Rise of the Tomb Raider Comes to PlayStation 4 This Fall

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Rise of the Tomb Raider Comes to PlayStation 4 This Fall

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1337/1337145.jpg

Rise of the Tomb Raider to release for PlayStation 4 on October 11.

Rise of the Tomb Raider released as a timed Xbox exclusive on November 10, and while it released in January on PC [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165738-Rise-of-the-Tomb-Raider-Hits-PC-on-January-28], the game remained an Xbox One and Xbox 360 console exclusive. Now, PlayStation 4 players who want to try out Lara Croft's latest adventure will have the chance, come this fall - Rise of the Tomb Raider will hit the PS4 on October 11.

The release will be a special edition, titled Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration, as the franchise celebrates its 20th Anniversary on October 25. The special edition will include not only the game, but also all of its dlc, and a new story chapter, "Blood Ties." In this chapter, players will explore Croft Manor, and then defend it against a zombie invasion. There will also be PlayStation VR support for "Blood Ties," using first-person perspective.

All of the new content will be available for Xbox One and PC Season Pass owners, with the exception of VR support. No season pass is needed for PS4 players to get the content.

"The studio is celebrating with all Tomb Raider fans, thanking them for being on Lara's 20 year journey with us," said Scot Amos, co-Head of Studio at Crystal Dynamics. "The team has packed in surprises, new story, and the top-requested special features into this 20 Year Celebration edition."

"This year we celebrate 20 years of the iconic Lara Croft," said Ron Rosenberg, co-Head of Studio at Crystal Dynamics. "This provided the perfect opportunity for us to deliver a new Tomb Raider experience. With the addition of PlayStation VR support, you can play the world through Lara's eyes for the first time in franchise history."

[gallery=6348]

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Ugh, zombies? Really? Not entirely sure that a few bits of DLC and a gimmicky extra counts as a good way to celebrate the franchises' twenty year anniversary.

Loved the reboot - got bored/annoyed with Rise after about an hour, and I've still not gone back to it, so colour me indifferent. Exploring the mansion's usually been fun, I suppose.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013

...It would appear patience has its' rewards. Admittedly, unavoidable patience necessitated by artificial restrictions. *Nods knowingly in MS's direction*

The Purple Grape

Jun 5, 2015
Because first person platforming always works well--Oh right 'reboot' so archery simulator.With press X to whine insistently. Or circle for daddy.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I've been playing Rise this past week on pc. I like that the tombs are actually more fleshed this time, though not as much as I'd have hoped in some the later ones. Sadly this is spoiled by the rest of the game feeling like a collect and craftathon. Worth a look but nothing to rush out for which again makes the whole timed exclusivity look like even more of a misstep. Although some added content is always welcome.

For the next game I think if they drop the crafting fluff and focus on more long form tombs with some of the open areas to explore it would be an improvement.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I'm a zombie fanatic but I don't see PS4 owners running out to buy the game because of a zombie mode.

Are people really going to want this after a year, when they have Uncharted 4 to play?

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Oh yeah, that game was a thing that didn't come to PS4 because Micro$oft had a giant sack of money...I hope the game bombs on PS4 as it did on PC and Xbone, maybe then Square will get the message that exclusives aren't a good thing