Just Cause 3 Multiplayer Mod Cancelled as Avalanche Studios Hires Lead Dev

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Just Cause 3 Multiplayer Mod Cancelled as Avalanche Studios Hires Lead Dev

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1335/1335430.jpgOne Just Cause 3 multiplayer mod has been cancelled because its lead developer got hired to work on Just Cause 3.

The creators of the popular Just Cause 2 multiplayer mod were hard at work on a version of the mod for Just Cause 3, but they have announced "the indefinite halt of JC3-MP development." Why? Well, it's for the best of reasons. The lead developer of the mod has been hired by Just Cause creator Avalanche Studios.

In a post on the mod's official site [http://www.jc-mp.com/forums/index.php/topic,5998.0.html?PHPSESSID=l09so2vjmurhsordf01eg360r5], Lead Developer Trix (whose real name is Cameron Foote), made the announcement. "Several months ago, I (Trix) was approached with an offer I couldn't refuse: to join Avalanche Studios Sweden as a developer so that I could work on projects present and future."

Fans of the game will likely be excited at this news, as it may signal that Avalanche is planning to bring multiplayer to Just Cause themselves. Fans of the mod will be less excited, as Foote's departure means that work on the JC 3 version will come to a halt. "Unfortunately, due to time constraints, neither I or the rest of the team can actively pursue development on JC3-MP; our lives are just too busy to allow for it right now," he wrote.

The mod team does plan to continue to maintain the popular JC 2 multiplayer mod, but will not be adding any new features. Instead, the focus will be on fixing bugs and maintaining stability.

The news is disappointing for Just Cause 3 fans, but there is still the multiplayer mod being developed by the nanos team that we told you about last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167872-Just-Cause-3-Multiplayer-Mod-is-in-the-Works] to look forward to.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I never played a Just Cause game before, but I am very glad a person who love the game by creating mods, get recognized by Avalanche Studios. I wish for the best for the other members of the team which created the mods as well.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Just Cause 3 has fans? I do like the game definitely, but wasn't aware it had a fanbase. I guess everything has a fanbase though, so shouldn't be surprised. However, the first DLC expansion gave us a rocket-powered wingsuit with built in machine guns and heat seeking rockets; For the less astute of thought connectors, that, my learned friends is a fucking jetpack!
Oh yeah, there was some floating fortress thing with it too, not really a priority as as I zoom about the place like an adventurous kestral on meth.

Hopefully, any future multiplayer possibility won't be at too much of a cost to the player.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Sorry they hire the muliplayer mod developer with a view to 'planning' to bring multiplayer to a game that originally started out as a multiplayer game but then had a single player campaign tacked on at the last minute and the multiplayer removed because it sucked balls without a single player story to drive player activity.... what?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Well, this is a much better story than hearing a game company is sending cease & desist letters and threatening legal action to a team of fans just trying to make a game better. It kinda sucks for both fans hoping for this mod to be finished and the other modders who haven't gotten the spotlight shined on them when they deserve some attention too, but maybe hiring Trix will turn out to be a really good thing for everyone. (Maybe the mod can be picked up again and finished later on.)

See, overly huge game corporations, if you want to be assholes and shut down a fan project without generating bad publicity, just hire enough of the dev team so the project can't move forward. (I am seriously not saying Avalanche are assholes here, even though many will read it that way. Also, that was mostly a joke about companies that are all too C&D-happy.) Hiring key people working on a fan project just usually puts a wrench in the works of that project, no matter how good of intentions everyone involved has.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Hairless Mammoth said:
Well, this is a much better story than hearing a game company is sending cease & desist letters and threatening legal action to a team of fans just trying to make a game better. It kinda sucks for both fans hoping for this mod to be finished and the other modders who haven't gotten the spotlight shined on them when they deserve some attention too, but maybe hiring Trix will turn out to be a really good thing for everyone. (Maybe the mod can be picked up again and finished later on.)

See, overly huge game corporations, if you want to be assholes and shut down a fan project without generating bad publicity, just hire enough of the dev team so the project can't move forward. (I am seriously not saying Avalanche are assholes here, even though many will read it that way. Also, that was mostly a joke about companies that are all too C&D-happy.) Hiring key people working on a fan project just usually puts a wrench in the works of that project, no matter how good of intentions everyone involved has.
That's all well and good, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't C&D a team for a multiplayer mod when they officially support the Just Cause 2 multiplayer mod on Steam.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I'd like to play the PC version of Just Cause 3, but it's still so incredibly broken i can't. Not sure how critics were able to give the PC version specifically a score (generally higher than the console version which has/had performance issues), the Square log in stuff takes forever on a title screen which already takes forever to load, it's online features cause micro stuttering during gameplay, memory leaks will max out your RAM, cause your hard drives to run riot (yeah, both my hard drives went mental for some reason) and will stick using 8GB of your RAM after the game has closed, there is no FOV slider so you're stuck with console magnified camera, a community made FOV slider was recently broken by a game patch which only added DLC and fixed some very minor issues.
I am basically still waiting for Just Cause 3 to come out.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
cikame said:
I am basically still waiting for Just Cause 3 to come out.
Me too. Except I'm waiting for the inclusion of air strikes a la Mercenaries. Also, more interesting missions and side missions.