Evolve Pulled From Steam, Gets Mysterious Countdown

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Evolve Pulled From Steam, Gets Mysterious Countdown

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/871/871998.jpg
Could Evolve be going free-to-play?

[the game's] biggest, craziest update yet!" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/evolve]

The most popular theory is that the game is going free-to-play, which would certainly explain why it has been pulled from sale. Given that many users complained that the game had a lot of expensive DLC on top of being a full-priced game, it does make a lot of sense.

So, don't count Evolve out just yet! The countdown expires tomorrow at 12PM ET, so we won't have to wait long to find out what this is all about.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-06-evolve-has-been-removed-from-sale-on-steam]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Going free to play, calling it. Considering how much dlc they had, it would make sense.

Sep 14, 2009
I think this is too late to ring in enough people to make it worthwhile, with overwatch, battleborn and tf2's competitive mode releasing, I don't see this roping in many fps style people to it.

Still, at least it's a nice punch in the face to realize their business decisions were horrible.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Yep, probably free to play.

And yep its probably way, way too late for it. Frankly I played it for a free weekend and within those couple of days I was already bored. I MIGHT play it free to play but with the many, many other pieces of entertainment I've got trying to attract my attention in my backlog at the moment, and the far better games that are distracting me for dip-in and dip-out playing, its a very low priority.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
"game has BEE removed!"

No wonder it was such an asshole ;-)

Anyway, I doubt it. That would be too good to be true. The game industry is not a fairy tale.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
That's got to be annoying to people who paid full price. Maybe they should get some bonus DLC at least?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I liked Evolved. Wouldn't play it without friends though.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, it's, er, 'evolving' its business model then?

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Worgen said:
Going free to play, calling it. Considering how much dlc they had, it would make sense.
I'd actually try playing it, then. It'd depend on the P2W elements of any extra monsters, and how long matchmaking is.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Brian Tams said:
Wow, what a big "Fuck you." to the whole tens of people that purchased the game.
I think that happened about two weeks after they bought it already when the game's legs fell off.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Pyrian said:
That's got to be annoying to people who paid full price. Maybe they should get some bonus DLC at least?
If you hold your breath for that kind of fairness, you'd pass out and hit your head on the coffee table first :)

OT; Is a game going f2p really worthy of putting a countdown on the store page? Seems... weak.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Eh, I'd give it a shot if it went F2P. The game format would have to change rather substantially in order to hold my attention, though...my understanding is that every game plays out in one of the following ways:

A: The hunters catch the monster in the first 2 minutes and kill the fuck out of it.
B: The hunters spend 10 minutes following footprints until the level 3 monster shows up and utterly destroys them.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
From my understanding, its a major (I mean a very major) patch that is coming. I highly doubt it is F2P. It just a huge update that is going to change how the game is going to be played from now on.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Well if it goes F2P, my friend who genuinely loved the game will finally get his wish granted of me playing it with him.

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
I have seen hints about a big "Stage 2" update already a couple of days ago in the SteamDB [https://steamdb.info/app/273350/depots/].

The F2P theory is in my opinion corroborated by this exchange between Phil Robb and some other dude on Twitter:
alex valenzuela: @FilRobb @EvolveGame update?? Info I loved that game but dropped it due to player base shrinking still have it

Phil Robb: @_AlexTheCreator @EvolveGame well, we think we have a solution for that!

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Phil Robb said:
biggest, craziest update yet!
If it's going F2P, it's going to make sense from a consumer-friendly perspective. That's so big! And CRRRRRAZY!!!

Maybe I'll try it out. Just recently tryed out Warframe, it's awesome. Thanks to myself moving over 400 kilometres specifically to a flat where I get decent internet.

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
Free-2-Play officially confirmed [https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/a-message-to-our-community/87816].

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...it'd be really funny if they announced a subscription service, so you could get access to EVEN MORE DLC.

To be honest though, if they do go free to play, I'm still not going to play it. That '100 pieces of launch day DLC' shit rubbed me the wrong way, I'm not gonna be nice just because they're bringing out the butter.