Chris Evans Has Already Quit Top Gear

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Chris Evans Has Already Quit Top Gear

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1334/1334066.jpg
Evans, brought on after the departure of Jeremy Clarkson, James May, and Richard Hammond, has quit Top Gear after just one season.

announced his departure from the show [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/top%20gear?os=top+gear] after a mere six-episode season.

LeBlanc will continue to host the show alongside Eddie Jordan, motoring journalist Chris Harris, German motor racing driver Sabine Schmitz, and motoring journalist and Sky television presenter Rory Reid, as the BBC has no plans to replace Evans.

The final episode of the latest series was watched live by 1.9 million TV users in the UK - a series low for ratings.

It certainly looks like the once legendary show is sinking fast. Most would argue that Clarkson, May and Hammond were Top Gear, so you can hardly blame fans for abandoning it en mass.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/achrisevans?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I'm thinking that Not-Captain-America should have a middle initial in his name, would cut down on the confusion.

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
Actual reason: Chris Evans is under investigation for sexual assault in the 1990s [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/04/chris-evans-to-leave-top-gear-after-police-launch-sexual-assault/].

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Nobody watched Top Gear for the format... It wasn't the world's most successful show because of car tests...

Jeremy Clarkson, James May, and Richard Hammond are the sole reason for it's success, they made the show what it is, the show was barely about cars at all in the last 3 or 4 seasons, it was just 3 hilarious characters doing their usual antics which sometimes involved cars.

I have no idea why the BBC thought they could carry on as if nothing as happened, almost the entire fanbase is eagerly awaiting the new show from the trio on Amazon.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
And Top Gear fans 'round the world sung praises and held great feasts in celebration. Maybe now they can rearrange the format for the second season to what fans have been asking for.
Janichsan said:
Actual reason: Chris Evans is under investigation for sexual assault in the 1990s [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/04/chris-evans-to-leave-top-gear-after-police-launch-sexual-assault/].
After all of the other accusations and bad press, that's probably the straw that broke the camel's back. I just read the Jalopnik article. [http://jalopnik.com/chris-evans-stepped-down-from-top-gear-after-police-con-1783079430][footnote]And yes, I know Jalopnik, mostly the readership, is not a (non-Captain America) Chris Evans fan.[/footnote] Supposedly, he admitted in a 2005 Sunday Times interview that he exposed himself to coworkers repeatedly. (I found the Sunday Times article, but I need a subscription for the full article. From what I can read, it isn't pretty.)
At the time, Evans told the newspaper: "If you get your willy out, it's the funniest thing in the world. Everybody laughs, everyone of our generation. I wouldn't do it in front of my mum, for example. Girls love it; boys -'Oh, I can?t believe you did that'. It also takes the night to a new level. I actually haven't done it for a while. But I will do it again."
Even if the sexual assault allegations aren't proven but it is true Evans said that, he proves he has the massive ego everyone claims he had during the filming of Top Gear. It would have to be huge for him to foolishly admit such a thing in public.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Hopefully the rest of the cast and who ever they replace Evans with will be able to get on better now without his ego in the way and we may get to see the sort of fun presenter interaction that made the Clarkson, Hammond, May era so great.

Hairless Mammoth said:
And yes, I know Jalopnik, mostly the readership, is not a (non-Captain America) Chris Evans fan.
The concept of there being Chris Evans fans confuses and enrages me.

ZCAB

Jan 15, 2013
Country
Netherlands
008Zulu said:
I'm thinking that Not-Captain-America should have a middle initial in his name, would cut down on the confusion.
Changing what he's been known as professionally for about thirty years, just because someone with the same name has become more popular than him in the last five (don't tell me US Evans was famous before Captain America)? Doesn't sound fair to me in the slightest. Not that it matters anymore now he's left Top Gear, probably the only internationally relevant thing he'll ever do.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
I'm sorry but the original trio is what made the programme. I'm sure that more people watched it for the chemistry of three friends arsing about than for the cars. The brand is far more connected to them than to the name 'Top Gear'. I think the saddest thing about this is poor Sabine being dragged into it. She was great when she appeared on the older episodes she was in, and I think it's a shame she ended up a part of new Top Gear instead of The Grand Tour.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Good. He was the worst thing about this new series.

Dude seems to lack any sort of natural charisma for television.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well thats something to look forward to next season then. I actually like Matt as a presenter, and hopefully Sabrine gets more screentime next season.

RaikuFA said:
Why is a show about cars on this site?
Escapist isnt a dedicated gaming news site. Never has been.

And article happens to be about the single most popular british TV show ever produced.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Ambitiousmould said:
I'm sorry but the original trio is what made the programme. I'm sure that more people watched it for the chemistry of three friends arsing about than for the cars. The brand is far more connected to them than to the name 'Top Gear'. I think the saddest thing about this is poor Sabine being dragged into it. She was great when she appeared on the older episodes she was in, and I think it's a shame she ended up a part of new Top Gear instead of The Grand Tour.
Fun fact. The original host of Top Gear was actually Angela Rippon.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
This is really starting to shake my confidence in British television, the BBC in particular. It's almost like they have a minimum requirement for dysfunction and inappropriate behavior before they'll higher someone.

As for Mr. Evans... as a non-British person, I was introduced to him with Top Gear. And everything I'd seen and heard has been absolutely terrible. And it's mind breakingly moronic that the BBC hired someone who claimed that showing his penis during meetings was great fun for all involved. You'd have to be socially retarded to not realize that the 'laughter' Evans received during these events was not due to hilarity, but nervousness.

RaikuFA said:
NiPah said:
RaikuFA said:
It's under the TV and Movies tab, that should be pretty self explanatory.
But it's a show about cars.
About 5 minutes after it's creation, the Escapist branched out into 'nerd culture' in a variety of mediums. This includes TV, movies, tabletop games, and pop science/technology.

You are, of course, free to bang your head against that and insist there's something wrong with non-video game content here. It's your right. But please, do so with an even hand, and spread your displeasure to the rest of the content. As of right now, that would be the active Escapist Deals post, the Ghostbuster thread, and the BFG thread.

I look forward to you playing fair and being flabbergastyed by all of them equally.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Good.

Now I'm actually willing to give the new TG a shot from season 2 onwards.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
This is really starting to shake my confidence in British television, the BBC in particular. It's almost like they have a minimum requirement for dysfunction and inappropriate behavior before they'll higher someone.

As for Mr. Evans... as a non-British person, I was introduced to him with Top Gear. And everything I'd seen and heard has been absolutely terrible. And it's mind breakingly moronic that the BBC hired someone who claimed that showing his penis during meetings was great fun for all involved. You'd have to be socially retarded to not realize that the 'laughter' Evans received during these events was not due to hilarity, but nervousness.

RaikuFA said:
NiPah said:
RaikuFA said:
About 5 minutes after it's creation, the Escapist branched out into 'nerd culture' in a variety of mediums. This includes TV, movies, tabletop games, and pop science/technology.

You are, of course, free to bang your head against that and insist there's something wrong with non-video game content here. It's your right. But please, do so with an even hand, and spread your displeasure to the rest of the content. As of right now, that would be the active Escapist Deals post, the Ghostbuster thread, and the BFG thread.

I look forward to you playing fair and being flabbergastyed by all of them equally.
I've never seen cars and nerd stuff going together. Plus I don't see the appeal on a show where people drive around.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Eh, i've been luke-warm to top gear years before "the departure" occurred due to their obvious scripting and ridiculous budget that comes from taxpayer's money. It's not the worst spending compared to others, but it does make me feel a little dirty watching it.
However, hiring Chris Evans was a big old stake in the coffin, that boy has the charisma of rabid ginger jack Russell. As much an annoyance Clarkson is, at least he had a watchable presence with May and Hammond.
As for the BBC, well they, the conservatives and sexual assault seem to all go hand in hand these days. It's only recently started to come into public knowledge, but yet again, taxpayer's money is being spent hiding information from the public and fighting FOI cases with the non-Murdoch owned press. This little piss-happy puppy is just a single protrusion from a very ugly problem.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
RaikuFA said:
AccursedTheory said:

RaikuFA said:
NiPah said:
RaikuFA said:

I've never seen cars and nerd stuff going together. Plus I don't see the appeal on a show where people drive around.
When the original three were in charge, it was more so a comedy show featuring cars, than it was a car show with a bit of comedy. And based on the responses here, a lot of people do follow the show.