Warner Bros. Backs Square's Eidos Bid

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Warner Bros. Backs Square's Eidos Bid

Warner Bros., a giant stakeholder in game company Eidos, is supporting Square Enix's acquisition offer for the British publisher.

The movie studio, media conglomerate and 20 percent shareholder of Eidos "irrevocably" announced its support for Square Enix's takeover by promising its votes when the shareholders elect whether to accept an acquisition offer.

Square Enix's purchase proposal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/89401-Square-Enix-Confirms-Eidos-Bid] last week for $120 million doubled Eidos's share price in England. The Japanese game giant intelligently placed public pressure on Warner Bros. to accept its bid by publicly reminding the firm that it would have to accept the acquisition, make a counter-offer or face years of shareholder lawsuits for not increasing their value given the chance.

Warner will be combining its 52.5 million-plus shares with Square and its shareholders for a 36 percent interest in Eidos, a large jump closer to reaching the majority votes necessary to pass the purchase.

With no competitive offers in sight and shareholders almost assuredly going to accept the lucrative deal, Eidos will soon be Japan-ified and Square will continue to globalize and consolidate the industry heavyweights into fewer firms.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/33252/Warner-backs-Square-Enixs-bid-for-Eidos], GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/warner-bros-backs-square-eidos-bid]

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Squeenix is trying to become the EA of Japan, so they're buying up whatever ailing companies they can in hopes of diversifying their gaming palatte. They tried to do the same thing with Tecmo a little while ago remember?

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, FUCK NO.
Eidos created the Hitman series, brilliant game.
I don't want to see a damn Hitman game whit anime crap in it.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
Tomb Raider JRPG confirmed, 'cept Lara's a teenage boy. Her design won't be changed, though.

Jul 9, 2008
AndyFromMonday said:
Just because Squeenix will own them doesn't mean they'll have influence on the content of the games themselves.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
orannis62 said:
AndyFromMonday said:
Just because Squeenix will own them doesn't mean they'll have influence on the content of the games themselves.
I can only hope.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
SirSchmoopy said:
What the hell does Sqaure want with Tomb Raider?
What the hell does Square want with the company that botched their attempt to bring FF to the PC?

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
SirSchmoopy said:
What the hell does Sqaure want with Tomb Raider?
So they can put Lara Croft in a Final Fantasy game, that's the only thing I can see them doing with her.