Nordic Games Planning to "Get Started" on a Destroy All Humans Game

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nordic Games Planning to "Get Started" on a Destroy All Humans Game

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1326/1326989.jpgIt sounds like Nordic Games may be planning to do something with the Destroy All Humans IP soon.

Back in 2013, the IP owned by THQ was auctioned off to the highest bidder, and Nordic Games came out of that auction with a lot of recognizable franchises [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123462-] in their control. One of those franchises was Destroy All Humans.

The Pandemic-developed sci-fi alien spoof was good for four games before THQ went under, and since then, gamers have been asking when they might see it return. Last year, Nordic said that they were, "on Twitter [https://twitter.com/nordicgamesat/status/624245956758908928] that the company might be closer to working on game. He wrote, "There are a few options we are evaluating now. Hope to get started on one of these soon."

What those "few options" are isn't elaborated on, but I can think of at least three distinct choices the company could have. First, they could simply re-release all the old games on Steam, PSN, and Xbox Live. Second, they could remaster one or all of the old games. Finally, they could make a whole new game in the series.

Whatever route they take, it's likely that many gamers will be keeping an eye on their progress.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Isn't this the company that also got the rights to Darksiders?

As much fun as I remember Destroy All Humans! being when I was a kid, a new Darksiders is what I'm really after.

Besides, the only really good games in the DaH! series were the first one and maybe the second.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Did anybody play the last DAH game? It was terrible. I got it on sale for 1.50 and still felt like a waste of currency. Now if they inject some actual cash and effort into this, there may be hope. I'd like to see a kind of GTA clone on acid with this series.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
The first game was fantastic and the second could be fun. Hopefully if there is a new one it'll be closer to the first.

I'd be pretty happy with a PSN re-release though. The PS2 emulations on there have been pretty consistently great so far.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
VoidWanderer said:
I think they should go for a full reboot, it has been YEARS since we had the last game.
Not to mention, since each moved a decade forward, there's only be room for two more (three if they delay it enough). Here, a reboot actually makes sense.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
ffronw said:
The Pandemic-developed sci-fi alien spoof was good for four games before THQ went under...
Not quite right. Only the first 2 games were developed by Pandemic, while Big Willy Unleashed was developed by the now-defunct Locomotive Games, and Path of Furon by the apparently nonexistent Sandblast Games.

And as for 'good'... well Path of Furon is THQs worst rated non-liscenced release. According to Metacritic at least.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I wouldn't mind an HD remake of the three main games. Considering I never beat 2 or even played Path of the Furon. Though a straight up new entry in the series would be perfectly fine as well.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
I liked the first two, but never played the others. Apparently I didn't miss anything, going by how universally panned they were (well, the third one merely got a mediocre reception, but Path of the Furon was not well liked).

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
PPLLLEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEEEE???
I miss DaH! so much, 1 and 2 were great, Big Willy Unleashed was... ugh, a mistake... and Path of the Furon was a fun little romp, but easy. It felt so out of place that I could walk around and not hear people screaming until I started shooting.

Fuck, just update the graphics on 1 and 2 and I'll be a happy camper! ;~;

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Nordic games does seem intent on slowly reviving the various franchises they bought. They allready did develop two expansions for spellforce 2 and are currently working on a third one. Their second expansion was pretty decent, though I wasn't a fan of the story, and the first expansion was a horrible mess of a game. So I will just wait and see what they do from now on. They do seem to have good intentions behind the aquisition of the franchises, but I don't really know if they have the manpower and finances to truly continue those franchises.

And we allready know that they don't have any problems releasing bad products. After the release of their first spellforce 2 expansion we found out that they knew that the expansion was bad. They had gotten that half-finished expansion when buying the IP. And considering that that expansion had been in work during the downfall of it's publisher it's not surprising that the work done on it was a mess. But instead of scraping it or even just reworking it to be functional they just patched it up a bit and released it anyway.