189: The Pirate's Ballad

Graeme Virtue

May 23, 2008
The Pirate's Ballad

Who are the pirates of the digital age? Are they the Jack Sparrows and Han Solos of the computer world, or is the reality something altogether less romantic? This is the story of a modern pirate, D-Man2010, and his modern take on flying the Jolly Roger.

Read Full Article

Front Row

Jan 23, 2009
Awesome Article !!!

Thx a lot for this - it remembers my to the "old amiga days"

Great job on the interview as well.

Cheers

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
Among the greatest articles I've read on the escapist since my joining here. Good job mate, keep it up.

Grand_Marquis

Feb 9, 2009
Wow, that's a really great glimpse into a full-time pirate's personality.
I'd love to see a follow-up article; this guy sounds really fascinating.

Fineldar

Jun 8, 2008
Man, that guy just openly admitted to tax evasion. They can get him on that. Even if he doesn't have a bank account, he must get his food, housing, etc. somewhere.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Fineldar said:
Man, that guy just openly admitted to tax evasion. They can get him on that. Even if he doesn't have a bank account, he must get his food, housing, etc. somewhere.
Hasn't happened yet eh?

NuZZ

Jan 15, 2009
SkidRow huh. Those guys used to be kind of scene legends. Now not so much. This guy is just another HTTP uploader is he? So many these days... warez-bb projectw are full of em and ninjavideo stream. Not the greatest source for warez imo. Slow and sometimes unreliable.

Lately all these piracy related articles have been very... Dry, I guess. The Scene News community is where I enjoy myself. Websites such as; www.scnsrc.net, www.zerosec.ws and www.rlslog.net - in ascending order of "corruption". The IRC communities are definitely quite awesome.

When I say your articles are dry I mean that they are devoid of any real substance into modern warez. One talks about some guys dabble with what seems like a very mainstream experience. He goes on about the woes of piracy, like it should make you feel guilty or something. I hope it is a satire or else it is quite retarded.

No, modern piracy is just pure awesomeness. PC gaming has never been so rewarding. Down the latest releases, from which most haven't online ability - other than LAN or Hamachi-like services. You just buy the games that do have decent online play - or in other words: they are worth the cash. I find little of these "good" pc games though :(. Pretty much anything Blizzard you have to buy though, that is one this most pirates "should" agree on. /me waits angrily for Starcraft 2, cash in hand.

Eh... Well.
Piracy is a lifestyle of entertainment. It fucking owns.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
avidabey said:
Ha, this article speaks to an opinion I've always held. So many people - progressives, social crusaders, pirates or what have you - who stand up against authority do it for self-aggrandizement. So they can say that they've stood up to "the man". Mindless, thoughtless zeal, I call it. Not to say it's useless, however. A person fighting for human rights just so he can feel good or some other equally selfish, puerile reason, is still fighting for human rights.
Being read, followed, or relied on by thousands of people on the internet is better than any drug on the planet. It literally feels like liquid lightening is pouring through your veins when your hit count goes through the roof. A lot of people don't believe me, but I swear I can feel it without even checking my stats.

Not that this really disagrees with anything you're saying, but I know why the guy does it.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Fineldar said:
Prove it was him that was speaking.

NuZZ, your last sentence, I'd sig it if the escapist had signatures, that was epic.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
NuZZ said:
SkidRow huh. Those guys used to be kind of scene legends. Now not so much. This guy is just another HTTP uploader is he? So many these days... warez-bb projectw are full of em and ninjavideo stream. Not the greatest source for warez imo. Slow and sometimes unreliable.

Lately all these piracy related articles have been very... Dry, I guess. The Scene News community is where I enjoy myself. Websites such as; www.scnsrc.net, www.zerosec.ws and www.rlslog.net - in ascending order of "corruption". The IRC communities are definitely quite awesome.

When I say your articles are dry I mean that they are devoid of any real substance into modern warez. One talks about some guys dabble with what seems like a very mainstream experience. He goes on about the woes of piracy, like it should make you feel guilty or something. I hope it is a satire or else it is quite retarded.

No, modern piracy is just pure awesomeness. PC gaming has never been so rewarding. Down the latest releases, from which most haven't online ability - other than LAN or Hamachi-like services. You just buy the games that do have decent online play - or in other words: they are worth the cash. I find little of these "good" pc games though :(. Pretty much anything Blizzard you have to buy though, that is one this most pirates "should" agree on. /me waits angrily for Starcraft 2, cash in hand.

Eh... Well.
Piracy is a lifestyle of entertainment. It fucking owns.
So we must understand that you don't play games which do not have a "decent online play", right?