No Man's Sky Has Gone Gold

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
No Man's Sky Has Gone Gold

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1335/1335020.jpgThere will be no further delays for No Man's Sky.

no further delays [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/no%20mans%20sky?os=no+mans+sky] of its release date, which is currently set at August 9.

"It's happened," Tweeted [https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/751141699880095745] Hello Games founder Sean Murray. "No Man's Sky just went gold. I'm so incredibly proud of this tiny team. 4 years of emotions." The game had previously been due to arrive last month, but was delayed to polish up some "key moments". Murray later said that he believed delaying the game "was the right decision". Look out for it on PS4 and PC.

Source: Twitter [https://out.reddit.com/t3_4rqkj0?url=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FNoMansSky%2Fstatus%2F751141699880095745&token=AQAAf4R_V65JpFCMcSgB6R0C7fI9LXgMWXDk6EeEx5TAVrUp-pCH]

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
What would suck is if say a giant body of water came and somehow the game was lost and then they had to start over.

OT: This is great news im looking forward to the game next month

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Let us all see how this will turn out.

In no world this will live out to the hype, though it isn't strictly the fault of the developers.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Cool. I'll make sure I finish paying off my preorder over the coming weeks. This is one of the only games I'm actually excited for. Please don't Mighty Number 9 this, guys.

kekkres

Jun 5, 2013
Level 7 Dragon said:

In no world this will live out to the hype, though it isn't strictly the fault of the developers.
yeah the hype on this game was one of the strangest things to watch, people got so whimsoucal about speculating all the things that could be going on in this game, and then felt lied to when things they had come up with themselves arent in the game.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Huh, I've never actually heard the term "going gold" used in reference to video games like that. I associate it with the music industry use of the term, which implies rather something different, apparently.

Anyway, hurrah for them, I guess? I am interested in finally seeing the thing first-hand.

Czann

Jan 22, 2014
I can't wait to be one of the first to play it and name ALL THE PLANETS after me.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Huh, I've never actually heard the term "going gold" used in reference to video games like that. I associate it with the music industry use of the term, which implies rather something different, apparently.

Anyway, hurrah for them, I guess? I am interested in finally seeing the thing first-hand.
Same here. I usually associate Gold with selling good.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
How does one even review a game like this? You can't possibly reach the end in any short space of time, you can't even know how much of the content you have observed from the game. Everyone is going to have a different experience of what they find. We need some sort of triangulation to get a better review process. Or...now this may be too ambitious, but...Chiliagonulation? (Try saying that ten times in a row while drunk. Oh and please be a real word!)

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
shrekfan246 said:

RaikuFA said:
Really? The early i can remember hearing that term was jokes about the release of Daikatana.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
RaikuFA said:
shrekfan246 said:

Well considering how long they've been shovelling coal into the hype machine for this and how this will result in a gazillion pre-orders ... I'm sure your understanding of going gold is applicable as well.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Level 7 Dragon said:

Eh, I'm not expecting it to cure cancer or change my life; I'm just expecting it to be entertaining on a baseline level.

But yeah, there's a fair few folks clamoring for it to be perceived as the most inventive development in the industry since Spore. The thing is, I remember Spore.

It was fun for a few weeks, then it got samey. There's a game in-between the Cell and Civ stages, but the Space Stage is nothing other than gigantic filler.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Czann said:
I can't wait to be one of the first to play it and name ALL THE PLANETS after me.
"Where are we gonna meet?"

"Why not at Planet Czann?"

"Wait, what? I'm in the Czann Cluster B-3-42-7 Where are you?"

"Fuck, I'm on Planet Czann Gold 3 in Czann Cluster C-3-42-7..."

"Jesus Christ, that's like... 800 LY away. Fuck this game. I'm done."

syl3r

Oct 21, 2014
yeah im really curious about that game too.
of what ive seen (not following it closely) it just looks like you fly around and look at different planets/vegetations and mine some stuff.
that by itself sounds nice, but it lacks in gameplay. ive not seen anything else that would make me want to play this game so reviews will be interesting for me

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I'd already heard this news but it's still nice to see. Here's hoping the launch goes smoothly. No Man's Sky is one of only three, maybe four, games I'm looking forward to in 2016.

I can't speak on whether the game may or may not live up to the "hype", or to what degree any of the hype is justified, but from what I have seen of the game it should still be a fun romp.

If nothing else, it'll be a nice aesthetic mix-up from playing DOOM.

shrekfan246 said:

"Gone gold" is a term that's been in use in the video game industry since...ooph, at least the early 90s, I believe, if not the 80s. But, since the contemporary gaming industry has been collectively attempting to 'get closer to the players', many industry terms that were fairly common years ago have given way to more layman terminology.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Xsjadoblayde said:
How does one even review a game like this?
The same way reviewers review sandbox games, open-world games, or multiplayer titles. It comes down to their opinions on aesthetics, mechanics, core game-play, stability, and their overall experience while playing.

I mean, do you think someone can't review a game unless they experience 100% of the game's content? Does someone have to play a game from start to finish, in its entirety, to decide whether they liked or disliked their time with the game?

One of my cousins has never played through every piece of story content in Fallout 3, yet it remains one of his absolute favorite games.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Gatlank said:
Really? The early i can remember hearing that term was jokes about the release of Daikatana.
Well, I was still a child when Daikatana came out, and didn't really start paying any attention to "current" games until about 2010 because I couldn't afford to actually get any until then.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
RaikuFA said:
shrekfan246 said:

Well, it goes back a long way. Though usually it meant that the game had been burned into a master disc that was gold colored and then copied from that source again for distribution.
It has even left its mark on the Half Life 1 engine, commonly known as the GoldSource engine. Just prior to the release of HL1, they renamed the "src" folder to "goldsrc", to indicate the version that was going to "gold", later known as GoldSource. The "src" folder that remained in development at Valve eventually became what we now know as the Source Engine.

OT: I'm kind of excited and meh at the same time. It feels like we stilll haven't seen any proper gameplay of this game, only promises of billions of unique star systems and planets, but that has already been done(elite dangerous) and honestly won't matter if there's nothing to do. Past the first 1000 or so systems, none of the billions or gogool or infinite number of systems will feel like they matter at all since you'll never see them anyway. And what I've seen of planets so far just doesn't seem that diverse. The same kind of biomes we've seen in countless of other games and irl, plus alien wildlife that is remarkably the same across all these billions of star systems.