Resident Evil 7 Preview - Wear Your Brown Pants

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Resident Evil 7 Preview - Wear Your Brown Pants

Capcom is promising a return to the franchise's survival horror roots with Resident Evil 7, and after playing the demo I can't help but to feel cautiously optimistic.

Read Full Article

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It's definitely a change in tone, from what I've seen; it feels like a mix of Outlast, the PT demo and Condemned: Criminal Origins. There's a premium put on atmosphere, but even the best effort in that department can only carry a game so far, so here's hoping they manage to mix in some fitting confrontations as well.

But yeah, that house is creepy as all fuck.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Well, if they add ghosts, they might as well make it not Resident Evil, or rather Biohazard since it was always scifi zombies.

If you want to make it survival horror in the RE universe, just don't play as anyone with a gun. Chris, Jill and Leon have no reason to be afraid of this stuff. Hell, make it like a darker Dead Rising, where you are some regular person hoping those guys will come in time to save your ass.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
First 20 minutes: Holy S***! This is incredibly tense. What is happening? What's that noise? ohgodohgodohgodohgod

Everything after that: Where the f*** do I put the finger!?

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
CaptainMarvelous said:
First 20 minutes: Holy S***! This is incredibly tense. What is happening? What's that noise? ohgodohgodohgodohgod

Everything after that: Where the f*** do I put the finger!?
XD My mind is too dirty for this conversation.

On topic: I'm to chicken to play/ watch it. I'm just trying to figure out how this blends in with the rest of the story line since its after 6. It seems too late to go back to some rural mansion. Maybe its some group of reporters trying to find a lead on a researcher who works on B.O.Ws?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Johnny Novgorod said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Condemned: Criminal Origins.
Especially with that cheap mannequin-just-moved scene. Can't say I'm as hyped for this as I was for PT.
I actually saw that bit coming, but I was still surprised just from virtue of this being an RE game. Nothing supernatural (or at least blatantly/explicitly so) has ever been in the games to my knowledge; superhuman abilities and other strangeness have always been handwaved as properties of some strain of bio-weapon virus.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Rogue Wolf said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Condemned: Criminal Origins.
Especially with that cheap mannequin-just-moved scene. Can't say I'm as hyped for this as I was for PT.
I actually saw that bit coming, but I was still surprised just from virtue of this being an RE game. Nothing supernatural (or at least blatantly/explicitly so) has ever been in the games to my knowledge; superhuman abilities and other strangeness have always been handwaved as properties of some strain of bio-weapon virus.
They could easily end up handwaving the whole game as a "it was all a dream/hallucination/mental fugue", ala Evil Within.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I watched Jim and Markimoo play it and...and I don't get it. Like its atmospheric, sure. But so is a cloudy sky. All the horror felt very cheap and easy. Like low-bar, entry level horror. Oh a dead bird. Oh a spooky shadow of a girl that just wants to photobomb you. Oh mannequins moving. Gee, that's not the sort of thing mannequins usually do.

Its just a less interesting version of Outlast, and I find it very lazy and derivative.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I enjoyed what little of the demo there was, a hundred times more than any of the last horde of full Resident Evil games. Pleasantly surprised now, so Capcom have my attention back currently. Time will give away more info.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
It's not scary. And it's not Resident Evil.

Say what you want, this is not taking the series back to it's roots. Sure, it is more survival horror based then the last two, but that doesn't mean it's closer to it's roots yet.

It's too early to say, but I don't really like it. I've never liked first person horror games as I've yet to find any of them... that good. Except for P.T.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I like the worn down creepy old house setting. I'm pretty tired of generic Umbrella facilities. Is anybody else reminded of Lisa Trevor?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hey guys and gals and tasty pals, did you know you can get an axe as a weapon and different endings in the demo? I only just found this video, sorry, it's a let's play by somebody, but they sound fairly laid back at least;