The Fallout 4 Contraptions Workshop DLC Launches Today

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Fallout 4 Contraptions Workshop DLC Launches Today

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1331/1331235.jpgThe newest Fallout 4 DLC lets you build all sorts of gadgets in your settlements, and it's live today.

There are three DLC releases left for Fallout 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167691-Fallout-4-Upcoming-DLC-Detailed], and the next one up is the Contraptions Workshop, which launches today.

It will add a variety of constructable items to the world, including conveyer belts, scaffolding kits, track kits, and logic gates. You can use these to build all sorts of machines in your settlements. Also included in this DLC are elevators, greenhouse kits, warehouse kits, fireworks, armor racks, and more.

Personally, I want to see one of you build some sort of complex Rube Goldberg machine that serves no useful purpose but is still entertaining. If you do, make sure you come back here and share.

The Fallout 4 Contraptions Workshop is available now for $4.99 for those who don't own the Season Pass.

[gallery=6304]

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
those ball racks are completely pointless and i like this dlc and think its worth it if you love settlement building

manufacturing things is the huge drawcard for this dlc

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I am so happy I ended up not getting the season pass:
-a whole bunch of settlement stuff
-a painfully short "expansion"
-and another expansion that seems to be filled with the same enemies we've been fighting in the base game.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
So it's pretty much Hearthfire?

I bet the PS4 version will be broken beyond belief.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
RedDeadFred said:
-and another expansion that seems to be filled with the same enemies we've been fighting in the base game.
well the far harbour dlc is great story content and a really large land mass to explore, and there are some raider types and some ghouls but other than that brand new creatures.. hermit crabs still freak me the hell out..

RaikuFA said:
So it's pretty much Hearthfire?

I bet the PS4 version will be broken beyond belief.
well the building is up to your imagination and not in set places like hearthfire, but yeah this gives more options for building, its what that wasteland workshop dlc should of been.

cant speak for the ps4 version however.

im curious about the next one build.. your own vault

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
pookie101 said:
RedDeadFred said:
well the far harbour dlc is great story content and a really large land mass to explore, and there are some raider types and some ghouls but other than that brand new creatures.. hermit crabs still freak me the hell out..
I liked what was there of Far Harbor, it just felt very short. The quest line really just boils down to
meet the three factions and then decide which ones should live or die.
I loved the atmosphere and new enemies, but I feel like Point Lookout did this expansion already and in a much more interesting way, and more content filled way. The thing is 35 dollars Canadian which is simply ludicrous for the amount of stuff there actually is to do. It's big, but few of the side quests are all that substantial. The only really notable one I can think of is the one in the vault. When I compare this to Blood and Wine (which is significantly cheaper), the offerings here are borderline pathetic IMO.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Have not bought any DLC for Fallout 4, all of it seems way too overpriced for some content that feels like it should've been in the base game.

"Do you like the worst part of Fallout 4, well here's more of it."
-Lyle McDouchebag

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
Wait, did they really confirm during the E3 announcement that Nuka World or whatever was going to be the last DLC? That's pretty hot garbage if so, only putting out two major DLC instead of the usual Fallout five.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Shadefyre said:
Wait, did they really confirm during the E3 announcement that Nuka World or whatever was going to be the last DLC? That's pretty hot garbage if so, only putting out two major DLC instead of the usual Fallout five.
That looks the be the case. I've defended this game a lot, but no more! Only 2 real expansions and a bunch of workshop b.s.? So lame.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
SirSullymore said:
Shadefyre said:
That looks the be the case. I've defended this game a lot, but no more! Only 2 real expansions and a bunch of workshop b.s.? So lame.
i dont blame you i was expecting alot more story content from the dlc and a third round of dlc.

cant really complain im clocking at 1209 hours so far

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
RedDeadFred said:
pookie101 said:
RedDeadFred said:
I liked what was there of Far Harbor, it just felt very short. The quest line really just boils down to
I loved the atmosphere and new enemies, but I feel like Point Lookout did this expansion already and in a much more interesting way, and more content filled way. The thing is 35 dollars Canadian which is simply ludicrous for the amount of stuff there actually is to do. It's big, but few of the side quests are all that substantial. The only really notable one I can think of is the one in the vault. When I compare this to Blood and Wine (which is significantly cheaper), the offerings here are borderline pathetic IMO.
Personally the most disappointing thing about this is, is that you have other dlc's just doing it so much better.
I mean for the price of Far Harbor alone you can buy the entire expansion pass for the Witcher 3. And that dlc not only has better story missions in them than Fallout ever had, it even has much more of them and a new giant open-world map on top of that.

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
Amaror said:
RedDeadFred said:
pookie101 said:
RedDeadFred said:
Personally the most disappointing thing about this is, is that you have other dlc's just doing it so much better.
I mean for the price of Far Harbor alone you can buy the entire expansion pass for the Witcher 3. And that dlc not only has better story missions in them than Fallout ever had, it even has much more of them and a new giant open-world map on top of that.
The value proposition comparisons are becoming quite convoluted.

In USD: Blood & Wine was $20, Far Harbor was $25
Witcher expansion pass was $25 for $30 of content, FO4 season pass was $25 increased to $50 for at least $70 of content.
(Content value determined by individual retail price)

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
If you're considering shelling out $25 for Far Harbor, it probably makes more sense to just buy the season pass on a discount website (g2a and gamingdragons are generally pretty good for this) for around $25-$35. Then you get Far Harbor in addition to five other DLC for Fallout 4. I can personally attest that robot customization in The Automatron is awesome, though I haven't gotten to Far Harbor yet.

[As an aside: The Witcher series always weirded me out. Geralt in particular. A 40-50-ish-looking guy with grey hair running around slaying all manner of monsters and banging all the ladies in the world? Sounds like a middle-aged author desparately trying to proclaim that he can still be relevant through the most convoluted of fanfic author insertion characters. Icky.]

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
llubtoille said:
The value proposition comparisons are becoming quite convoluted.

In USD: Blood & Wine was $20, Far Harbor was $25
Witcher expansion pass was $25 for $30 of content, FO4 season pass was $25 increased to $50 for at least $70 of content.
(Content value determined by individual retail price)
Ok then just compare Blood and Wine and Far Harbor. B&W still has more and better content for less money.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
no one an complain about the CD project red's DLC practices with the witcher 3.. pile of free dlc and two huge expansions for a very reasonable price.

it definitely bodes well for the upcoming cyberpunk 2077

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
I honestly wouldn't be complaining about FO4's DLC if the previous Bethesda DLC's hadn't been some of my favorites. Though the New Vegas DLC blew all other Fallout and Elder Scrolls ones out of the water, IMO.

Strayal

Aug 17, 2008
Now, while I do find myself somewhat underwhelmed by the DLC so far - especially when they even brought up one of the best, Shivering Isles - I can't say I haven't got my money's worth. I've greatly enjoyed Far Harbor so far, though I'll admit I'm taking it slow and really taking it in. The atmosphere is neat, almost Dead Money-ish (Which was by far my favorite expac ever), and the characters are pretty interesting. Even Old Longfellow, someone I took along just to nab another perk for the pile, ended up becoming my permanent companion for the expansion. Still, in all things, the individual's mileage may vary.

As for Contraptions... Last night I made a machine that endlessly pelts Marcy Long, permanently ensconced in her brand new pillory, with various bits of refuse that I find on my journeys. There's a brightly lit marquis inviting the other settlers to come and watch, all from the comfort of the hastily thrown together amphitheater I made. Then, when I find I'm feeling particularly saucy, I have a handy little supply of fireworks I can trigger, celebrating every impact against the face of that cantankerous nag.

If the pack had simply given me a pillory for Marcy, that I might confine her constant gripes to the far end of town, it would have been enough.
If the pack had only given me a machine to fire at Marcy - even just once - whilst she was she was trapped in the pillory, it would have been enough.
If the pack had given me just the bright, lit up sign to further advertise my hate, as I indulge in my petty sadism, it would have been enough.

As it is, I think it's pretty neat. *shrug*

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Strayal said:
Now, while I do find myself somewhat underwhelmed by the DLC so far - especially when they even brought up one of the best, Shivering Isles - I can't say I haven't got my money's worth. I've greatly enjoyed Far Harbor so far, though I'll admit I'm taking it slow and really taking it in. The atmosphere is neat, almost Dead Money-ish (Which was by far my favorite expac ever), and the characters are pretty interesting. Even Old Longfellow, someone I took along just to nab another perk for the pile, ended up becoming my permanent companion for the expansion. Still, in all things, the individual's mileage may vary.

As for Contraptions... Last night I made a machine that endlessly pelts Marcy Long, permanently ensconced in her brand new pillory, with various bits of refuse that I find on my journeys. There's a brightly lit marquis inviting the other settlers to come and watch, all from the comfort of the hastily thrown together amphitheater I made. Then, when I find I'm feeling particularly saucy, I have a handy little supply of fireworks I can trigger, celebrating every impact against the face of that cantankerous nag.

If the pack had simply given me a pillory for Marcy, that I might confine her constant gripes to the far end of town, it would have been enough.
If the pack had only given me a machine to fire at Marcy - even just once - whilst she was she was trapped in the pillory, it would have been enough.
If the pack had given me just the bright, lit up sign to further advertise my hate, as I indulge in my petty sadism, it would have been enough.

As it is, I think it's pretty neat. *shrug*
i suspect.. i mean im not really sure but i suspect you might not like marcy haha.

oh hang on i wonder if the trapdoor would work loading marcy into the junk mortar.. will the marcy space program get off the ground

Strayal

Aug 17, 2008
pookie101 said:
i suspect.. i mean im not really sure but i suspect you might not like marcy haha.

oh hang on i wonder if the trapdoor would work loading marcy into the junk mortar.. will the marcy space program get off the ground
Well, I know what I'm going to be testing tonight - and yes, I have some strong feelings about Sanctuary's resident master complainer. Who doesn't? I mean, all she does is pace around with her nose in the air, constantly whining about everything being broken - all the while doing nothing but hammer at the same rusted patch of wall, making zero actual progress. WE'RE NOT IDIOTS, MARCY. WE KNOW YOU'RE NOT ACTUALLY DOING ANYTHING.

Ahem. Anyway... Contraptions, right?

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
So, I bought the season pass on pre-order, and got:

-Customizable robot companions and 2 extra dungeons, one short and boring, the other long and samey.
-More workshop items
-A fairly okay story add-on that still feels a little lackluster, but was going the right direction.
-More workshop items
-More workshop items
-An upcoming "story add-on" that seems completely unrelated to any loose ties of the base game.

Man, I sure hope community mods compensates for this painful lack of awesome DLC. This is a HUGE step down from the 5 good Fallout 3 DLCs and the 4 absolutely amazing New Vegas DLCs.

I don't want to sound like a naggy fanboy who is never satisfied, but I was super excited to get 3-5 sprawling new areas with more lore to explore, and maybe the occasional workshop packs to fill the void. I'm really disheartened that half (or arguably even 2/3rds) of the DLC they planned to make focused on insignificant crafting. I like Fallout games because I love traveling and exploring the worlds they've made, not because I like feeling like an insane engineer.