Latest No Man's Sky Trailer Shows Off Trading, Resource Collection

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Latest No Man's Sky Trailer Shows Off Trading, Resource Collection

The third video showing off No Man's Sky features trading and collecting resources.

This is the third video in a new series showing off No Man's Sky. The first two videos featured exploration and combat [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167981-New-No-Mans-Sky-Trailer-Features-Space-and-Ground-Combat].

This trailer offers a look at how you'll gather resources and how you'll trade them. It also features a glimpse at what the trading and crafting UIs will look like.

No Man's Sky will be released on PC and PS4 on August 9.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hm. Not bad. Though it's kind of sad that the mining laser looks like it has more oomph than the actual weapons.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Interesting. But more than a little vague.

Every time I see NMS footage I have to slap myself to keep from going "Ooh, shiny...!" and drooling a little, but that's neither here nor there.

It would be nice to know, for example, what effect the quasi-multiplayer nature of the game will have on what is available to trade. In a universe as large as the one NMS purports to offer, it could be little or none even if it is enabled as a possibility, but it would also be easy enough to simply seed purchasable technology throughout the various trade points, have it scale based on individual players and their resources, and have no interaction in that regard between different players at all.

"Every trade tells a story"? Lovely tag line, but what does that actually mean?

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I'm waiting till the game comes out and I can read real reviews by normal (ish) people before purchasing it.

That being said, they could make it so you have a choice when you start a new game, you can either start randomly anywhere in the whole NMS universe, or.....you could start in one galaxy (randomly)...which would drastically increase the likelyhood of meeting other people or finding planets others have discovered etc. That would give you the option of either extreme exploration and mostly solo content, or the chance at least of meeting up with other humans every so often.

I was a fan of the original elite....and have not really found another game that grabbed my attention as well (as far as trading/pirating etc), even though many other clones have been made. IT would be awesome if this somehow recaptured the feeling of the game, but I may just be too old and jaded now.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Hm. Not bad. Though it's kind of sad that the mining laser looks like it has more oomph than the actual weapons.
Lol glad I am not the only one who noticed just how lacking in any impact and power the player and ship weapons seemed to be. The concept here should have sold me but the more I see of the game the less it is capturing my imagination, you can mine and trade and fight and upgrade and.... why? Could this open unexplored universe eventually create EVE-esque groups, clans and inter player politics.... the game concept lends itself to it and from what I've seen this is where the 'point' of this game is going to be.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
Laughing Man said:
Lol glad I am not the only one who noticed just how lacking in any impact and power the player and ship weapons seemed to be. The concept here should have sold me but the more I see of the game the less it is capturing my imagination, you can mine and trade and fight and upgrade and.... why? Could this open unexplored universe eventually create EVE-esque groups, clans and inter player politics.... the game concept lends itself to it and from what I've seen this is where the 'point' of this game is going to be.
It's hard to say how the game is going to develop going forward; Hello Games has said that if it does well enough for them to not immediately have to start making a Joe Danger port or something to keep the bills paid, they'd like to keep working on it. There's apparently ideas and mechanics they had that unfortunately had to be cut due to time and budget constraints, in order to avoid succumbing to feature creep by biting off more than they can chew.

However, for the time being, the game is most decidedly geared towards a solo/non-intimate multiplayer experience. By which I mean other players can reportedly be in the same region as you, and you even might see them, but beyond maybe shooting them in the face, there's not a lot you can DO with them. No chat mechanics, no trading between players or forming 'groups' in a traditional sense. It's why Steam actually lists the game as Single Player, despite there reportedly being at least some level of player-to-player interaction.

As for the point, it does pretty much boil down to a George Mallory quote; 'Because It's There.' =P The base game, at the very least, seems built with exploration as the central purpose, and everything else in it just serves to add challenge and progression to it. The crafting, mining and trading help improve your character, something that is necessary because the closer to the center of the galaxy you get, the more dangerous and 'weird' things reportedly become and the better the gear you need to not be obliterated.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
wulfy42 said:
I was a fan of the original elite....and have not really found another game that grabbed my attention as well (as far as trading/pirating etc), even though many other clones have been made. IT would be awesome if this somehow recaptured the feeling of the game, but I may just be too old and jaded now.
Have you tried Elite Dangerous? It's been out for a while and has had time to develop very nicely.

BlackJesus

Aug 31, 2014
I hope that it isn't just a boring NPC vendor. I hope there's a player market, even a rudimentary one, like there used to be in Runescape. It was really cool to walk around a city and hear actual vendors hawking their wares in their lingo.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is the only one out of the three that wasn't a cut up mess. So it reads a good trailer, even though it's incredibly vague about it.

Callate said:
Interesting. But more than a little vague.

Every time I see NMS footage I have to slap myself to keep from going "Ooh, shiny...!" and drooling a little, but that's neither here nor there.

It would be nice to know, for example, what effect the quasi-multiplayer nature of the game will have on what is available to trade. In a universe as large as the one NMS purports to offer, it could be little or none even if it is enabled as a possibility, but it would also be easy enough to simply seed purchasable technology throughout the various trade points, have it scale based on individual players and their resources, and have no interaction in that regard between different players at all.

"Every trade tells a story"? Lovely tag line, but what does that actually mean?
I do the same thing. My brain goes "Oooooooohhhhhh". Then I'm like, "wait, I'm gonna have to see a lot of this and if there isn't much substance to it, it doesn't matter how it looks".

I can't imagine that the MP aspect will have any impact at all, to be honest. With a universe as large as it purports to be, then how could it. It would be interesting that if two people were trading say... within 5 systems of each other and you could tell by trade prices. You could use it potentially as a way to know when you are relatively close to each other. That would be a fun aspect, if they didn't necessarily make you able to meet up easily, then just a way to get relatively close to another player. That is the stuff of good storytelling there, when two people just barely miss crossing paths or just barely actually cross paths.

But to be honest, they have been pretty strait forward with this title. There is really no designed interaction with other players at all.

Einspanner

Mar 6, 2016
BlackJesus said:
I hope that it isn't just a boring NPC vendor. I hope there's a player market, even a rudimentary one, like there used to be in Runescape. It was really cool to walk around a city and hear actual vendors hawking their wares in their lingo.
If they had anything other than an NPC vendor, don't you think they'd be having it out there front and center? They have to be aware of the reaction that's building to this game, and something concrete (that's good) would of course dispel much of it.

Given that you won't ever even see other players, what exactly am I trading for? A bigger ship, to carry more stuff, to get a bigger ship, for... reasons?

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
wulfy42 said:
Have you tried Elite Dangerous? It's been out for a while and has had time to develop very nicely.

I have not tried it, though it's on my wishlist for steam. I heard bad reviews/comments on it at first (was full of empty space, not much to do etc), and have not really looked into it since then. I think it has auto-pilot to dock etc though, which was part of the fun of the original for me (I know you could get auto-pilot...but I always liked docking myself). Still I will probably eventually get it. It was on sale for the summer event recently but I still held off. If it has really improved that much I may need to reconsider soon. I'll still wait for NMS to get released though since....one huge game like this is enough for me:)

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
wulfy42 said:
I have not tried it, though it's on my wishlist for steam. I heard bad reviews/comments on it at first (was full of empty space, not much to do etc), and have not really looked into it since then.
It's a bit of a Marmite game, and whilst I can see why some might be eternally bored by it, I personally adore it, and it's become one of the finest gaming experiences I've ever had (never played the original Elite, but I did own Frontier - was dreadful at it, but I was still awed by it).

I think it has auto-pilot to dock etc though, which was part of the fun of the original for me (I know you could get auto-pilot...but I always liked docking myself).
Automated docking triggers under 7.5km from a station (orbital or surface), but it's an optional module (when you dock with docking music on, you get a brief excerpt of some distinctly 2001/oldskool Elite classical music).

Still I will probably eventually get it. It was on sale for the summer event recently but I still held off. If it has really improved that much I may need to reconsider soon. I'll still wait for NMS to get released though since....one huge game like this is enough for me:)
I only game on an Xbox, so I have no way of playing NMS. I would likely try it out, but I'm a sucker for harder sci-fi and astronomy, and so NMS just looks like a cartoon to me (I'm all for a spectrum of space games, btw, I'm just saying NMS really doesn't float my space-boat. hopefully it'll be a bit of a 'gateway drug' for PS owners once Elite turns up on the system).

If you ever do get Elite, head to the official boards - they have the predictable internetz/forum whiners, but for the most part it's a decent little community who'll practically trip over each other and themselves to help anyone out. There are superbly cultivated resource threads and pages, too, so whatever role you wish to go for there's exhaustive amounts of help.