First Dawn of War 3 Gameplay Trailer Shows off the Glory of Combat

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
First Dawn of War 3 Gameplay Trailer Shows off the Glory of Combat

Relic is giving us a first look at gameplay from Dawn of War 3.

One of the great things about E3 is getting to see all the new trailers, and one of the great things about this E3 is that one of those trailers is for Dawn of War 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167333-Dawn-of-War-3-Announced-in-New-Trailer]. Relic's return to the world of Warhammer is long-awaited, and if this new trailer is any indicator, gamers will be rewarded for their patience.

Dawn of War 3 is set for a 2017 release, but there's been no info on any specific date. That said, if Relic can deliver the gameplay that they've said mixes the styles of the first two titles in the series, you can bet the game will do well once it does release.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Ultramarines >>>>> Blood Ravens.

I rather play a Dawn of War campaign with them. I mean 1 Ultramarine soldier were enough to do this:

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Yup, as I suspected, it appears Relic haven't lost their touch.
Now, if someone could just contract them to finally make a sequel to Space Marine...

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I always really liked how integral a part cover could play in combat for Dawn of War 2. With Eldar for example trying to stand in the open like that was suicide, which is why you'd set up force shields and other obstacles for protection of your base rank guardians while luring the other player into the 'kill-zone' with more durable units like banshee or wraithlord.

Hopefully those sort of tactics haven't been completely abandoned in the furor over 'Bigger battles roar!' that seems to always pop up in every DoW topic. I agree that bigger fights are awesome, but not if they come at the cost of depth.

Those sorts of thoughts aside it looks nifty.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Meaty. Even though that was pre-alpha footage, the combat looked awesome and like it had some weight behind it. Plus that Knight air-drop gave me chills.

Also Gabe, was that you? Prooooobably a place-holder Force Commander(Oh, the joys of Pre-Alpha) but I would not be opposed to seeing more of my favourite Blood Raven.

Justank

Nov 17, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Ultramarines >>>>> Blood Ravens.

I rather play a Dawn of War campaign with them. I mean 1 Ultramarine soldier were enough to do this:
And I've gibbed an Ultramarine commander in one round with a single squad of Fire Warriors, so clearly basic Tau infantry >>>> the best Ultramarines

Looks solid so far, frame rate is the only glaring issue and that's likely just due to a lack of optimization this early. Have to wait and see how they actually set up base building/resources though.

The most important thing though is how in depth will the army painter be in multiplayer? I spent more time there than playing the game in DoW2.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Looks like an iOS port.
And since when could cataphractii terminator armor let you jump dozens of feet into the air?

emeril322

Jul 12, 2012
Okay I know I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to 40k stuff, but what's that mech that's gigantic compared to the dreadnaught out on the field? o_O

LTenhet

Jun 26, 2012
emeril322 said:
Okay I know I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to 40k stuff, but what's that mech that's gigantic compared to the dreadnaught out on the field? o_O
Imperial Knight, they're mini-Titans. They're also awesome. They're literal Feudal Knights in Mechs.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Holy shit, and that's only a pre-alpha build? Looks friggin' awesome.

I'm glad they're moving back to the giant scale battles of the first game. I'm hoping they'll also leave the option to have persistent bodies. Loved playing games vs Orcs and just having it get to the point where your guys were literally wading through dead Greenskins.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Well, I already saw from the first screenshots that it looks like shit, but now I see that the animations are also stiff as hell and what the fuck was that voice acting? That didn't sound like Paul Dobson.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
My first experience with DoW3 was this video:

and it looks... well... eh. Combat seems to lack any impact to me, the Eldar seem really NOT squishy. Not to mention we only start with three races, and I'm guessing Chaos will be a pre-order bonus or some nickel-and-diming crap.

At least they brought back base building.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
JemothSkarii said:
the Eldar seem really NOT squishy.
Eldar aren't supposed to be squishy. The tabletop game treats toughness and armour separately, with Eldar having low toughness but good armour which overall makes them more survivable than Orks, and nearly every other faction except Space Marines.

Not to mention we only start with three races, and I'm guessing Chaos will be a pre-order bonus or some nickel-and-diming crap.
It's a shame to have so few factions, but I'd rather see a few of them done well than try to throw everything in and make a mess of it (ie. Soulstorm). And I'm extremely thankful that for once it's not all revolving around Chaos. Remember the original Dawn of War only had four factions, and plenty of RTS games are perfectly good with only two or three. Just because the Warhammer world includes a whole bunch of factions doesn't mean they all have to have a starring role in every game. As long as any additions are decent value for money, as they were with both previous DoW games, I don't see a problem here.