GOG Connect Lets You Import Some Steam Games to GOG

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
GOG Connect Lets You Import Some Steam Games to GOG

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1325/1325889.jpgThe newest feature on GOG.com lets you import some Steam games to your GOG account for free.

If you've ever wished that you had bought a game on GOG instead of Steam, there's a chance you might be able to have both. CD Projekt is rolling out a new feature called GOG Connect that will let you link your Steam account with your GOG account. Once you're linked, you can import some games from your Steam account over to GOG.

Obviously, the list of games that this will work for is limited. There are currently 22 games available for import, and the GOG Connect page notes that "The eligible games are limited-time offers made possible by participating developers and publishers, so stay tuned for more games to come." The 22 games listed on the service right now all expire in 5 days, but once you import the game it will remain in your GOG.com account even after the import window has closed. Another caveat is that you can only connect one Steam account to your GOG account, and that connection is permanent.

There are some notable titles on the list of games you can import, like The Witness, FTL: Faster Than Light, Galactic Civilizations 3, and The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. You can see the full list of available games on the GOG Connect page [https://www.gog.com/connect].

You can get more information about the service by reading the GOG Connect FAQ [https://www.gog.com/connect#faq].

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I am very interested on a potential response from Valve, direct or otherwise. Either way, I am definatly going to take advantage of this.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
I wonder whose idea this was? It seems like a neat thing, but something feels off...

<YouTube=AyenRCJ_4Ww>

I'll still use it probably, GOG's offline mode is much less restrictive than Steam. I can see the potential for buying a game when it's cheaper on Steam and when possible transferring it to GOG.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Obviously this isn't an open-ended offer because then we could just buy all the eligible games from Steam, activate them on GOG, and GOG would get no money from us. I'm amazed they're even doing this, but they're probably kind of desperate to get people on board with their service.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
GothmogII said:
I'll still use it probably, GOG's offline mode is much less restrictive than Steam.
GOG is as unrestricted as possible. Online or off, GOG games are completely free of DRM. They *have* a steam-like client, but it's not required -- you can simply download the game off the website copy it to whatever media and install it at your leisure on whatever machine.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Is it taking a million years for anyone else or just me? I love the idea, I've actually bought games on Gog that I already had on Steam just to get away from the restrictions (for example I can stick the installer for games I bought through Gog on a flashdrive for easy transport to a place with no internet).

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Hm hm... nice idea again. Doesn't work for me though. Timed out a few times, Now it's just "processing" for about an hour...

Ah well, i guess it will be fixed soo. I think i've got a few games which can be synched up. (Even though i usually buy them at Gog, if possible... but i think i fell a few times for a sale on steam, hehe)

EDIT:
YOUR ACCOUNTS ARE BEING CONNECTED

Due to exceedingly high demand this may take up to several days, please check back later. Thank you for your patience.

(Lol, ok. It's fun if something high-tech says: "Might take a few days, guy") Still.. free service is always good, so no complaints.)

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
good to see them expanding the service they did with the witcher to other games like this

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
ffronw said:
You can see the full list of available games on the GOG Connect page [https://www.gog.com/connect].
Maybe we could before, but they're not showing now, presumably due to the same high demand that's making the connect process so backlogged. Does anyone have a full list?

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Edit: Nevermind, I just had to be logged out to see it. I don't know why that is, but oh well.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Covarr said:
Edit: Nevermind, I just had to be logged out to see it. I don't know why that is, but oh well.
I think that if you are logged in and connected, you only see the games that you can bring over.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The Witness?

YES THANK YOU THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED. I literally bought The Witness about a month before it came to GOG and I was a little bit irritated!

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Saelune said:
I am very interested on a potential response from Valve, direct or otherwise. Either way, I am definatly going to take advantage of this.
I don't see why Valve would need to make any response to this. GoG is just basically gifting people games. Hell, it actually encourages people to not buy those games from GoG, because the GoG buy only gets them the GoG version. The Steam-buy gives them the steam and the GoG version.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Cool idea, though when I tried the link it told me that it could take "days", so it likely won't be viable for a little while. I'm interested in this though, I prefer to use GOG over Steam when given the choice.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Steve the Pocket said:
Obviously this isn't an open-ended offer because then we could just buy all the eligible games from Steam, activate them on GOG, and GOG would get no money from us. I'm amazed they're even doing this, but they're probably kind of desperate to get people on board with their service.
I suspect the sales that they're getting from the games in question have dwindled to such a degree that they've carefully calculated that they have very little to lose. And besides, if someone starts playing Broken Sword: Shadows of the Templar because of this, maybe they'll tell people about it and encourage them to buy the game themselves. I suspect all those Humble Bundles work in much the same way.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Oh, that's cool! I'm no longer mad at them for buying that "fixed" Saints Row 2 which was actually still a piece of shit.

Edit: It works. It took less than a day.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Steve the Pocket said:
Or maybe they're just incredibly generous people and this is their latest effort in spreading the good will. The fine folks at GoG seem the type.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
There we go, I've been connected.

And BOOM THE WITNESS IS IN MY GOG LIBRARY AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
It's been so long since I had to put in my Steam password that I actually have no idea what it is.