Pokemon GO Team Pauses International Rollout Due to Server Issues

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Pokemon GO Team Pauses International Rollout Due to Server Issues

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1335/1335200.png

Pokemon GO's server issues will be addressed before the game launches in new countries.

Pokemon GO started rolling out this week, but the popularity of the free to play mobile title has left many players complaining of not only I'm not mad [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167874-Pokemon-GO-is-Apparently-Hell-on-Cell-Phone-Batteries].

Niantic Labs CEO John Hanke told Business Insider [http://www.businessinsider.com/pokemon-go-international-rollout-paused-2016-7] that the company is aware of the server issues, which make it difficult to launch the game or maintain a connection for any extended period of time. According to Hanke, the launch in other countries has been "paused until we're comfortable." The team is working on a solution, with Hanke saying that there was "a great run" of server availability on Thursday evening.

Meanwhile, the official Pokemon GO Twitter account reiterated that the team is working on the server issues, adding that the game will continue rolling out to new countries "soon."

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/PokemonGoApp/status/751514304365473792]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I tried to play this game and spent nearly 20mins trying to get a name that wasn't already taken. When "QAZ303030" wouldn't go through I gave up.

Feb 7, 2016
If only the battle system wasn't the most watered down, pathetic excuse for a Pokemon game I'd be more heartbroken. Instead, the only major aspect is just walking around and having your phone buzz you when a Pokemon is nearby.

Which is cool, don't misunderstand. If you're just a collector type, you'll probably have a blast. But using tap and swipe mechanics just to have the game determine the winner based exclusively on CP is kinda shitty.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Which is cool, don't misunderstand. If you're just a collector type, you'll probably have a blast. But using tap and swipe mechanics just to have the game determine the winner based exclusively on CP is kinda shitty.
I don't have a problem with this as I fully realize that this is just a spin-off, and finally trying to do a different kind of battle is refreshing, although they need to fix the server stability.

Trying to Gym battle with the instability of the servers will result in lag outcomes. If I was lucky, it would take a minute before the win result is announced, it was really bad the game would kick me out of the game, and then gives the Server error screen.

there's no problem on occupying empty gyms and reinforcing a Team Gym.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I played for a few minutes and stopped. Since then I have yet to be able to log in a single time.

This close to stopping caring.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Silentpony said:
I tried to play this game and spent nearly 20mins trying to get a name that wasn't already taken. When "QAZ303030" wouldn't go through I gave up.
That was my major bugbear, the others were ones Niantic can't help such as my country having shitty mobile coverage, fuck all public wifi and cloud cover that would fuck up any reception we hope to get.

If they'd let players login with their Nintendo Club accounts it wouldn't have been an issue.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
DeliveryGodNoah said:
It isn't based purely on CP though, just think of it as a traditional pokemon game but instead of 4 moves you have 2, and it isn't turn based. There are still type weaknesses, regardless of CP there is varied HP/stat levels (My 300 CP Chansey has almost 250hp, my 799 CP Flareon has less than 100hp), you have to choose when to use your second move. I have an 850 CP Victreebel but it easily loses to just about any Golbat with 400 CP because my moves aren't very effective and theirs are super effective.

It's no-where near as in-depth as traditional pokemon games but there is still an element of strategy to it, and you still need some knowledge to be effective.

Lorpo

Jan 26, 2012
I just wish that the bastard red team didn't own all the gyms in my town! Its fun and the best thing is not having to pay to have that fun.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Well, it's Pok?mon Bank all over again... Does anyone remember that? That service that was supposed to start the next month X&Y had released to bridge these games to the previous generations, but its release in Japan caused the servers to crash, leading them to delaying almost 3 months the international release.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
They better get those issues fixed, they may just have found a true honey pot of ARG games. If they manage to get enough hooked, and gradually introduce micro transactions this could be a gold mine!

My GF is out there right now hunting down Pokemon and she is a complete non-gamer, but the nostalgia factor alone is still powerful.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
DeliveryGodNoah said:
If only the battle system wasn't the most watered down, pathetic excuse for a Pokemon game I'd be more heartbroken. Instead, the only major aspect is just walking around and having your phone buzz you when a Pokemon is nearby.

I don't have a problem with this simply because implementing the main game mechanics would of already given new players who probably haven't touched Pokemon since Pokemon Red a vastly huge disadvantage over people like me that have not only kept up with the games but also are in to the meta.

You have A LOT of ultra casuals playing this game and just having a blast catching Pokemon in the real world with their friends and swipe beating gyms. The fun would get sucked out real fast if all the gyms were taken over by people who know that Charizard with Metal Claw wins everything that poses a rock threat against it.

Also Pokemon matches of the traditional kind take time and a bit of brain power and the main draw of the game is to walk around and catch things. Not get into 5-20 minute matches with other trainers. That's what the main games are for.