Hearthstone's Next Adventure - One Night in Karazhan revealed

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hearthstone's Next Adventure - One Night in Karazhan revealed

Hearthstone's fourth adventure - One Night in Karazhan, launches on August 11.

During a special livestream event [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167978-Hearthstone-Livestream-Teases-New-Adventure], Blizzard revealed the fourth "adventure" expansion pack for its wildly popular card battler, Hearthstone. It's called One Night in Karazhan, and as predicted, takes place in the Karazhan dungeon from Warcraft lore. Like previous adventures, four wings will be released on a weekly basis, with each wing setting you back 700 gold or $6.99 USD. You won't have to wait too long for this one though, as the first wing is scheduled to release on August 11.

There is more. This time around, a special "free" wing "The Prologue" will reward all players with two free cards. The other four wings and class challenges will offer up 43 additional cards, for a total of 45.

Blizzard gave us a look at seven of them during the livestream, which you can check out below:

[gallery=6363]

We will have more info over the coming week, as Blizzard will no doubt be trickling card reveals one-by-one.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/expansions-adventures/one-night-in-karazhan/]

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Well, Hearthstone has officially gone off the deep end. I mean, it was crazy before, but this throws any sense of rationality or realism out the window.

And I know it's probably stupid to complain about that, but, well, it's the Internet. Petty griping is its thing.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
A 2/2 beast for 1 mana.
Is their new standard for "balance" living roots or what.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Hawki said:
Well, Hearthstone has officially gone off the deep end. I mean, it was crazy before, but this throws any sense of rationality or realism out the window.

And I know it's probably stupid to complain about that, but, well, it's the Internet. Petty griping is its thing.
No I always found Heeathstone stupid, ever since Goblins and Gnomes.

I know Warcraft had its humourous moments but that was relegated to easter eggs.

This is just a slap in the face to only me as a Warcraft fan, but to the setting the awesome Raid instance that was Karazhan:

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
let's see what this party will offer...

Flamelands portal -Dear God! this card will be amazing in arena (because mage really needs more amazing cards for that mode/s). I think it will also see its way into stranded.

Enchanted Raven -Some people have call this power creep but I'm not sure it will be that useful. I think living roots is a much better 1 drop in most cases. don't get me wrong I think it will find it's place I just don't think it's an auto include.

Ivory Knight-Not sure about this one, on one hand I love playing what I like to call "Fuck you I'm healing" Paladin but I'm not sure if this will fit into that deck type. Tuskarr Jouster just seems like the better choice and that card isn't really played.

Ethereal Peddler- when I first looked at this I didn't think it was that good but looking at it more it could be okay. It's a pit fighter with a cool ability. I can see some rouges playing this.

The Curator I can not call this one. On one hand drawing 3 cards is pretty damn good, one the other hand I can't see the beast, dragon and Murloc meta happening.

Barnes A lot of people are calling this card bad but maybe it can be okay, maybe. If you have a deck with a lot of good death-rattle decks or or active at the end of your turn cards it could be okay but I really don't see this being played.

Kindly Grandmother- I think this card is really good and sadly may bring face hunter back to broken levels.

Schtimpy

Oct 29, 2013
For The Curator, I see a 7 mana 4-6 draw Malygos. That or a Reno-deck, but if you have one dragon in your deck...I mean, nothing says you have to run a murloc.

Ivory Knight Remember these are Pally spells, half of them are 1 mana. But one of them is blessing of kings, so...

Kindly Grandmother: Is Forlorn Stalker a card now? I don't think so, but the smartass in me says yes.

Enchanted Raven Calling it now, Face Druid. ...or a 1-drop in token/beast druid. Roots is still better.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Enchanted Raven is making it into my beast druid deck (because I'm weird and have a beast druid deck). A little bit of luck and you've got a 4/4 at turn 2 with either taunt or a free draw. Or it's another good combo for an early guardian making it a 3/3 (in case you need to use your roots earlier). Plus I'm dust poor and only have one roots anyway, so it fills the gap

Firelands portal: My mage deck has summoning stone and a ton of control (as mage decks do. well the control. I'm the only one dumb enough to run the stone), so this card is the full 40 keks

Grandmother: Oh boy, buffing face hunters again. yay.

Ivory: Doesn't really have a place in either my murloc or DS decks. I guess it can be useful though

Curator: The only deck murlocs are really useful in don't get with a 4/6 for 7. And you're going to need multiple good dragons/beasts in case you draw one by the time you have curator. I dunno, are there any good beasts for spell damage decks?

Peddler: Dusted all my rogue cards a while back to make my dragon priest deck halfway work

Barnes: Well Zoolock still likes double-summons don't they?

edit- oh and tonally, HS was always a joke. It's just the basic cards were often boring. We're coming off the partially-serious (C'THUN! C'THUN!) old gods, so yah the next thing was going to be out there.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Hawki said:
Realism? Complaining about rationality at least makes a bit of sense since that presumably means you'd prefer more of a serious tone and less randomness in the gameplay. But realism? Since when did anything in the entire Warcraft franchise bear any resemblance to reality?

loa said:
A 2/2 beast for 1 mana.
Class cards have always been more powerful than neutral ones. You get 1/2 or 2/1 plus an ability for 1 mana as standard, and there are already plenty of class cards with 4 stats and an ability for 1. 2/2 with creature type but no ability is hardly unbalanced. Plus it's a Druid card; they'd need overpowered cards just to make a beast deck viable.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
MCerberus said:
Enchanted Raven is making it into my beast druid deck (because I'm weird and have a beast druid deck). A little bit of luck and you've got a 4/4 at turn 2 with either taunt or a free draw. Or it's another good combo for an early guardian making it a 3/3 (in case you need to use your roots earlier). Plus I'm dust poor and only have one roots anyway, so it fills the gap

Firelands portal: My mage deck has summoning stone and a ton of control (as mage decks do. well the control. I'm the only one dumb enough to run the stone), so this card is the full 40 keks

Grandmother: Oh boy, buffing face hunters again. yay.

Ivory: Doesn't really have a place in either my murloc or DS decks. I guess it can be useful though

Curator: The only deck murlocs are really useful in don't get with a 4/6 for 7. And you're going to need multiple good dragons/beasts in case you draw one by the time you have curator. I dunno, are there any good beasts for spell damage decks?

Peddler: Dusted all my rogue cards a while back to make my dragon priest deck halfway work

Barnes: Well Zoolock still likes double-summons don't they?

edit- oh and tonally, HS was always a joke. It's just the basic cards were often boring. We're coming off the partially-serious (C'THUN! C'THUN!) old gods, so yah the next thing was going to be out there.
I run stone in my mage Yogg deck. If it lives for a round it is usually GG

And grandma is way to slow for face hunter (which is well past it's glory days). It does almost guarantee a 3/2 beast for t4 though which is nice for midrange

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
loa said:
A 2/2 beast for 1 mana.
Living Roots can either summon the same amount of stats in two parts, or deal two damage. I'd argue that Living Roots is still better unless Beast Druid finally gets what it needs to be viable.

The Philistine

Jan 15, 2010
I could see Curator making it's way into druid decks. Azure drakes and Druid of the Claw are both common picks. Not sure about the murloc, but a 4/6 taunt with two card draws isn't bad. About comparable to the prenerf Ancient of Lore.

Schtimpy

Oct 29, 2013
Kibeth41 said:
The Curator - Curator is a pretty shit card. I'll tell you that now. Dragons, beasts and Murlocs are all dependent on possessing other dragons, beasts and Murlocs. The best class I can think of for this card is Paladin. But then, I highly doubt that it's worth running a gimped deck for a card with gimped stats, just so you can draw 3 unsynced cards at a late stage of the game. The curator is almost boogeyman tier of bad.

The only way the Curator could be a good card is if it played a Murloc, Beast and Dragon from your deck. But merely drawing them into your hand is a waste.
In the Curators defense:

Murlocs: Sir Finley

Dragons: Azure Drake, Big Drop

Beasts: uh, Kodo maybe?

-The only place Finley sees play is in agro decks, but in a control deck this lets you have two draws. I've been thinking about trying Justicar + Finley (just imagine control hunter with tank up) and this makes it easier. And running a murloc or two isn't the end of the world. Bilefin, knight, or the 2-1 charge are all fine.

-Every one and their grandma runs Azure Drake in some deck. Or if you have one or two big dragons in your deck, bam. Great for control decks.

-I'm meh on beasts. I'd have to look through the card list to find something.

It works in tribe decks to. In a beast deck, it draws {Finley}, Azure Drake, and a random minion. In a Dragon Paladin deck, it draws Bilefin, random Dragon, and Kodo. In a Murloc deck, it's really, really slow, but you do draw three cards.

Plus we haven't seen what all the new cards are yet. I think it's playable if you can pull specific cards with it. 7 mana 4-6 draw 3 isn't that bad, and I'm excited to get something that'll let me pull specific cards.

The Philistine said:
I could see Curator making it's way into druid decks. Azure drakes and Druid of the Claw are both common picks. Not sure about the murloc, but a 4/6 taunt with two card draws isn't bad. About comparable to the prenerf Ancient of Lore.
Druid of the Claw is only a beast after you play it. Most druid beast cards transform, but there are one or two.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Does that mean BRM is rotating out on August 11th? I will miss Emperor Turisomething and Flamewanker. My mage and priest decks will never be the same.
While some of the cards seem really good, they don't feel special. They are just "meh" good cards. Except the portal. It's not like Mage needed more stuff to make arena easier. 3 Flamestrikes and a bunch of other spells was enough.

Schtimpy

Oct 29, 2013
BiH-Kira said:
Does that mean BRM is rotating out on August 11th? I will miss Emperor Turisomething and Flamewanker. My mage and priest decks will never be the same.
I think BRM/TGT is going out with the next expansion. They axed Naxx and GvG at the same time.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
(Massive edit)

I've had a very rocky road with Hearthstone.
I started playing it shortly before the release of Naxxramus, and then played it for probably an hour a day 4-6 days a week through Naxx, through GvG, Through Blackrock Spire, and then Grand Tournament came out and I just found myself stopping playing. I just didn't feel any novelty left in the game, the few moments of brilliance were swamped beneath either a 0-choice curve deck with the rare 'treat' of getting to twiddle my thumbs opposite a solitaire deck, both of which made me ask 'Am I even playing this game? When am I actually making decisions in this game?'
So I stopped, no big huffing or sudden snapping moment of clarity, I just kinda slid from playing Hearthstone to just watching Hearthstone, and then faded off it. Completely ignored League of Explorers.

But then I saw the ads for WotOG
"Hey that's actually a neat theme"
And look at all these high-mana cards with complicated effects
"Well they wouldn't bother making those and casting all the spotlight on them unless they're actually bloody playable would they?"
And then the word came about Standard, and that garbage like Piloted Shredder was going away, and some problem cards would be nerfed
And then looking at Jackson and Elise from LoE and at Twin Emperor and the like from WotOG
"Hey, maybe it will be possible to actually play something other than a low-curve or solitaire deck now!"

Aaaaand I left again after being insanely let down by WotOG (yes I was one of the people stupid enough to believe that centering your expansion around a bunch of 10mana cards meant they'd actually make a set of cards that could make those 10mana cards viable, but NOPE!). But I was holding out a single last hope that maybe WotOG was a bump in the right direction that would herald the way for a better tomorrow, maybe by inches

But then we see Kindly Grandmother and Enchanted Raven. Now sure, will this alone explode the game? Probably not, but this is about what they indicate: these are definitely cards meant for the sole purpose of buffing Curve Hunter and Druid (By giving a basically guaranteed target of houndmaster effect on curve for Hunter, and another card that can soothe Druid's early game inconsistencies)

And from that, we can tell that these brainless curve decks are clearly a thing Blizzard wants to encourage instead of kill. So nope, I'm done, I feel like a moron for putting money in WotOG, and I'm not going to just blindly hope that this somehow is the expansion that makes Hearthstone a game of meaningful interactions

For an explanation of it from someone much more experienced than me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA4ZzoXakrg , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu5D71PBOXc

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
MoltenSilver said:
(Massive edit)

Aaaaand I left again after being insanely let down by WotOG (yes I was one of the people stupid enough to believe that centering your expansion around a bunch of 10mana cards meant they'd actually make a set of cards that could make those 10mana cards viable, but NOPE!). But I was holding out a single last hope that maybe WotOG was a bump in the right direction that would herald the way for a better tomorrow, maybe by inches
Uhhh...what? There's plenty of viable decks that run every old god except Y'shaarj. Yogg Mage/Hunter/Druid, N'zoth Rogue/paladin/Hunter/Priest, C'thun Druid/Warlock/Warrior...and that's just off the top of my head.

The raven is perfectly in line with cards that already exist. In fact, if it didn't have the beast tribal, living roots would almost always be better. The same amount of stats for the same mana cost with the upside of being able to substitute it for 2 damage instead. We've already seen these statlines before outside of LR too. Raven has 4 stats for 1 mana, void walker has 4 stats for one mana. Possessed villager has 4 stats for 1 mana. Fiery bat, 3 stats that potentially does 1 damage, for a total of 4. Mana wyrm, 4 stats and an upside of buffing itself. Selfless Hero, 3 stats and can potentially give a divine shield, which at minimum adds 1 health to a target, for a total of 4. Vilefin Inquisitor, 4 stats and an upside. Tunnel Trogg, Dust Devil, Argent Squire, leper Gnome, Shield bearer. The list just keeps going and I can go even further if i count 3 stats+ an upside if we want to value an effect at 1 stat. This card is by no means broken. It's a vanilla 2/2 for 1. Sure, it's the only one of its kind, but it's not broken by any means of the word.

As for Kindly Grandmother: It's in the same boat as many other 2 drops that already exist. Huge toad and flame juggler potentially fill the same stat line as the grandmother. The obvious goal is to run the grandmother into something to get your 3/2, which is easily comparable to doing 1 damage to that something. In fact, when compared to flame juggler, you're exchanging speed for accuracy, since you're waiting a turn for this card to be able to even do it's 1 damage, and even then, you have to wait ANOTHER turn to do anything with the 3/2. So best case scenario without using coin, you play this one 2, attack with it on 3, then you get to use your 3/2 on 4. That's a whole 2 turns late to the party.

Also, "curve hunter?" Are we berating decks because they do well for playing on curve? Cause that's kind of the main goal of many, many decks in many, many TCGs. Even if we limit our scope to just hearthstone, EVERY deck for the most part would be more than happy to play on curve every single game. So I don't really see how this "Curve Hunter" is some sort of archetype. Control Warrior tries its best to play on curve, freeze mage tries its best to play on curve, renolock tries its best to play on curve.

If you want people to stop playing whats more often than not the most optimal play you can make with your mana base on any given turn, perhaps card games aren't your cup of tea.

Schtimpy

Oct 29, 2013
Kibeth41 said:
And no deck should really be running this particular combination of cards. It's shit. It's really not worth running such a bad deck for the sake of "draw 3 cards". If it were "play 3 cards", then it'd be a different story.
If it were play 3 cards, then you wouldn't get battlecrys. Plus it would be super broken. 7 mana 4-6 taunt, ysera. Who cares what the other two are?

I know it's not a good card, especially in this meta, but it's not a shit card. It fits in a control deck as a good top deck, and it allows for drawing a specific card for combo decks. The mana cost is a little high, but it's the most powerful way to draw from your deck in the game. And the 4-6'ness of it isn't that bad. Gnomish Inventor is a solid card, even saw play in patron, and that's a 4 mana 2-4. +3 mana is ok for +4 stats, taunt and 3 specific cards.The keyword here is specific. Knowing what card you're going to draw is really powerful.

I just have issue with you calling it shit. To me, a shit card can't ever be run, but I could see running this card someday, especially into the future as more cards come out.

...Corrupted Seer and Coldlight Oracle for two decent murlocs.