The Next Overwatch Hero Might be a Sniping Healer

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Next Overwatch Hero Might be a Sniping Healer

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1334/1334582.jpgIt looks like the first hero added to Overwatch will be a member of the support class armed with a sniper rifle.

Now that Overwatch has patching existing heroes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167826-Overwatch-Competitive-Mode-PC-Launch], and maybe introducing some new ones.

In a tweet [https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/750736158624215040] earlier today, Blizzard may have rolled out the first tease for an upcoming character. The image (included below) shows what purports to be a biotic rifle that will allow the delivery of heals from range. In the image, Torbjorn and Mercy are conversing on the merits of such a device.

There have also been hints that the next character will be named Sombra, which is Spanish for shadow. Reaper has a voice line that asks about Sombra, and a newspaper found on the Route 66 map has the headline, "¿Quién es Sombra?" It's worth pointing out that this is pure speculation, and nothing in Blizzard's tweet pairs a name to the rifle.

That said, it's likely that this rifle will be wielded by a new character. It's just hard to say when that new character might arrive. Hopefully we'll see more info from Blizzard very soon.

[gallery=6325]

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
My guess is that it will be a Hot/Dot type ranged weapon, that basically delivers either healing or destructive nanites in a shot.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
So yeah, this almost confirms the next hero being Pharah's mom. It will be interesting to see exactly how a healer-sniper will work, but having another option for support is nice (as I'm not great at the current options).

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
I kind of hope this will work more on a dart-esque basis. Like, a heal dart that applies a quick heal per hit or a temporary damage boost per hit. Then maybe make their ult a series of darts that home in on the whole team to do a large flat heal. That'd be neat.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Welp, looks like it's time to make some popcorn. It was always gonna be a race between whether TF2 got Matchmaking out first or Overwatch got its first new hero out. And TF2 just started the Matchmaking Update (Official Title: "Meet Your Match") so we'll have to see whether that pulls people away from Blizard's game or not.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm hoping for a kind of mid-range marksman role (with some sort of secondary healing function apparently).

Something like McCree before his damage drop-off nerf, but without his close range capabilities.

As it is we only really have Hanzo for that niche and I can't stand him.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Old news is Old, it's been going around for a while that the first new hero will be a "Support Sniper" named Sombra. Sombra being Pharah's mother, for those that haven't been paying attention to the bits of story.

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
Has there ever been a good ranged healing weapon?

The only thing I really remember was something from Killing Floor, which was a nuisance to heal with. It seems like a stupid frustration, because while you aim for enemies and they see you, they react to what you're doing, but allies move unpredictably and can be really hard to hit, especially consistently.
Crusader's Crossbow? I mean, it didn't just heal, but it's not too shabby a ranged healer.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Sparks is one of my favorites in Dirty Bomb.

If this new character plays anything like her, I'll be having a new favorite in Overwatch.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
OuendanCyrus said:
Does this also confirm that Doomfist will be the next Hero after?
Not necessarily. Sombra is almost certainly the next hero, and is almost certainly Ana Amari (Pharah's mother). Doomfist is a potential candidate for a hero as well, but others include Athena, Liao, and Soundquake.

And if you recognise those names, have a cookie. :)

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Hawki said:
OuendanCyrus said:
Does this also confirm that Doomfist will be the next Hero after?
Not necessarily. Sombra is almost certainly the next hero, and is almost certainly Ana Amari (Pharah's mother). Doomfist is a potential candidate for a hero as well, but others include Athena, Liao, and Soundquake.

And if you recognise those names, have a cookie. :)
Gimme dat cookie! I don't know if I'd want Soundquake, Phara's missiles are giving me enough trouble as is.