T-Mobile is Offering Customers Free Unlimited Pokemon Go Data Usage

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
T-Mobile is Offering Customers Free Unlimited Pokemon Go Data Usage

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1335/1335198.png

As part of the company's T-Mobile Tuesday promotion, the carrier is offering unlimited data to new and existing customers for Pokemon Go.

offering free unlimited Pokemon Go data usage [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167925-Niantic-to-Add-Sponsored-PokeStops-to-Pokemon-Go] to its US customers through the end of August 2017. This is part of the company's weekly T-Mobile Tuesdays promotion, and will be available for new and existing customers alike, starting July 19.

"This is what T-Mobile Tuesday is all about - thanking customers with hot, new, totally free gifts every week, and right now, nothing is hotter than Pokemon Go!" said John Legere, president and CEO of T-Mobile. "With the carriers' shared data schemes, players could easily burn up the family's data bucket - and then, hello, overages! At T-Mobile, we're unleashing Pokemon Go so our customers can play free for a year. It's gonna be a fantastic T-Mobile Tuesday!"

In order to get the offer - which also includes a free Lyft ride up to $15 and a free Frosty from Wendy's - customers have to download the T-Mobile Tuesdays app and claim the gift between July 19 and August 9. In addition, 250 people who participate in the promotion will receive $100 worth of PokeCoins (14,500), while five will win a trip for themselves and a guest to travel anywhere in the US to go Pokemon hunting.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/TMobile/status/753676312712183808]

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Wow, you Americans have T-Mobile, too?
I thought only we Germans were plagued by this monolith of a company trying anything in their power to keep us in the stone age and as far from fast internest speeds as possible.
But good on them for figuring out a way to get some positive PR, they certainly need it. Though it's curious they did it in the US only, since I know that everyone hates them in their homecountry of Germany as well.
Spoiler-Alert: If you haven't figured it out yet: I don't like T-Online very much.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
So, you Americans lost the big old battle on Net neutrality there, didn't you?

It's cool of T-Mobile to do this sort of thing though, good on them.

Metadigital

May 5, 2014
Haven't technically lost the battle on net neutrality, which is why companies are coming up with strategies like this to try to get consumers to give it up.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Amaror said:
I thought only we Germans were plagued by this monolith of a company trying anything in their power to keep us in the stone age and as far from fast internest speeds as possible.
But good on them for figuring out a way to get some positive PR, they certainly need it. Though it's curious they did it in the US only, since I know that everyone hates them in their homecountry of Germany as well.
Spoiler-Alert: If you haven't figured it out yet: I don't like T-Online very much.
The sad part is that T-Mobile is less Monolithic than its main competitors over here. One of them is AT&T, a company that reclaimed the name of its former parent company, which was broken up by the federal government for violating antitrust laws. They're not even trying to look like they're not a monopoly.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Amaror said:
T-Mobile are arguably the 'Good Guys' of American telecom, or as 'good' as it gets, anyway. They have worse speeds/coverage then the other guys, so they've had to get creative. They were the first ones to take pay-as-you-go and bring-your-own-phone plans to the forefront (Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T have all followed suit), and are fairly aggressive when it comes to pricing and incentives.

I mean, all things are relative - The word 'Telecomm' should be in the thesaurus, an alternative for a variety of really bad words no one should say in polite company, but you take the good where you can get it. I'd still be on T-Mobile, if it weren't for Google Fi and their spectacularly discounted cellphones and data refunds.

Also, you probably didn't get the deal because T-Mobile and T-Online, while owned by the same Mega-Corp, are distinct companies. Bummer.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Soooo... Does that mean when the promotion ends, ALL Pokemon Go data will not be unlimited anymore? Or just that if you accept the promotion before it ends, you'll ALWAYS get unlimited Pokemon Go data from now on?

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Honestly, T-mobile has been the most consumer friendly carrier here in the states.

Personally I'm not all that surprised by this move because they've been doing unlimited data for netflix, youtube, hulu, etc for a while now.

It certainly is the least evil carrier by far.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Arnoxthe1 said:
Soooo... Does that mean when the promotion ends, ALL Pokemon Go data will not be unlimited anymore? Or just that if you accept the promotion before it ends, you'll ALWAYS get unlimited Pokemon Go data from now on?
Promotion entry last for a month or so. The promotion results (Free Poke Data) last until August 2017.

12 months of free Pokemon Go-ing. Don't think that's a particularly good reason to change carriers personally, but for people already on T-Mobile, a pretty solid win.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Now if only T-Mobile coverage didn't suck ass. (I'm a T-mobile customer, so, trust me, I know how bad it can be).
Also, now if only I could game to work on my phone and not also suck ass. :p

fractal_butterfly

Sep 4, 2010
On the one hand a cool deal. On the other hand this is only possible with deep package inspection. Which goes against net neutrality.
It's somewhat a dick move to lure customers with Pokemon GO to enable suck dickbaggery.

Amaror said:
The German Telecom used money provided by the German government, which was initially intended for improving the communication infrastructure ("Netzausbau") to finance their venture in the USA. They failed. Not completely, but their investment was not returned. As a result the upgrade of our grid was postponed for about 8 years. Unfortunately our mainstream media don't cover this fraud, and it's very hard to get the data. Unfortunately I don't find it right now, otherwise I would link it.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
AccursedTheory said:
T-Mobile are arguably the 'Good Guys' of American telecom, or as 'good' as it gets, anyway. They have worse speeds/coverage then the other guys, so they've had to get creative. They were the first ones to take pay-as-you-go and bring-your-own-phone plans to the forefront (Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T have all followed suit), and are fairly aggressive when it comes to pricing and incentives.

I mean, all things are relative - The word 'Telecomm' should be in the thesaurus, an alternative for a variety of really bad words no one should say in polite company, but you take the good where you can get it. I'd still be on T-Mobile, if it weren't for Google Fi and their spectacularly discounted cellphones and data refunds.

Also, you probably didn't get the deal because T-Mobile and T-Online, while owned by the same Mega-Corp, are distinct companies. Bummer.
I used T-Mobile as the generall term for all companies under the T-.... brand here. They all suck equally bad, at least here in Germany. And we also do have T-Mobile here so they would be perfectly able to do this deal in Germany as well. I wouldn't really care since I will personally never pay that tumor of a company any money and there still are plenty of alternatives around.
If you want to know how bad the Telecom truly is, they are actively lobbying againt improving the infrastructure with fiberglass cable and are desperately trying to hold unto their sh**** copper-cable infrastructure.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
Meanwhile, in Canada.....
Oh, don't worry, our ISP's are shit too.

At least on the East Coast. I've had my price jacked to $100/mo for no reason, and when I went to the other carrier, they're like, "Nope! that's the standard now!"

Really makes you think...

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
BeerTent said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Meanwhile, in Canada.....
Oh, don't worry, our ISP's are shit too.

At least on the East Coast. I've had my price jacked to $100/mo for no reason, and when I went to the other carrier, they're like, "Nope! that's the standard now!"

Really makes you think...
You likely still get more for you $100 than Canadians across the board. Up here we have 2 telecom companies that own damn near 90% of the market. Rogers and Bell. Everyone else is a struggling company or a subsidiary of either.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
This is as bad as throttling down bandwidth for certain applications or websites. Worse even, because it tricks consumers into thinking it's a good thing.

This is bad in several levels. For one, it means your internet usage is being spied on and analysed. Secondly, it's anti-competitive, because it provides a special advantage to only one product over others. It's like making your car insurance free, but only if your car is a toyota.

Don't support this shit.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This is getting out of hand. Anybody here up for thinning the pokeherd in the name of humanity?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
They can distinguish what your mobile data can be used on? That does not sound like a promising future.
*Free stuff! Get your free stuff right here, folks! That's right...FREE! They call me lecraaazy But I just think I'm freeeeeeee!!!*