The Mini-NES Can't Go Online, Will Never Get New Games

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Mini-NES Can't Go Online, Will Never Get New Games

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1336/1336241.jpg
The 30 games that come pre-loaded on Nintendo's "Mini-NES" will be the only games you'll ever be able to play on the system.

Nintendo hit us right in the nostalgia yesterday by announcing the "Mini-NES" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167933-Nintendo-Announces-NES-Classic-Edition-Launching-in-November] stand-alone gaming platform. For just $59.99, you get the console, one controller and thirty games to play. The games were chosen "to provide a wide variety of top-quality, long-lasting game-play experiences," but for fans wondering if they'll ever be able to purchase additional games for the system when they get bored, I'm afraid you won't. Nintendo has confirmed that the Mini-NES won't be able to connect to the internet or any sort of external storage, and as such there will be no way to purchase additional games.

"The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices," Nintendo confirmed to Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/the-mini-nes-wont-open-cant-connect-to-the-internet-1783693116]. "The game lineup was chosen to provide a diverse mix of popular and recognizable NES games that appeal to a wide variety of players. Everyone should be able to find multiple games to enjoy."

It also confirmed that you won't be able to load old NES cartridges into the system, and the "cartridge slot" is non-functional and purely cosmetic. When asked if the company was planning "mini" versions of its other consoles, such as the SNES and N64, it neglected to comment.

Despite this, I'm sure it won't be long before modders crack open this system and figure out a way to load up more games on it...

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/the-mini-nes-wont-open-cant-connect-to-the-internet-1783693116]

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Translation: Crack this baby open and make this into the best Old School Nintendo/Sega/Mame console of all time.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
It's going to fly off the shelves regardless. The lineup they mentioned is beautiful.
The second the hackers fix the "can't add new games" issue, it's going to be even more scarce.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Or, you know, there are ways to play NES games on your computer. And connecting your computer to a monitor. And dongles that let you use an NES or SNES controller on your computer.

The idea is neat, and I've thought about buying a Sega Genesis re-release that does the same thing. Then I remember I already own a Sega Genesis, and an NES, and an SNES, N64, GameCube, PS1 & 2, Xbox360, and it's an ass-ache to connect any of them up (except the 360) without dragging up the 70 pound SDTV from the basement. So I use my computer.

sylvju48

Apr 7, 2014
So...where do you get a second controller? What about other classic games such as Duck Hunt which could easily make use of the wii-mote compatibility?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
So it's an even worse version of the Neo Geo X Gold as I thought. GG Nintendo.
sylvju48 said:
So...where do you get a second controller? What about other classic games such as Duck Hunt which could easily make use of the wii-mote compatibility?
Stand alone and shit out of luck, in that order.

Also congrats on your first post.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Long story short, it's a Nintendo version of these.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
-Dragmire- said:
Long story short, it's a Nintendo version of these.

Except the games are all good (and Castlevania II).

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This is not a money-maker Nintendo. It's not gonna work the way you think it will.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
I sure hope they will do something similar with the SNES. Especially with its controller.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
When the hackers start adding more games to the mix Nintendo are gonna look awful silly for not doing it themselves

Yeshe

Mar 1, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
Translation: Crack this baby open and make this into the best Old School Nintendo/Sega/Mame console of all time.
seconded

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
Vern said:
Or, you know, there are ways to play NES games on your computer. And connecting your computer to a monitor. And dongles that let you use an NES or SNES controller on your computer.
Hell, if you have a decent smartphone, a good bluetooth controller is like 30 bucks on Amazon and you can play them on the go. I have two Ipega controllers and they work like a charm when playing old games. I'm told MOGA is the gold standard though, probably get one eventually. As an added bonus, most of them will work with your computer's bluetooth and some even work with 360s/Xbox Ones/PS3s/PS4s. They have even made bluetooth controllers in the style of NES and SNES controllers.

As for this thing, it will still go over like gangbusters, despite the slightly ridiculous high price because gamers are nothing if not a nostalgic bunch. I have to wonder who the target consumer is. Most hardcore gamers still have their original systems (I know I have all these games and a functioning NES in my parent's basement somewhere) and those that don't know ways to play old games. I'd consider buying this just for the novelty factor but the price would have to come way down first.

It's like when they re-release all these old classics via digitally. Are people legit paying actual money to play Super Mario Bros. in HD? Do we not remember Mario All Stars? How many times have NES games been re-released already? Nintendo just keeps skating along on this nostalgia seems like.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
ANY kind of online compatibility and/or possibility of expanding its game library would almost certainly turn this thing from half-assed nostalgia bait to a bigger money maker than the WII.

Yeah, that's a pretty strong lineup of games it comes with, but how much fun is it to buy a console and knowing for a fact that what you have right now is all you're ever gonna get from it?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
FalloutJack said:
This is not a money-maker Nintendo. It's not gonna work the way you think it will.
I have friends that already want it. When I see they are demanding $5 for 30 year old games I could play on my Wii U, I scoff. When I see I could get this particular 30, including Final Fantasy, for $60? I may open my wallet.

Naldan said:
I sure hope they will do something similar with the SNES. Especially with its controller.
Seems likely. The SNES was far superior to the NES but should not be that difficult to put into a box like this. It will happen. Later, maybe N64. Gamecube seems unlikely. That was a particularly odd beast. Even Ben Heck hasn't tried to make a portable version.