Pokemon Sun and Moon - Meet the Legendaries

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Pokemon Sun and Moon - Meet the Legendaries

Solgaleo and Lunala, the Legendary Pokemon from Sun and Moon, have been detailed.

We got a brief look at the duo when the starter Pokemon and release date were revealed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167393-Starter-Pokemon-for-Pokemon-Sun-and-Moon#&gid=gallery_6224&pid=1], but today the Pokemon Company and Nintendo formally introduced the Legendary Pokemon that will be found in Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon when the games reach Nintendo 3DS November 18 in North America and November 23 in Europe. The two Legendary Pokemon - Solgaleo and Lunala - will "play a crucial role in the story."

Here are some facts provided in a press release:

Solgaleo
Category: Sunne Pokemon
Height: 11′02″
Weight: 507.1 lbs.
Type: Psychic/Steel
Ability: Full Metal Body

Honoured as an emissary of the sun since ancient times, Solgaleo is referred to with reverence as "the beast that devours the sun." Solgaleo's body holds a vast amount of energy, and it shines with light when it is active. It has a flowing mane with a remarkable resemblance to the sun. Its signature move is Sunsteel Strike, an attack that charges at an opponent with the force of a meteor, disregarding the target's Ability. Solgaleo's Ability is Full Metal Body, a new Ability that no previous Pokemon has had. With the Full Metal Body Ability, a Pokemon's stats will not be lowered by the effects of an opponent's moves or Ability.

Lunala
Category: Moone Pokemon
Height: 13′01″
Weight: 264.6 lbs.
Type: Psychic/Ghost
Ability: Shadow Shield

Since ancient times, Lunala has been honoured as an emissary of the moon. Referred to with reverence as "the beast that calls the moon," Lunala is constantly absorbing light and converting it into energy. With its wings spread to absorb the surrounding light and glittering like the crescent moon, it resembles a beautiful night sky. Lunala's signature Moongeist Beam attack releases an ominous beam of light that disregards the target's Ability.
Lunala's Ability is Shadow Shield, a new Ability that no previous Pokemon has had. With the Shadow Shield Ability, a Pokemon will take less damage from an attack that lands when the Pokemon has full HP.
The games take place in the Alola region, comprised of four tropical islands and one artificial one, with "many Pokemon that have never been seen before." Other characters include Professor Kukui, the region's Pokemon professor, Lillie, a "mysterious girl who assists the professor" and isn't too happy about making Pokemon fight, and Hau, one of the main character's first friends.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
They should ask Valve to make videos for each starter and Version exclusive legendary a la their "Meet the..." videos.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
A lot of people were predicting a return to a Japanese region.
This appears to be the Philippines. Props to where they're due, that's a setting that's gone untapped in gaming.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Kibeth41 said:
The sun legendary, not a fire type.
The moon legendary, not a dark type.

Way to give the finger to predictability. The typings still make little sense in my opinion, though.
Ditto.

OT- I find it strange that they didn't show Lunala ability.

Also AWH! I wanted to see more new Pokemons!

Lastly, so wait if Rotom is the Pokedex itself, can I send it into battle???

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
That moon thing looks like something you'd dangle above a baby's cot. Sunlion seems pretty rad though. Not sure why he has hockey pucks on his feet though. I'd have thought claws were useful.

Their abilities seems pretty cool!

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Thanks.
I was afraid I would encounter unknown things that would surprise and scare me.
Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop nintendo.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'll admit I'm pretty disappointed in Solgaleo's typing. And having two more psychic type legends is a bit boring, since it's the most common legendary type I believe. I'm okay with the mascots of a new gen sharing a typing, since that's the case in gen 2, 4, and 5, but even more psychic types is overdone at this point. Counting these two, there are 15 psychic legendary Pokemon now.

It's also funny the Sun legend is weak to fire, and the Moon legend is a 4x weakness to dark. That seems a bit off to me. An ability on Solgaleo to resist fire would have been cool, and Lunala being able to take a dark attack better would make more sense too. But Lunala basically having Multiscale is pretty neat.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
MCerberus said:
This appears to be the Philippines. Props to where they're due, that's a setting that's gone untapped in gaming.
I was getting a huge Hawaiian vibe.

OT: That lion is not a Fire/Electric type and I am disappointed. It's just a Jirachi with feet....like, WHY STEEL?!

Kataiser

Apr 16, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
The sun legendary, not a fire type.
The moon legendary, not a dark type.
Not just that, the Sun legendary takes 2x damage from fire, and the Moon legendary takes 4x from dark. Pretty ironic.

Solgaleo's Ability is Full Metal Body, a new Ability that no previous Pokemon has had. With the Full Metal Body Ability, a Pokemon's stats will not be lowered by the effects of an opponent's moves or Ability.

Clear Body.

Lunala's Ability is Shadow Shield, a new Ability that no previous Pokemon has had. With the Shadow Shield Ability, a Pokemon will take less damage from an attack that lands when the Pokemon has full HP.
Multiscale.

Really, making cloned abilities with no changes is just silly. I hope they do something different than what's listed when they're actually in game.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Wow, Shadow Shield is Multiscale. That's not going to bode well for a Pokemon with 4x Dark weakness.

But making another Metagross is pretty lazy.

MCerberus said:
it's hawaii

the commercial is of a kid going to hawaii

japan is in love with hawaii

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
EHKOS said:
MCerberus said:
I was getting a huge Hawaiian vibe.

OT: That lion is not a Fire/Electric type and I am disappointed. It's just a Jirachi with feet....like, WHY STEEL?!
The day I found out the names of the games, I had predicted/hoped the Sun Legend would be either Fire/Electric, or Fire/Grass. After actually seeing Solgaleo, I figured it would still be Fire/Electric, or some sort of fire type, easy. Like I mentioned in my post, it being psychic/steel is very disappointing to me. Were this a gen 5 and earlier game, that typing would be really nice, but the weakness to ghost and dark among others makes it much less impressive.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Okay I just want to say... the Moon representative being a Bat makes perfect sense.

Because what do you think of when you hear Moon, Bat, and Pokemon in the same sentence?

..........this pokemon will be pure evil and never leave us alone, I promise you that. BUY ALL YOUR REPELS PEOPLE, FOR THE SPIRIT OF MOUNT MOON RISES!!!!

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
And now I'm a lot less excited for Solgaleo. Seriously? How in the hell is the emissary of the sun weak to FIRE of all things? Its typing sounds like an awesome idea at first, until you realize the massive design flaw, at which point GF should have thought "yeah that's stupid, let's make him Fire/Electric, or Fire/Psychic, or Fire/Steel, or just something that is NOT weak to fire". Surely someone at GF caught onto this, and yet they went with it anyway.