Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Shows Off Siege Gameplay in New E3 Trailers

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Shows Off Siege Gameplay in New E3 Trailers

These new trailers show off just how you can besiege your enemies in Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord.

Mount & Blade is one of those games that you never seem to hear much about until you look around and all your friends are playing it. The medieval action-RPG has a dedicated fan base, and it has done well on PC since its release in 2008.

Last year at Gamescom, Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord was shown off, much to the delight of fans of the original. At E3 this week, the team from Taleworlds showed off one of the game's new features: siege gameplay.

Bannerlord will let you take part in authentic medieval sieges, and will let you employ all the siege weaponry you'd expect, including ballistae, catapults, siege towers, battering rams and more. The castles you're attacking will use every means at their disposal to beat you back, and you'll need to not only bring an army, but maintain it. Destructible environments let you wear down the fortresses of your enemies, and you can even use fire as a weapon.

There are a pair of trailers to check out. The first one (embedded above) is a siege trailer, and the second one (embedded below) is the gameplay demo the company is showing off at E3 this week.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord is expected to launch later this year.

[gallery=6293]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Player had godmode on. His health auto-refilled whenever it dropped below 30% or so.

Also, L2archery noob.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
Woahwoahwoah, do you have a source that it's coming out later this year? Because I've been following the development for a while and that's huge news. If it is, I'm so happy right now

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Zhukov said:
Player had godmode on. His health auto-refilled whenever it dropped below 30% or so.
And the alternative is that we watch this noob quick load about a zillon times. I think it's fine the way it is, this isn't a Let's play.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
sid said:
Woahwoahwoah, do you have a source that it's coming out later this year? Because I've been following the development for a while and that's huge news. If it is, I'm so happy right now
Wikipedia (link [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_%26_Blade_II:_Bannerlord]) has a 2016 release date listed and sources PC Gamer's print issue. I've read elsewhere that it might be a beta or Early Access release this year, with a full release later. We shall see.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Zhukov said:

Also, L2archery noob.
Haha, ya you could tell that he wasn't that great at the game. He should've gone with a shield set up so that the crowd wouldn't see all of his directional blocking mistakes. It's like the guy wanted to show off the depth of the combat but wasn't actually skilled enough to properly do so.

OT: Sieges were one of the more lackluster and exploitable elements of the first games, so I'm really glad that they've spent so much time on these. Being able to have your troops set up in your chosen way before the battle starts also makes a lot more sense than having to micromanage everything while being pelted by arrows. Being able to command while fighting makes sense for adapting to enemy tactics, but it doesn't for actually setting up formations. I hope that they take a similar approach for the open field battles too. Also, really happy to hear that we'll be able to combine mods. Though, I think you'd run into a lot of issues if you attempted to take smaller mods and add them into overhaul mods.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
You mean I won't be able to stand in the way of the sieging army only ramp and just keep my shield up while my archer kill all the enemy? Boooooooooo

In all seriousness I'm stocked for this, M&B always felt half finish with tons of very weak or absent feature (why can't I decide which troop I take into battle?) but so many great concept.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Meiam said:
You mean I won't be able to stand in the way of the sieging army only ramp and just keep my shield up while my archer kill all the enemy? Boooooooooo

In all seriousness I'm stocked for this, M&B always felt half finish with tons of very weak or absent feature (why can't I decide which troop I take into battle?) but so many great concept.
You can actually decide who you bring. It's determined by the order of troops in your party menu. Higher people come before lower people. This has the problem of being rather finicky to actually order because of the poor controls for it, but it does work.

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
Well...calling the fourth game in the series II makes as much sense as calling your third console One.
That is to say...none at all.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
RikuoAmero said:
Well...calling the fourth game in the series II makes as much sense as calling your third console One.
That is to say...none at all.
Not really. Warband was more an expansion of the base game. It's set in the same period, uses the same system, and uses mostly the same assets. It's the same game, but with a lot more features. With Fire and Sword is also using the same systems, but simply introduces fire arms and a different setting. Really, none of these, including Bannerlord are actually direct sequels from a story perspective. Story is not what these games are about, the only reason to put a number in front of any of their games would be to show that they've significantly improved the engine, thus allowing for them to add a lot more features that weren't originally possible. I would expect several different settings of Mount and Blade 2 before they move on to 3.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Ftaghn To You Too said:
Meiam said:

You can actually decide who you bring. It's determined by the order of troops in your party menu. Higher people come before lower people. This has the problem of being rather finicky to actually order because of the poor controls for it, but it does work.
Yeah that's what I meant by half finished feature, its was a diamond in the rough, very very rough but had enough potential to be fun regardless.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
i liked how they were still using some of the old sound assets. i wonder if its just a place holder thingy or they kept them as a nod to the old game

Jute88

Sep 17, 2015
I'm so excited about this. I've spent too much of my time in Mount&Blade Warband and its Diplomacy mod, and Bannerlord seems just what I need. Too bad the developer's don't bother to give any updates except every 2-3 months.