The Latest Update to The Division is Causing More Problems

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Latest Update to The Division is Causing More Problems

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1324/1324684.jpgThe latest update for The Division is live, and it's causing all sorts of problems for Ubisoft's shooter.

If you're still playing The Division, you've probably learned to dread the message "Update downloading." Ubisoft has had some issues with their updates causing problems, and the latest patch is no exception.

Update 1.2 - also called "Conflict" - adds a pile of new content for both PvP and PvE, a new raid, and a host of new bugs. There are a number of reported issues with the new content, from things that don't work to disappearing characters. For example...

The new High Value Target PvE missions are unlocked by Intel, a new currency that was also added in the patch. Unfortunately, spending your Intel doesn't always unlock the missions like it's supposed to. Even when it does, the missions are buggy, with bosses that sometimes aren't even there, forcing you to restart the mission.

The new raid, which is named Clear Sky, is apparently causing matchmaking issues. Sometimes the raid resets repeatedly. Sometimes players are kicked back to the beginning of the raid, or back to the nearest safe house. Often the game will slow down dramatically after one of these resets.

While those bugs are annoying (And in some cases, game-breaking), the biggest issue with the patch is that there are reports of missing characters. This isn't the first time this has been an issue, as the same thing happened when already aware [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167160-Disappearing-Characters-Reported-Following-Most-Recent-The-Division-Update] of the issue and looking to solve it, but it's not reassuring to players when this sort of thing keeps happening.

The Division has shown some promise in the past, but it's been continually undermined with technical issues. Every time it looks like Ubisoft is getting a handle on things, a new problem [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167331-Daily-Missions-Gone-in-The-Division-Again-Permanent-Solution-in-the-Works] crops up. Hopefully they can sort these issues out permanently, and get on with the business of adding content to the game.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Havent played this game since launch, and I only got to level 8. Seems that was a good choice, because apparently Ubisoft/Massive have no idea what they are doing, and QA seems like an alien idea.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
Laggyteabag said:
Havent played this game since launch, and I only got to level 8. Seems that was a good choice, because apparently Ubisoft/Massive have no idea what they are doing, and QA seems like an alien idea.
Can I ask what made you buy it originally?

I took one look at it and thought:

1/ Ubisoft
2/ generic as flip
3/ Another "Tom Clancy" based "the government knows all and popped in murder squads just in case."

I'm not getting at or judging you, I just seriously wanna know what the appeal was?

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Should have delayed the game's release by 6 months, this is not just unacceptable its also poor business since now less people will be playing the game and therefore less people will be buying DLCs and Sequals.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Ya fucked up Massive. Wildly oscillating levels of grind, constant and game breaking bugs, laughable excuses for "raids", and not a fix for the hideously bad perk/weapon balance in sight. At this rate no one is going to be around by the time the first DLC comes out. I know I won't be, especially with the infinitely more competent Destiny releasing its final expansion some time this year.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
At this point maybe you should just do a news story if an update doesn't break something massively important instead of these.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
A bug-filled patch that causes more problems than it solves? How appropriate they're calling it "Conflict".

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
KaraFang said:
Laggyteabag said:
Can I ask what made you buy it originally?

I took one look at it and thought:

1/ Ubisoft
2/ generic as flip
3/ Another "Tom Clancy" based "the government knows all and popped in murder squads just in case."

I'm not getting at or judging you, I just seriously wanna know what the appeal was?
I could say that it was because it was a gift, or because I got it for free with a graphics card or something, just to wash away my guilt, but that would be a lie. In reality, though, a temporary lapse of judgement caused me to actually spend actual, real money on the damn thing, season pass in tow.

Honestly, I couldn't even say why I even did that. If I could take a guess: Maybe it was because I quite liked Destiny, and I just wanted an MMOFPS for my PC; maybe it was because I quite liked Tom Clancy games; or maybe it was because I actually bought into the hype and OH MY GOD YOU CAN CLOSE CAR DOORS!

But in reality, the game was just about as generic as you could get. Im not going to harp on the bullet spongy enemies, because that it just a consequence of the genre, but the fact that the game was just your usual Ubisoft fare, with the same 3 sidequests spread across the entire city; or the fact the game felt strangely linear, despite being open world, are just inexcusable. Though, honestly, I am not really sure what I expected.

Oh well, at least the game is kinda pretty, I guess. So at least we have that.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
This has gotten so bad, it's almost a cartoon skit at this point. Like they're trying to put out a fire with a fire extinguisher, but instead of foam coming out it's toy snakes. Which are on fire.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
KaraFang said:
I would love to know what kind of reaction a game based around the player being a Gestapo officer in the Warsaw Ghetto would have generated, because the division is more or less that with a palette swap.

I know I just Godwinned myself but I still struggle to understand how anyone ever found this game appealing.

From the clearly fake announcement trailer to the Borderlands without the personality gameplay to the offensive premise. Even taking into account Ubisoft's record with online releases I cannot see the appeal of The Division.

/rant.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
This is getting to be a familiar refrain. And I was interested in buying the game right up until I played the "beta" (it was a demo, let's be honest). The $60 that's still in my wallet thanks me for not wasting it.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
I would love to know what kind of reaction a game based around the player being a Gestapo officer in the Warsaw Ghetto would have generated, because the division is more or less that with a palette swap.
yes, because the Gestapo was know for going in outnumbered and outgunned against roving gangs of psycho killers and fully armed paramilitary organizations for the benefit of the civilian population. I have had it up to here with Massive's incompetence, but lets not play the "unfortunate implications" card, because it relies on functionally strawmaning the plot and it works on any game if you try hard enough.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
major_chaos said:
yes, because the Gestapo was know for going in outnumbered and outgunned against roving gangs of psycho killers and fully armed paramilitary organizations for the benefit of the civilian population. I have had it up to here with Massive's incompetence, but lets not play the "unfortunate implications" card, because it relies on functionally strawmaning the plot and it works on any game if you try hard enough.
The Division are non-uniformed government agents, armed with the latest equipment and weaponry their government can provide, with authority over uniformed government forces, no oversight and lethal autonomy.

They are entering an area of a country that their government has walled off and carrying out summary executions on the surviving civilian population who are actively attacking uniformed Government forces because the alternative is starvation and disease.

The implications are overt and extremely unfortunate.

If it's not the Gestapo then it's the Stasi, the KGB or the Ba'ath People's Army or any number of pages in history where secret police forces restored 'order' to their state by making the inconvenient disappear. The Division is game entirely about killing huge numbers of civilians to restore government control in area they've abandoned, even Garrus Vakarian can't make that heroic.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
The Division are non-uniformed government agents, armed with the latest equipment and weaponry their government can provide, with authority over uniformed government forces, no oversight and lethal autonomy.
If by "latest equipment" you mean "a hoodie and a rusty MP5 you picked up off a dead cop" then yes. By the story you are fighting a uphill battle against people with similar or better equipment, the reason you win anyway is contractual videogame protagonist god powers not acknowledged by the lore.

They are entering an area of a country that their government has walled off and carrying out summary executions on the surviving civilian population who are actively attacking uniformed Government forces because the alternative is starvation and disease.
That almost works for literaly one of the four factions, namely the looters who have thrown aside basically any human decency for a ultra-Darwinist "you have what what you take" attitude and are in conflict with uniformed forces as much over not wanting order restored as for supplies. The other three factions are the Cleaners who plan to kill every living person in the city with fire because they believe with fanatic conviction that is the only way to save the country, the Rikers who just rape torture and murder for fun and will slaughter any uniformed official on principle whether its a cop or a medic, and the Last Man Battalion a PMC who caused the final collapse of order by stabbing the government forces in the back to establish their own fascist separatist state.
The Division is called in because the remaining government forces are being massacred at every turn and can no longer functionally protect the remaining civilians, who are also being butchered in the streets en-mass by the aforementioned criminal elements

The implications are overt and extremely unfortunate.
Only if you deliberately omit most of the plot.

even Garrus Vakarian can't make that heroic.
Funny you should mention Mass Effect, because if we are going to play the unfortunate implications game isn't ME2 a game about nominally government loyal black ops agent with no oversight and ties to known terrorists indiscriminately bribing, intimidating, and killing non-military combatants to recruit a gang of murders and thieves in service of a nebulous goal that most people believe is farcical anyway?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I've been playing this for a bit but the only bugs I've noticed introduced have been UI related. Like when in a group my ability to hit L2 to mark an item as junk just doesn't work and minor things like that.

Never gone to a target and found them not to be there. The new missions are a lot of fun, actually. Pretty hard but also maybe too rewarding (I jumped from equipment level 180 to 221 in two days. That's a massive leap that somehow put me in the upper tier of players).

Laggyteabag said:
The game becomes entirely different when you hit 30 and gets a lot better. They really should have made it level 20 where that happens.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Lightknight said:
The game becomes entirely different when you hit 30 and gets a lot better. They really should have made it level 20 where that happens.
Surely the game should've been better at level 1, so that people would actually bother playing to level 20 or 30 in the first place.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Laggyteabag said:
They really don't have a clue haha, they pretty much hit rock bottom when they thought its a good idea to ban players exploiting broken aspects of the game and its been both hilarious and sad to watch them fix one problem by creating three others.

Hope they break their bad luck streak soon at least for those who still play and enjoy it, its never fun being undermined by tech issues in a game like this since it generally results in lots of lost hours and frustration.