Turtle Rock Studios Working on a New, Unannounced IP

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Turtle Rock Studios Working on a New, Unannounced IP

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1330/1330865.jpgTurtle Rock Studios, the developer behind Left 4 Dead and Evolve, is working on a new, unannounced IP.

If you've been chomping at the bit for a sequel to Evolve, you might be disappointed. According to a number of job listings on the Turtle Rock Studios website [https://www.turtlerockstudios.com/careers/], the Left 4 Dead developer is hiring people to work on a brand new IP.

Turtle Rock has had an interesting history, beginning with its founding in 2002, its eventual work for Valve on Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Counter-Strike: Source, and Half-Life 2: Deathmatch. The team then began work on what would become Left 4 Dead, and in 2008, the studio was acquired by Valve.

After the studio was shut down by Valve following the L4D launch, it was re-founded independently in 2010. It eventually launched Evolve in 2015 to mixed reviews. Many found the game enjoyable, but thought it was lacking in content and had a poorly thought-out DLC plan.

With the news that Turtle Rock is making something new, it raises the question: what will it be? Will it be another multiplayer-focused title like the studio has made in the past, or will it be something completely different? Think you know, or have an idea what they should make? Tell us what it is in the forums!

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
This is one of those companies I just cant get hyped about until I see something meaningful... Evolve hurt me...

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I kinda get the impression that the good part of their work was always done by Valve. As soon as they made a game without Valve codeveloping, it turned out mediocre.

P.S. Thanks

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
I'm a fan of Evolve and even I wouldn't care for a sequel in the near future. Lets see what else they got.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Valve didn't develop Left 4 Dead!? That's more news to me than this is.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Well... they had a pretty good history until Evolve. I'll stay cautiously optimistic. L4D was such a big title for me.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
So, lemme get this straight. They came out and said "Guys, we're working on something, but we can't tell you anything about it for your readers.".

WTF?! Why would they do that?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I think there's a vast world of asynchronous multiplayer out there that they could do interesting things in. I wish them luck.

...But I hope they learned a thing or two about assuming the player base will just fall in line with a ludicrous business plan along the way. It's a hell of a lot better to go with the "be generous and a loyal player base will show their gratitude" approach than a "be transparently stingy and assume the inherent awesomeness of your product will inspire loyalty anyway" game plan, especially if you're a relatively new fish and don't have a big-name IP or the marketing clout of an Activision or an EA behind you.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Saelune said:
Valve didn't develop Left 4 Dead!? That's more news to me than this is.
They did. then those guys split and opened their own studio and proceeded to create totally forgettable Evolve. Their biggest achievement is shitstorm about canning their PR manager for saying we should get proof before claiming someone is a murderer.