Vulkan Support Coming to DOOM, Bringing Super-High Framerates

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Vulkan Support Coming to DOOM, Bringing Super-High Framerates

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1335/1335590.jpgVulkan support is coming to DOOM, and that means PC gamers can push for ridiculously high framerates.

id Software is bring support for the Vulkan API to DOOM, which could mean much faster framerates for PC gamers. Vulkan is the next-generation of the venerable OpenGL API, and it improves on almost every aspect of its forbear. It sports higher performance, better multicore CPU usage, and more.

Back in May, id showed off Doom running at 120 fps on the Vulkan API [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167426-New-DOOM-Videos-Show-Off-Guns-Gameplay], and now that same support is available to everyone playing DOOM on PC. Not only does this mean that newer PCs will be able to get better framerates, but Bethesda says that they expect older PCs to be able to play the game at good framerates now.

You can see all the info about the Vulkan update in Vulkan FAQ [https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/doom-vulkan-support-now-live/2016/07/11/156].

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I can also confirm. I don't have some sort of god-tier rig (I'm running a R9 290 coupled with a FX 6300 Vishera CPU) but I'm hitting 110~130 FPS with everything turned to ultra, even in particle and shader heavy scenes, whereas before I was hovering around 60 or so.

Well done id and Khronos Group.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Meh, my IPS is locked at 60 anyway. But my Bravia is 120, so I'll have to see where I top out on Doom using my TV. Oh what fun

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I only have a 60Hz monitor so it's not like it really impacts me, but anything that further takes away Microsoft's stranglehold on gaming APIs is good in my eyes.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
I only have a 60Hz monitor so it's not like it really impacts me, but anything that further takes away Microsoft's stranglehold on gaming APIs is good in my eyes.
same here. mine is also a 60hrz monitor and my r9 290x runs the game generally very smoothly on high settings. but good on id for doing this.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Oooooh, I should give this a go tonight. I've been pretty happy with the performance on my rig, but, you know, even better would be nice.

EDIT: ok, gave Vulkan as spin. The results really are impressive. I'm getting higher framerates at Ultra settings than I did before on High. Performance is more stable too, with less drops.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008

Although, this does mean that Doom can hand people their ass faster, as well. Beware of that.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
shrekfan246 said:
I only have a 60Hz monitor so it's not like it really impacts me,
Remus said:
Meh, my IPS is locked at 60 anyway. But my Bravia is 120, so I'll have to see where I top out on Doom using my TV. Oh what fun
Metalrocks said:
same here.
Actually, it might. While the extra frames will be superfluous the added performance means you should be able to up your settings by quite a bit.

I mean, before this I was getting roughly 60~70 fps with most of my settings at high and only a few at ultra. Now, running the Vulkan renderer, I'm getting 120+ fps with literally every setting maxed to ultra. I'm getting double the frames with even higher settings.

So yeah, give it a go anyway. If nothing else, you should be able to make the game look prettier without having your FPS suffer.

shrekfan246 said:
but anything that further takes away Microsoft's stranglehold on gaming APIs is good in my eyes.
Agreed, wholeheartedly. And with AMD, nVidia, Valve, Epic, id, DICE, and others supporting Vulkan, maybe we'll finally see that stranglehold weaken.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Sadly, I can't get it to work. I think I should, I've got a Radeon R7 370 2gb, and I apparently have the vulkan files in my system, but if I turn it on with Doom, it just crashes as soon as I start the game.

Monk5127

All Hail Space Duck
Sep 6, 2014
Weresquirrel said:
Sadly, I can't get it to work. I think I should, I've got a Radeon R7 370 2gb, and I apparently have the vulkan files in my system, but if I turn it on with Doom, it just crashes as soon as I start the game.
What driver are you running? The release notes state you need to be running 16.7.1 at least to be able to use Vulkan in DooM4.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Monk5127 said:
Weresquirrel said:
What driver are you running? The release notes state you need to be running 16.7.1 at least to be able to use Vulkan in DooM4.
Running 16.7.2. I ran DDU and installed the latest drivers fresh, so not sure what else I can do. I can still run the game pretty well (40-50 fps on varied settings) without Vulkan, just a wee bit annoying I can't see what all the fuss is about :p

Monk5127

All Hail Space Duck
Sep 6, 2014
DDU can miss some components/parts of the AMD driver when removing. Try following the relevant guide for your OS here - http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/how-to-remove-your-amd-gpu-drivers-new-2016 then try reinstalling 16.7.2 and see how that goes. It's also worth doing a "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" on Steam too.