Starbound v 1.0 Launches Today With New Trailer

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Starbound v 1.0 Launches Today With New Trailer

Starbound has finally left early access and has a full retail release.

Earlier this month we learned that indie constructor finally leaving early access [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/starbound>Starbound would be <a href=] for it's bit 1.0 release this month. We are now happy to report that that day has finally come, and Starbound has been updated for players new and old. Developer Chucklefish has put together a launch trailer showcasing some of the new features for the game, which you can check out to the right.

If you already own the early access version of the game, it should automatically update to v 1.0 in your Steam library. New players can this change log [http://store.steampowered.com/app/211820/].

Additionally, Chucklefish has confirmed [http://playstarbound.com/starbound-1-0-steam-workshop/] that the game has full mod support at launch! From the start menu, you'll be able to view which mods you've currently got installed and browse the Workshop via the Steam overlay.

So what are you waiting for? Get crafting! If you'd like to know more be sure to check out our review [https://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine].

Source: Chucklefish [http://playstarbound.com/blog/]

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Nice trailer. I've been on the fence with this game for a long time. I have Terraria, but never really got into it that much (I think I played it very early and alot more was added over time). I'm also a bit adverse at this point to buying games before they are finished.

Now that it is finished, i'm curious if I should bother with No Man's Sky just around the corner. There is only so much time I have to play games, and I have a ton of other kinds I like. Most of the meat of this game that I have seen (Even in this trailer) looks very similar to terraria.....which I should play again some year, but just have not had time/inclination to get back to.

So what are peoples opinions on this game...both that already have it, and who are considering getting it? I'm still really on the fence.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
wulfy42 said:
Nice trailer. I've been on the fence with this game for a long time. I have Terraria, but never really got into it that much (I think I played it very early and alot more was added over time). I'm also a bit adverse at this point to buying games before they are finished.

Now that it is finished, i'm curious if I should bother with No Man's Sky just around the corner. There is only so much time I have to play games, and I have a ton of other kinds I like. Most of the meat of this game that I have seen (Even in this trailer) looks very similar to terraria.....which I should play again some year, but just have not had time/inclination to get back to.

So what are peoples opinions on this game...both that already have it, and who are considering getting it? I'm still really on the fence.
Well, why did you not get into Terraria? Starbound and Terraria are more comparable than say, Terraria and Miencraft, but I think Starbound has enough differences to stand out. For one, its harder. Atleast early game. I feel more of a struggle to get by. Also it has a direct plot, quests, and dungeons that make me feel like I am playing Metroid at times.

Starbound feels like the more "hardcore" Terraria, though that is as much a reason to play it as to not play it. I am mostly curious how end game will feel. I got hundreds of hours in Terraria, and have virtually everything, and being able to do whatever I want is pretty fun, and I wonder how badass I will feel end-game Starbound.

Plus Terraria has had tons of updates, and so I wonder what Starbound 1.3 will be like, since Terraria 1.3 is so different than 1.0 was

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Saelune said:
wulfy42 said:

Well, why did you not get into Terraria? Starbound and Terraria are more comparable than say, Terraria and Miencraft, but I think Starbound has enough differences to stand out. For one, its harder. Atleast early game. I feel more of a struggle to get by. Also it has a direct plot, quests, and dungeons that make me feel like I am playing Metroid at times.

Starbound feels like the more "hardcore" Terraria, though that is as much a reason to play it as to not play it. I am mostly curious how end game will feel. I got hundreds of hours in Terraria, and have virtually everything, and being able to do whatever I want is pretty fun, and I wonder how badass I will feel end-game Starbound.

Plus Terraria has had tons of updates, and so I wonder what Starbound 1.3 will be like, since Terraria 1.3 is so different than 1.0 was
Funny, my experience is the exact opposite. Starbound is the easier, more casual game that focuses more on exploring and stuff over Terraria's balls to the wall smash your teeth in boss fights. Then again I usually get too bored with Starbound to get very far into it. I'm trying very hard to give it a second (actually probably the fourth or fifth) chance here to see if Chucklefish actually made a good game instead of doing their level best to suck all the fun out of the great concept they initially had.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I got bored with Terraria because when I played it there was no real point or end game. I think there was 3 bosses you could fight at that time. Not even sure if it had been released yet...hmmm...my steam version of the game was purchases in nov/2012.....but I may have had another version before that.

Anyway, I heard there was additional content added over time, and it's probably more fun now, but at least when I played it I went through most of the content pretty fast, and just didn't see much point in playing anymore. I kept meaning to go back and play it again.....but my list of games to play for the first time just keep getting longer and longer. It's sounding like I should hold off on Starbound though at least till I find time to play Terraria again. If both games are very similar, and people are kinda split between which one they like more, then I guess I already have a game close enough like starbound to try if I get the urge for now.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
It's weird that I have this problem with the game, and maybe it's because I'm a very audio cued individual, but the music is almost... not fitting for the game. Don't get me wrong, it beautiful and lovely sounding on it's own. Really great work.

But the thing with Terraria is my brain is telling me, yes this chiptuneish sounding stuff pairs with pixel building and silly 2D adventure combat just right, perfect fit. I go into Starbound with an equally retro esque touch to it's visual design and the sweeping orchestral music just sounds incorrect everytime I loaded it up during the early access.

And I just can't seem to ...get over that hurdle. I think if I was going to put my game on early access like that I'd definitely make different audio choices based on the visual design of the game. Also the weapons wielded by the characters still look lopsided to me. Again Terraria does this a bit better and as silly as it looks coming from your face the weapon always at least feels centered from your character.

That said Starbound looks like it's come along way since I tested it, sadly just don't have the time after the 3 games I bought during the sale and WoW:Legion about a month away.

wulfy42 said:
I got bored with Terraria because when I played it there was no real point or end game. I think there was 3 bosses you could fight at that time. Not even sure if it had been released yet...hmmm...my steam version of the game was purchases in nov/2012.....but I may have had another version before that.

Anyway, I heard there was additional content added over time, and it's probably more fun now, but at least when I played it I went through most of the content pretty fast, and just didn't see much point in playing anymore. I kept meaning to go back and play it again.....but my list of games to play for the first time just keep getting longer and longer. It's sounding like I should hold off on Starbound though at least till I find time to play Terraria again. If both games are very similar, and people are kinda split between which one they like more, then I guess I already have a game close enough like starbound to try if I get the urge for now.
Terraria isn't even the same game anymore, I feel like it's come further than you could ever have imagined. I was a veteran of the first iteration too and I just can't believe it's the same game now. Music upgrades, background visual upgrades, more bosses, a million items (not kidding), steam integration multiplayer. It's just got a great progression path to it, and yes eventually you'll reach the final boss and final armor set and get bored, but it's a hell of a ride to that point now.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Charli said:
It's weird that I have this problem with the game, and maybe it's because I'm a very audio cued individual, but the music is almost... not fitting for the game. Don't get me wrong, it beautiful and lovely sounding on it's own. Really great work.

But the thing with Terraria is my brain is telling me, yes this chiptuneish sounding stuff pairs with pixel building and silly 2D adventure combat just right, perfect fit. I go into Starbound with an equally retro esque touch to it's visual design and the sweeping orchestral music just sounds incorrect everytime I loaded it up during the early access.

And I just can't seem to ...get over that hurdle. I think if I was going to put my game on early access like that I'd definitely make different audio choices based on the visual design of the game. Also the weapons wielded by the characters still look lopsided to me. Again Terraria does this a bit better and as silly as it looks coming from your face the weapon always at least feels centered from your character.

That said Starbound looks like it's come along way since I tested it, sadly just don't have the time after the 3 games I bought during the sale and WoW:Legion about a month away.

wulfy42 said:

Terraria isn't even the same game anymore, I feel like it's come further than you could ever have imagined. I was a veteran of the first iteration too and I just can't believe it's the same game now. Music upgrades, background visual upgrades, more bosses, a million items (not kidding), steam integration multiplayer. It's just got a great progression path to it, and yes eventually you'll reach the final boss and final armor set and get bored, but it's a hell of a ride to that point now.
Ok, reloading it on my comp and will put it to the top of my list of games I currently own and need to play:) Thanks

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Ah, Starbound updates.

I sure love the fact that they delete the characters that one spend dosents of times building each time the game adds new features.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
What I disliked heavily about Terraria was its mining. You had no choice that I know of other than picking one block at a time. Even at late game. I know that there is that mining tool in Starbound, but as far as I know it mines so slow that it gets more of a chore than mining one block at a time.

Is this still true? To both, Terraria and Starbound?

Boaz Yakubov

Apr 3, 2012
starb
Naldan said:
What I disliked heavily about Terraria was its mining. You had no choice that I know of other than picking one block at a time. Even at late game. I know that there is that mining tool in Starbound, but as far as I know it mines so slow that it gets more of a chore than mining one block at a time.

Starboundi think has a 3x3 mining option simultaniously which is a fast as 1x1 mining

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Naldan said:

You can upgrade your mining tool in Starbound to mine larger areas and to mine much faster. (As well as farther away).

Terraria not so much, unless you have the end game Drill mount (which is super fun since you are unstoppable through the earth) Though the one biggest advantage of controller in Terraria is mining. Making a hellavator with a controller is as simple as pointing down and holding right trigger. Other aspects of controller use are lacking though, especially on PC.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Charli said:
I go into Starbound with an equally retro esque touch to it's visual design and the sweeping orchestral music just sounds incorrect everytime I loaded it up during the early access.
They must've changed that then. Because I'm currently watching Vinesauce's Vinny play it and it has a very retro synthwave soundtrack, not orchestral at all. I heard some sweeping stuff, but it was sweeping with beeps and boops and whatnot. Sweeping in the same way some Terraria tracks are sweeping. But it sounds very retro at least.

Said stream is really convincing me of the game by the way. It has all kinds of lore and shit now, going way deeper than Terraria ever did. I liked that game, mind you, but in the end it was a little vapid. But I'm having the same issue as someone mentioned above and that that's No Man's Sky is around the corner. And I only have so much time and money for games.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Thanks to both of you. Sounds like the biggest hurdle is gone. Thanks!

Jan 27, 2011
Been playing it since it launched yesterday.

They finally fixed most of my gripes with it and now it's actually worth a damn! :D I'm enjoying it so far.

As for Terraria VS Starbound...They're similar games, but have fundamentally different themes.

Terraria is about using the resources of a world to gather a team of ragtag misfits in a single defendable base and to gear yourself up so you can slay the various primal forces that threaten the world. You're basically learning the world so you can turn it against itself. Exploration is a key element, but the game is more of a glorified Boss Rush where much of the game is spent on gearing up and using the Guide to find the next Boss to crush. There's no real plot, just you and your motley crew camping out in a distant continent there to slay the ancient demons that live there.

Starbound is more about exploration. You hop from world to world looking for clues to advance the story and colonizing various worlds to get the resources you need to gear up in order to complete the main story, and to gather a crew to continue your hunt. That and while Terraria allows you to cheese some fights by setting up "arenas" and using the environment to win, Starbound turns the game into a pure 2D metroid-like experience where you have only your weapons and gear to depend on so you can't "cheese" combat. Oh, and it DOES actually have a plot that ties stuff together.

They're both good games at what they do, they just do things a little different.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Naldan said:

There's a 'smart' mining toggle. Can't remember the hotkey. With it toggled, you will automatically mine every targetable block in range.