Major Witcher 3 Patch is in The Works

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Major Witcher 3 Patch is in The Works

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1319/1319634.jpg
Geralt's story may have concluded in The Witcher 3 - Blood and Wine, but CD Projekt Red haven't quite finished with the game.

You'd be fair to assume that CD Projket Red have washed their hands of The Witcher 3, especially after repeatedly stating that Blood and Wine [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/17081-The-Witcher-3-Blood-And-Wine-Review#&gid=gallery_6260&pid=1] would be Geralt's final adventure. But you'd be wrong, as the developer has announced that while the game will receive no more DLC content, a major patch is currently in the works.

"We're working on the next patch and hoping to have it out as soon as possible. Should address all major reported issues," Tweeted [https://twitter.com/Marcin360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw] CDPR's community manager Marcin Momot. We're not entirely sure of what this patch will fix exactly, as the only thing Momot confirmed is that the "camera not locking onto enemies" glitch has been remedied.

If you're interested in what other major issues players have been having, you may wanna check out this thread [http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forums/174-Tech-Support] on the official Witcher forums.

Most of the issues are fairly minor, and not exactly what you'd call gamebreaking, but this level of dedication from CD Projekt Red is all but expected at this stage.

I hope they can sneak a few extra goodies into the patch, so we can have one last taste of The Witcher before closing the book on him for good.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/Marcin360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw]

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
I mean I love CDPR, but is it really "great news!" when a company merely fixes the bugs and problems that were in the game they released?

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
We're so delighted because the standard of QA and Support these days is so awful that it's remarkable when a company actually does their due diligence and treats their customers as valued.

I'm not taking anything away from CDPR, in fact i'd love to see more companies follow their example!

Fallow

NSFB
Oct 29, 2014
Amaror said:
I mean I love CDPR, but is it really "great news!" when a company merely fixes the bugs and problems that were in the game they released?
It shouldn't be, but I have never heard of any other company that actually keeps on updating the game after it's passed the ROI point. At best, companies will fix the critical stuff and leave the rest, nothing like the dedication displayed by CDPR.

In a perfect world, this wouldn't be noteworthy, but right now no other company in the world (that I'm aware of) goes to this level to actually deliver the promised product.

Hooray for CDPR, and thank you for actually caring about gamers beyond their wallets.

ZCAB

Jan 15, 2013
Country
Netherlands
Amaror said:
Calling it "great news" would be going a bit far (and no one did), but yes, as it is now I do think the game is well past the point that we could have expected them to keep fixing it.

We're only a generation-and-a-half and just over a decade into downloadable patches being a thing on consoles. Before that, many classic games were released with far more problems than The Witcher 3 has in its current state. This is well beyond the call of duty.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
ZCAB said:
Amaror said:
Calling it "great news" would be going a bit far (and no one did), but yes, as it is now I do think the game is well past the point that we could have expected them to keep fixing it.
Not really. They just released a major expansion, which has quite the number of bugs and quirks I might add. And I do think that every time that a company releases something for money, we can at least expect 1 or 2 patches that fix the various bugs and problems that release has.
I only played the expansion for a few hours so far and it really is a great expansion, but I would be quite pissed of if they didn't release any patches for it. There are quite a number of bugs and problems in it so far and I do expect them to fix those before stopping development of the game.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Currently the only issues I've had are odd instances where I can't consume potions on occasions and a few UI hiccups.

The biggest issue right now is Roaches tail or mane disappearing. It's not gamebreaking but it's a serious eyesore seeing roaches bare arse without her tail. I found a work around (PC only) which involves using a command console (need a mod to activate it) to kill roach, then you call her again and she's back as good as new (rinse and repeat if she loses it again).

For anyone curious, here's the mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1555/?. Just follow the instructions to install it, and when in game mount the tailless roach and hit f2 and in the command bar that drops down type KillHorse(). The command is case sensitive.

Next time you wistle for her she'll be back to her old self.

Credit for this solution goes to a clever person on the Witcher forums who I've forgotten and I can't find the original post for anymore.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Ragsnstitches said:
I had a bit more problems with it personally.
Quite often roach bugs out and I can't call him anymore. Just nothing happened when I press the button.
Some quests were bugged. For example when I wanted to train horseracing during the tourney quest I just got teleported to Corvo Bianco. Don't ask me why.
Additionally most achievements seem to be bugged. I completed quite a few of them but none show up in galaxy. It's not a huge issue, but I like getting achievements and would like to not loose out on them.
All in all nothing gamebreaking really. But certainly something I could do without.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Fallow said:
It shouldn't be, but I have never heard of any other company that actually keeps on updating the game after it's passed the ROI point. At best, companies will fix the critical stuff and leave the rest, nothing like the dedication displayed by CDPR.
Have you not heard of Blizzard? People complain about them for all kinds of reasons, some of them even valid, but in terms of supporting their old games no-one, including CDPR, comes close to being in the same league. The most recent patch for Diablo 2 (released 16 years ago) was released in March this year, and you can still play Warcraft 2 and Starcraft (both released last millennium, with Warcraft 2 over 20 years old now) on Battlenet. In other words, Blizzard have been supporting some of their games for longer than CDProjekt have been developing games at all. It's nice that CDPR aren't complete arseholes like many developers, but providing patches to a game barely a year old that was still under active development until a week ago is hardly enough to consider their support particularly out of the ordinary, let alone unique.

Fallow

NSFB
Oct 29, 2014
Kahani said:
Fallow said:
Have you not heard of Blizzard? People complain about them for all kinds of reasons, some of them even valid, but in terms of supporting their old games no-one, including CDPR, comes close to being in the same league. The most recent patch for Diablo 2 (released 16 years ago) was released in March this year, and you can still play Warcraft 2 and Starcraft (both released last millennium, with Warcraft 2 over 20 years old now) on Battlenet. In other words, Blizzard have been supporting some of their games for longer than CDProjekt have been developing games at all. It's nice that CDPR aren't complete arseholes like many developers, but providing patches to a game barely a year old that was still under active development until a week ago is hardly enough to consider their support particularly out of the ordinary, let alone unique.
That's fair. I didn't include Blizzard because of their games getting worse and worse ever since WoW the original came out and Diablo 3 having a real-money AH but no pvp at launch - I consider Blizzard a has-been these days, much like EA. But you are correct in that they do support their games for a long time. I would not consider Blizzard at the same level as CDPR though, as they have yet to release a free-for-those-that-purchased-the-original enhanced edition with updated graphics or remove copy-protection purely for the benefit of the gamers.

ZCAB

Jan 15, 2013
Country
Netherlands
Amaror said:
ZCAB said:
Amaror said:
Not really. They just released a major expansion, which has quite the number of bugs and quirks I might add. And I do think that every time that a company releases something for money, we can at least expect 1 or 2 patches that fix the various bugs and problems that release has.
I only played the expansion for a few hours so far and it really is a great expansion, but I would be quite pissed of if they didn't release any patches for it. There are quite a number of bugs and problems in it so far and I do expect them to fix those before stopping development of the game.
Obviously, I was talking about the base game, which was regularly updated for over a year before Blood and Wine came out. That's where the praise for CDPR comes from, not the fact they're patching a DLC just after it comes out.