The Witcher 3's Gwent Card Game Will be a Standalone Release

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Witcher 3's Gwent Card Game Will be a Standalone Release

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1327/1327749.jpgCD Projekt is apparently planning to release Gwent, a standalone version of The Witcher 3's in-game CCG.

If a European trademark filing made by CD Projekt is any indication, we could soon see The Witcher 3's Gwent card game as a standalone title. The filing was spotted by NerdLeaks [http://nerdleaks.com/videogames/cd-projekt-will-announce-gwent-the-witcher-card-game-278], and contains little information. However, we did know that CD Projekt was planning on announcing a new game at E3, and that the company had said that it would be a "new type of video game format previously unexplored by the studio."

That would tend to make you think that Gwent will be a video game. If so, it will likely hit not only PC, but consoles as well, as The Witcher 3 has done well on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

Gwent received a lot of praise from gamers as a part of The Witcher 3, so it's not surprising that it could get its own game. The CCG genre has seen a bit of a renaissance of late thanks to Hearthstone, and it would be a nice way to bridge the gap between The Witcher 3 and whatever comes next for CD Projekt.

I can't deny that I was hoping for an actual physical version of Gwent to play with my friends, but I guess that just wasn't in the cards [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppAs6ZdI].

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Fuck yes! Obviously it would need significant balance tweaks since the Northern realms are easily the best with all of their spies, but I'd actually really enjoy this as a standalone release (presuming they release a lot more cards too). Although, a lot of the fun of Gwent was in actually going around the world and collecting the cards, so I'm curious to see what they'd do to fill in that hole.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Seems cool, but they would seriously need to rework the rules of the game for that. The way it currently is in the game just means that most cards are just clearly better or worse than other cards, since there wasn't any cost to playing them. Wouldn't work too well in a standalone CCG.

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
Only one question: why? This was in my opinion the worst part of the game. Fortunately completely optional. If they would make an online version of Dice Poker on the other hand... :D

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
This is cool, and I will definitely be interested. But I sincerely hope that they add more complexity to the game's mechanics, because there are clearly superior strategies, born from a very very very limited pool of cards and Heroes, that just about every player would use, making the game ultimately boring to play against non-A.I. players.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
fractal_butterfly said:
Only one question: why? This was in my opinion the worst part of the game. Fortunately completely optional. If they would make an online version of Dice Poker on the other hand... :D
No offense, but you're in the minority from what I've seen. A lot of people loved Gwent, so they're making a game based on it for them.

In other news, I wonder when they're actually going to make real life cards (and not the ones that came with the collector's edition). It'd definitely add to their funds as a company. License it out to some tabletop company, have them make it based on how it is in Witcher 3, have a dev or two oversee development, and rake in the cash.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
I can't deny that I was hoping for an actual physical version of Gwent to play with my friends, but I guess that just wasn't in the cards.
aehm... there is a physical card game of Gwent! Buy the Expansions as the "collectors edition"! Of course there is little card variation and probably nothing new will be released, but you can play with your friends!