Here's Some Battlefield 1 Gameplay For You

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Here's Some Battlefield 1 Gameplay For You

EA and DICE showed off some more Battlefield 1 gameplay, and shared more information on the upcoming game, at EA's E3 press conference today.

Closing out its E3 2016 press conference today, EA and DICE gave gamers more of a taste of what we can expected with Battlefield 1, including dynamic weather, like fog and rain, that impacts the landscape and things like what you see and hear, forcing players to adapt their play styles to accommodate these changes. There will also be "intuitive destruction," letting you "leave your mark" on the terrain. There are also new vehicles, appropriately called "Behemoths," which are "the largest fully player-controlled vehicles ever seen in Battlefield.

"With Battlefield 1 we're looking to deliver the most dynamic shooter ever. We want to make sure that no battle is ever the same for the players, and with the introduction of Operations, we're giving the fans variety for game play and creativity," said Aleksander Grondal, Senior Producer, DICE, in a statement. "Plus, with the new Behemoths, only in Battlefield 1 can you bring an Air Ship to a dogfight."

If all that sounds awesome to you, you're in luck - even though the game is releasing on October 21 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Origin for PC, there will be an open beta later this summer.

[gallery=6281]

Feb 7, 2016
Everything about this looks and feels very off to me in some way.

They could have changed the music for one, possibly something more in tune with the time period they are going for.
Instead they went for the "hyping" trailer music you hear in every borderline crappy modern entertainment product.

I would have been blown away with some kind of appropriately orchestral background music, like with the original Battlefield 1942/43 theme.

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
This trailer, hearing pain and gain ... why I'm thinking of Michael Bay now I wonder. Literally an assault to the senses.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Yup, it's a shit trailer as far as I can see. Totally in line with drab tropes that plague trailers not just from games but movies as well.

That said, I still very much like the bits of gameplay that I see. My hands are itching to dive in a Sopwith Camel and get into some real dogfights. None of that jetfighter bullshit, no sir!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
After the years of waiting for another GOOD Battlefield...I'm just too wary.

I HOPE it will be good, but so many disappointments...

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
And I was stupid enough to believe that they'd have actual gameplay in a gameplay trailer. Silly me.

Please EA/DICE. All I want to know, is if there are any Battlefront 'features' in this so I can cease looking forward to it now. Please don't waste my hope, I so very little of it left.

EDIT: for anyone else that missed it, there's people re-streaming the bf1 MP event with ACTUAL gameplay.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
trailer was rather disappointing. just alone the music was so off, like it was clearly aimed at kids who usually get hyped when they hear and see things like this.

i think i will skip out on that one. BF3 and 4 are dead for ages in australia. even now i cant find a single server that has people playing. so im afraid this will apply for this installment as well after some time.

FliedLiverAttack

Nov 29, 2013
Gotta love how [actual gameplay footage] lasts a literal three seconds before going to a cutscene. Also what's with pretty much every gun being auto does that mean the weapons are very un-WWI-like or was that just the trailer being misleading?

Edit:Nevermind saw the actual gameplay did some cool things, mostly a bummer.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
FliedLiverAttack said:
Also what's with pretty much every gun being auto does that mean the weapons are very un-WWI-like or was that just the trailer being misleading?
It's Standard FPS Guns™. How do we fit them in a war fought mostly with bolt-action rifles and pistols[footnote]And e-tools, I haven't seen a single fucking e-tool[/footnote]? Easy! We pretend SMGs weren't almost non-existent, and that 10+kg MGs are actually assault rifles.
What's the point of making a WWI game, then? Good question.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
FliedLiverAttack said:
Also what's with pretty much every gun being auto does that mean the weapons are very un-WWI-like or was that just the trailer being misleading?
There were actually a few submachine guns that were used in the final year of the war and the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) that you see WWII shooters was actually first introduced in the final months of WWI.

The gun at 00:43 looks like a Beretta M1918 submachine gun and the one at 00:46 looks like a Hotchkiss M1909 light machine gun.

That being said I hope they do something to reduce the use of automatic weapons on the battlefield otherwise its probably just gonna be WWII but with older looking weapons and tech.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
Zetatrain said:
FliedLiverAttack said:
There were actually a few submachine guns that were used in the final year of the war and the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) that you see WWII shooters was actually first introduced in the final months of WWI.

The gun at 00:43 looks like a Beretta M1918 submachine gun and the one at 00:46 looks like a Hotchkiss M1909 light machine gun.

That being said I hope they do something to reduce the use of automatic weapons on the battlefield otherwise its probably just gonna be WWII but with older looking weapons and tech.
Hell, automatic weapons weren't even that common until late WW2, usually you had a squad of eight soldiers with one officer armed with a SMG, one LMG if you're a lucky squad, and everyone else is armed with single shot rifles.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
Zetatrain said:
FliedLiverAttack said:

Hell, automatic weapons weren't even that common until late WW2, usually you had a squad of eight soldiers with one officer armed with a SMG, one LMG if you're a lucky squad, and everyone else is armed with single shot rifles.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
The gameplay looks fun - especially aviation - but that music. Generic ebonics pseudo-rap like in every other recent war game.

"Yeeuh yeeuh gon' change tha worl'"

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
As someone else said, there's a lot of raw gameplay out now.

And from what I have seen from that gameplay, this game really evokes a Bad Company feel.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
everyone is talking about guns being automatic and whatnot and i just sit there thinking "why the hell are tanks so fast? they were not this fast in WW1"

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Having watched some gameplay... it's going to devolve into full auto. They're digging up any and every gun that could be even loosely thrown into WW1 (Fair enough, DICE enjoys prototypes and whatnot) and there seems to be a focus on getting SMGs and LMGs.
I kinda wanted it to be largely bolt action, with tanks and MGs able to lock down areas (outside of a sniper or artillery). Maybe have the MGs jam a lot like they did.
Speaking of tanks...

Strazdas said:
everyone is talking about guns being automatic and whatnot and i just sit there thinking "why the hell are tanks so fast? they were not this fast in WW1"
Now I've only heard this from hearsay, but apparently people trying the games thought the tanks were too slow. So the devs sped them up. Apparently they were still too slow.
Could be wrong, buuut I wouldn't be surprised.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
JemothSkarii said:
Strazdas said:
Now I've only heard this from hearsay, but apparently people trying the games thought the tanks were too slow. So the devs sped them up. Apparently they were still too slow.
Could be wrong, buuut I wouldn't be surprised.
See the thing about WW1 tanks was that they were tractors with armor. A person could outrun them easily, they were basically moving cover for infantry. Yes, from a gameplay perspective it would be a very slow and boring experience, hence why they probably going to keep them being too fast.