but the bold, sparse "delicate chip loops" (as the official PS mag said at the time) proved to be just about the perfect match for the story and visuals.

Red Dead Redemption's music design overall was great, too, with both original and licensed music helping to augment the epic story.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
More games with great soundtracks:

Final Fantasy: any of them, especially VI and IX
Undertale
Any Supergiant game: Bastion, Transistor, (Pyre)
Brutal Legend
Mega Man: any of them
Shovel Knight
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Any Jeremy Soule game: Elder Scrolls series, Guild Wars series, etc.
Wolfenstein: New Order
DOOM (the original)

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Darksiders 2 and Crypt of the Necrodancer were also fantastic soundtracks. Really, 8 spots aren't enough to do video game music justice.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
2xDouble said:
More games with great soundtracks:

Final Fantasy: any of them, especially VI and IX
Undertale
Any Supergiant game: Bastion, Transistor, (Pyre)
Brutal Legend
Mega Man: any of them
Shovel Knight
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Any Jeremy Soule game: Elder Scrolls series, Guild Wars series, etc.
Wolfenstein: New Order
DOOM (the original)
On top of these awesome suggestions I would like to also add Dust: An Elysian Tail. That had an amazing soundtrack too!

I would also second Final Fantasy IX as being one of my favourite soundtracks, as well as FF VIII.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
Out of curiosity, what genre did The Last Of Us "define"? Did it do anything particularly new or radical for other games to copy? Exceptional game it may've been (I was on the 360 so never got a chance to see for myself. I keep meaning to watch an LP, at least), but I don't recall reading any reviews that cited TLoU in terms of defining a genre.
Well, 'defining a genre' isn't the same as being 'new' or 'radical' -- That would be 'innovation'. It defined the story-driven, cinematic, third-person shooter, in that it took these elements and combined them in arguably the best way possible at that point. But seeing as 'story-driven', 'cinematic', and 'third-person shooter' are considered dirty words now, I guess that doesn't mean much.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
I'm sorry, but I think you got something missing. Namely, Deus Ex and Sonic the Hedgehog. Deus Ex' soundtrack is awesomesauce, same goes for the blue blur's games which tended to have great soundtracks even if the games themselves were anything but.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Any such list without Maestro Matt Uelmen is sorely lacking. See: Diablo 1&2, Torchlight 1&2. Seriously, Diablo 2.

Not that I'm a regular reader or anything, but it's still the only game soundtrack I recall seeing discussed in The Wire magazine. That's if you consider "wider cultural impact", which admittedly is of questionable value in and of itself.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I'll throw in the soundtrack for:
Journey, 'Apotheosis' is one of the most beautiful orchestra tracks I've ever heared
Thief 1+2
Lost Odyssey, because melancholia to the max (almost anything by Nobuo, really)
Chrono Cross (Yes, the heathen chooses Cross over Trigger)

And the ost/main theme of 'Xenogears''Xenosaga 2' and 'Xenoblade Chronicles X'

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Xerosch said:
Chrono Cross (Yes, the heathen chooses Cross over Trigger)
The music, totally agree Cross' soundtrack is superior. It's one of the best ever.

I also prefer SH 2's soundtrack to the original. But one of my favorite soundtracks... Lucasarts' Outlaws. It has the score of a western.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The Last of Us?! And NOT Bioshock or Fallout?! And Red Dead Redemption?! And not Resident Evil or Dawn of War?

Come on, Escapist! Get your head in the game!

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Everyone will have their own preference, and you included, or at least represented one of mine. The sounds of Akira Yamaoka should be on every gaming soundtrack, as well as his sometime collaborator, Elizabeth McGlynn. I'd only add Lisa Miskovsky for Mirror's Edge OST.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Red Dead Redemption? The Last of Us, Silent Hill?

Those 2 mabye well regarded but Music is not one of them.

Where is Doom? where is Warcraft? Where is God of War? Where is Castlevania and Megaman?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
No Skyrim [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvsMn05WtaI]?
No Unreal Tournament [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSjFTNfrYGo]?
Halo 1-3 [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfM4u8hWSQg]?
The Talos Principle [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TXQJtbqECA]?

Samtemdo8 said:
Where is Castlevania
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow actually had some good ones too now that I think about it. I especially liked Inner Quarters [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuz72IuBwp0].