Woman Sues Microsoft Over Downgrade Payment: Updated

Feb 13, 2008
Woman Sues Microsoft Over Downgrade Payment: Updated

When Emma Alvarado bought a pre-loaded laptop with Vista, it cost her $59.25 to get a downgrade to XP, which she's hoping to get back in court.

Alvarado's basic complaint is that Microsoft is using their monopoly to force people to pay for downgrades. Her suit [http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/techtracks/090211%20Doc%201%2C%20Complaint.pdf], states, "Consumers have encountered numerous problems using the Vista operating system, and these problems have been widely publicized in various media outlets. As a result, many consumers would prefer to purchase a new computer pre-installed with the Windows XP operating system or at least not pre-installed with the Vista operating system."

Microsoft responded by saying, "We still have not been served with the Alvarado lawsuit, so it would be premature to comment on the complaint or the specific allegations." That said, "Microsoft offers downgrade rights as part of some Windows Vista licenses, including Windows Vista Business purchased through the OEM channel."

This new filing comes on the heels of US District Judge Marsha Pechman giving consumers the go-ahead in February 2008 to file a class action lawsuit against Microsoft for providing misleading information about Windows XP computers being able to run Vista, back in December 2006.

Source: The Register [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/16/microsoft_sued_over_vista_to_xp_downgrade/]

UPDATE:
This Thursday, Emma Alvarado has upgraded her complaint to the Seattle court.

While the original suit still stands, more details have been added on how Microsoft is allegedly screwing the market by charging for downgrades.

Her allegation is based on the idea that people buying Vista Basic need to first upgrade to Vista Business/Professional before they pay to downgrade to XP Professional, so you can only downgrade from the most expensive OS to the most expensive XP OS.

This practice means that Microsoft would "inflate its sales figures for Vista" without people using it. She also cites a customer who had to pay $130 to downgrade, something at odds with Microsoft's claims.

Microsoft's response was to repeat its claim from last time: "Microsoft does not charge or receive any additional royalty if a customer exercises those [downgrade from Vista to XP] rights. Some customers may choose or need to obtain media or installation services from third parties to install the downgrade version."

The plot, and the case, thickens.

Source: The Register [http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/03/09/vista_xp_downgrade_lawsuit/]

Datalord

Oct 9, 2008
WOW, $60, lets go pay thousands to hire lawyers and pay for a lawsuit to get back $60.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I have had no problems with Vista. A lot of the problems are perpetuated by the Mac ads. She should get over it. Besides, windows 7 beta is out.

I speak in short sentences don't I?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
This will never make it to court, any judge would toss it out as soon as it came in.

Deadman Walkin

Jul 17, 2008
Datalord said:
WOW, $60, lets go pay thousands to hire lawyers and pay for a lawsuit to get back $60.
Hurray! Those $60 will help me buy a new car! (Of course, if I didn't hire lawyers to win this case.)

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
I'm going to sue Microsoft because they don't let me downgrade to Windows '98 for free. Really, why doesn't she just buy a PC with XP preinstalled, there are still plenty of them.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
It's not entirely un-reasonable on Microsoft's part however, XP -is- a separate product...however unlike an item of clothing, you can't just simply bring it back and exchange it if you don't like it, especially like in this case where it's already pre-installed along with the laptop.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Gxas said:
I have had no problems with Vista. A lot of the problems are perpetuated by the Mac ads. She should get over it. Besides, windows 7 beta is out.

I speak in short sentences don't I?
Agreed.
The biggest problem I had, of the extremely few (Read: one), was playing OLD games. But that was it. Where are all these problems?

I used to work at a Staples, and people would complain that Vista wasn't compatible with their old printer or scanner...and they'd blame Microsoft. I would tell them, of course, that it's the manufacturer's fault! THEY supply the drivers, not Microsoft.
If the company who made your 8 year old printer or scanner didn't make Vista drivers, take it up with them!

You know what the biggest problem with Vista is? People are retarded.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
why even fucking bother, shes gonna lose >.>

Unless there is a gun-ho lawyer that isn't being bought off by mircosoft and hates them with a passion or something. "THEY MURDERED MY WIFE!"

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Baby Tea said:
Have a cookie. You deserve it. That is the best quote I've seen dealing with Vista in a long time. Can I use it in the future?

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I see a piont though, they shouldnt charge to downgrade.
But talk about overreacting,why didnt she give Vista a try before assuming everything shes heard about it must be true?
People are retarded.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Gxas said:
Baby Tea said:
Have a cookie. You deserve it. That is the best quote I've seen dealing with Vista in a long time. Can I use it in the future?
Hah, feel free!

Archereus

Aug 18, 2008
She wont win the lawsuit i know that much but why even bother? Vista is better than XP and trust me i was really bias when i first tried Vista but to me Vista doesn't stop to amaze me. Its much more organized and better set up, either way i love Vista even though i hated it before. Honestly it's he own fault if she is getting problems with her Vista since a lot of people now and days say they been going 100% well with Vista and haven't incurred problems. If she wants to down grade she should pay the price. Any how if she thinks XP is so much better than Vista wouldn't it be considered an upgrade any how?

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Well its the womans choice but shes gonna lose, and vista is awesome i used to hate it but now it has some haunting hold on me......buy it

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
fullmetalangel said:
You know, I bet 90% of people who hate Vista have never actually used it.

I'm tending along the lines of "Well, I'll see it when I get it."
I have used it and I hate it ever time I have to use my school's computer.

archwiccan said:
She wont win the lawsuit i know that much but why even bother? Vista is better than XP and trust me i was really bias when i first tried Vista but to me Vista doesn't stop to amaze me. Its much more organized and better set up, either way i love Vista even though i hated it before. Honestly it's he own fault if she is getting problems with her Vista since a lot of people now and days say they been going 100% well with Vista and haven't incurred problems. If she wants to down grade she should pay the price. Any how if she thinks XP is so much better than Vista wouldn't it be considered an upgrade any how?
Unless you can get a super PC or don't care about gaming at all, Vista is worse.

Ollie596 said:
Well its the womans choice but shes gonna lose, and vista is awesome i used to hate it but now it has some haunting hold on me......buy it
Okay, one thing is to post blasphemy. Other thing is advising someone to buy a piece of garbage, when a superior version is coming out in a year.

Archereus

Aug 18, 2008
Abedeus said:
fullmetalangel said:
You know, I bet 90% of people who hate Vista have never actually used it.

I'm tending along the lines of "Well, I'll see it when I get it."
I have used it and I hate it ever time I have to use my school's computer.

archwiccan said:
Unless you can get a super PC or don't care about gaming at all, Vista is worse.

Ollie596 said:
Okay, one thing is to post blasphemy. Other thing is advising someone to buy a piece of garbage, when a superior version is coming out in a year.
hey i use my vista for gaming all the time and i love it. I haven't had a single hassle. IT was the same problem with XP just a small problem finding the compatibilities and ever since the first try and figuring out i never had trouble since. At least vista the only thing you need to do is run it as administrator and your flying