8 Patriotic Games to Play This Weekend

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
8 Patriotic Games to Play This Weekend

Get your game on this Independence Day by playing games that make you feel the American Spirit.. or something. In any case, it's a day off to get your game on!

Read Full Article

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Replace Homefrount: The Revolution with either Assassin's Creed 3 or Fallout 3 and I think you've got quite a decent list throughout.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I realize this is a tongue-in-cheek article, but I propose a more serious alternative: the Brothers in Arms series. It's the Band of Brothers of video games with its sobering portrayal of World War II (at least by the typical standards of the medium) and narrative focus on the soldiers in your squad.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I think Call of Duty: Black Ops deserves a mention. The ending, when they pull you out of the water? That's America right there, baby!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Helldivers? Come on...it's the greatest satire of bombing democracy into other planets! ;)

Also, the GTA games are really just heavy satire of the US dream, including the beliefs taken in by outsiders. The intended irony is thicker t my mother's tanned leather shrunken head. To consider it patriotic is kinda cute. :p Not being a serious article, it isn't any easier figuring out whether it's even worth mentionn anything at all. Does double irony cancel out or twofold? I am discombobulated :(

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
The fact that homefront:the revolution, that piece of garbage, is on this list is insulting, especially since Metal wolf chaos isnt on the list. Helldivers gets a honorable mention.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Ooh, I wonder how deep in Metal Wolf Chaos is.

snekadid said:
The fact that homefront:the revolution, that piece of garbage, is on this list is insulting, especially since Metal wolf chaos isnt on the list.
Fucking this. Guys, I can understand if you've never heard of it but jesus christ, it's the most American game to ever exist. Slap it on as number 9 if you have to keep the games already here on the list, but it has to be on there!

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
You know, today is Canada Day and yet there's no games for me to play.

Welcome to gaming as a non-U.S. citizen. A situation that has no end in sight.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Squilookle said:
canadamus_prime said:

Yeah... Closest we get is the random solders that pop up in XCom.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Squilookle said:
canadamus_prime said:

If you are from Eastern Europe or the Middle east, you can at least be a bad guy with a ridicilous accent.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
My memorial walls are filled with soldiers from all nations, except Australia (my homeland).

OT; The GTA games always seem to have the running joke of a war between Australia and America. That would be an awesomely patriotic game for both our countries.

Street Halo

Jun 7, 2016
008Zulu said:
OT; The GTA games always seem to have the running joke of a war between Australia and America. That would be an awesomely patriotic game for both our countries.
The Yanks wouldn't stand a chance, we're ruthless with our boomerangs and kangaroos wired with explosives!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Street Halo said:
008Zulu said:
The Yanks wouldn't stand a chance, we're ruthless with our boomerangs and kangaroos wired with explosives!
I think the Yanks want to forget the Australian-American War ever occurred. I heard that when US soldiers returned home everyone was watching TV.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Personally, I would add Captain America: Super Soldier to this list. It plays like a mix of Arkham Asylum and Castle Wolfenstein!