You Can Play as a Girl in The Fractured But Whole

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
You Can Play as a Girl in The Fractured But Whole

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1331/1331077.jpg
Naturally, the South Park boys will treat you differently if you play as a girl.

In South Park: The Stick of Truth, you played as the "new kid," a boy who has just moved into the town of South Park. While there were quite a few customization options, gender was not one of them. Creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker explain that this was due to a side quest in the game, where you are tasked with infiltrating the "girl" faction. In The Fractured But Whole [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/south%20park%20the%20fractured%20but%20whole?os=south+park+the+fractured+but+whole], the player character will be able to be a girl, although this will have some consequences on the way the other characters treat you.

In Stick of Truth we got halfway through the game, and we had narratively come up with the big Girls' Quest halfway through it. [The Girls] were a faction in the fantasy world. And then someone's like, "What if you want to be a girl?" Narratively, it didn't work. We'd have to sh- can the whole game. So we just left it the way it was. This time, we obviously wanted to add that.

But the boys are little boys, because it's really a story about little boys running around. So they don't care about [your character being a girl]? That seems weird. They always seemed to care about it in the show. Are they dumb about it, and they don't know? So you're in hiding? Or do they totally care about that, and totally treat you differently? So we ended up doing those things differently for different characters.

It actually turned out to be quite a bit more work. I'm also playing The Division - I'm not just saying that because it's Ubisoft. I made the character look like my wife, just because I thought that was funny, running around New York shooting people looking like my wife. But the game doesn't treat you that differently. The guys still shoot you. The game doesn't really react that much differently. That's cool for that kind of game. It's been a funny journey to go through, introducing something that we thought would just be a cool feature. You're a girl! But now they're going to treat you different.

South Park The Fracture But Whole will be released for the PC, PS4 and Xbox One on December 5, 2016.

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/15/south-park-video-games-trey-parker-matt-stone]

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
This sounds cool.

Would give incentive for more playthroughs assuming I read it right about characters reacting differently depending on if you hide your gender or not..Which just probably means characters have 2 reactions, one to a default male/hidden female new kid, the second for an openly female new kid. Ah well still good for 2 playthroughs at least.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
That's great. I'm all for it.

But I really hope someone doesn't go apoplectic about the way the inevitably rude humor treats a girl character. If they go through the trouble to record lengthy dialogue trees only to have a detrimental PR bomb and one more demonstration of "we can't have nice things", no one wins.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Callate said:
That's great. I'm all for it.

But I really hope someone doesn't go apoplectic about the way the inevitably rude humor treats a girl character. If they go through the trouble to record lengthy dialogue trees only to have a detrimental PR bomb and one more demonstration of "we can't have nice things", no one wins.
These are the guys who make South Park. They'll have it covered.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Hm, is it actually making the player character a girl? Or just going all princess-Kenny?

Because earlier stuff presented the player character as being the same one from Stick of Truth, you're still Douchebag. So I'm curious if they've changed that, or if, as said, you just go all princess-Kenny and dress up and play as a superheroine.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
I feel kind of stupid for only now realizing that the "but" in the title is actually "butt", and I've been missing a crude joke all this time.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
FirstNameLastName said:
I feel kind of stupid for only now realizing that the "but" in the title is actually "butt", and I've been missing a crude joke all this time.
That's all right, bud. Some things fall through the cracks every now and then. >.>

OT: Being the creators of South Park, I wonder how they'll go about this. Naturally, I believe they'll do great in what they plan to do, but I always like that some people can see these views without being part of, or having influences towards or influenced by, some sort of group. Makes me genuinely curious.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Wrex Brogan said:
...but can you play as an old lady?

#crossthreadhumour
[sub]#don'tkickmyassforusinghashtags[/sub]
Now I want to be able to play as some clearly creepy old guy hanging out with a bunch of kids, I think it has comedy potential

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Bobular said:
Wrex Brogan said:

#crossthreadhumour
Now I want to be able to play as some clearly creepy old guy hanging out with a bunch of kids, I think it has comedy potential
So essentially you want to be Stan Marsh?

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
busterkeatonrules said:
These are the guys who make South Park. They'll have it covered.
Literally covered, like the censored scenes in the last game.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Yeah no interest in this game, Stick Of Truth was a fine game but it's combat was pretty bland and the game was a total one playthrough drop it and forget it forever kind of game, literally I can barely remember any major part of the game.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Areloch said:
Hm, is it actually making the player character a girl? Or just going all princess-Kenny?

Because earlier stuff presented the player character as being the same one from Stick of Truth, you're still Douchebag. So I'm curious if they've changed that, or if, as said, you just go all princess-Kenny and dress up and play as a superheroine.
Came in here to basically post this and hope they have four possible ways to go about this. Hidden female, Open female, New New kid female, and crossdress/trans female. Make that five for both options actually. Bonus points if they actually treat you as they did Kenny.
Wrex Brogan said:
Make that six.
#crossthreadhumour
I'll see you in the basement.
Bobular said:
Make that seven.
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
So essentially you want to be Stan Marsh?
NG+ AS STAN MARSH CONFIRMED

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
So if I play as a girl, does this mean PC principal will refuse to fight me?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
FirstNameLastName said:
I thought it was titled "The Fractured Butthole" myself until I saw the actual title on the E3 trailer. I dunno which one of us has it worse

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Areloch said:

Came in here to basically post this and hope they have four possible ways to go about this. Hidden female, Open female, New New kid female, and crossdress/trans female. Make that five for both options actually. Bonus points if they actually treat you as they did Kenny.
I'd be pretty keen on the princess Kenny angle, where you're still Douchebag, but decide to be a superheroine. I think that'd be able to create a bunch of really funny situations, especially with potential callbacks to the first game, where the girls can remember you having crossdressed before.

Oct 22, 2011
DudeistBelieve said:
I mean, from a visual perspective it really doesn't matter.

Were talking gender pronouns here.
Yes, and even then most NPCs will predominantly refer to you as (Captain?)Douchebag. Still, it's good they made it an option.
I do wonder though if that means different intro for each gender, based on how in trailer you were referred to as the same guy from previous game.

RaikuFA said:
Is it sexist to hit you? Is it more sexist to not hit you? I mean, the line gets real... blurry! ~Dpool
Take that as you will.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
MrCalavera said:
DudeistBelieve said:
I mean, from a visual perspective it really doesn't matter.

Were talking gender pronouns here.
Yes, and even then most NPCs will predominantly refer to you as (Captain?)Douchebag. Still, it's good they made it an option.
I do wonder though if that means different intro for each gender, based on how in trailer you were referred to as the same guy from previous game.

RaikuFA said:
Is it sexist to hit you? Is it more sexist to not hit you? I mean, the line gets real... blurry! ~Dpool
Take that as you will.
I take it as I need to watch that movie for the 8th time.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Elvis Starburst said:
FirstNameLastName said:
I thought it was titled "The Fractured Butthole" myself until I saw the actual title on the E3 trailer. I dunno which one of us has it worse
Oh god, what the fuck? The title of this thread, and in the article itself, is now "but" rather than "butt". And now that I google it, it seems I was right from the beginning. Where did I get the "butt" from, then?

This is some serious gaslighting going on here. Time to get my tinfoil hat.