Get a First Look at the Remastered Rapture in this New Bioshock: The Collection Trailer

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Get a First Look at the Remastered Rapture in this New Bioshock: The Collection Trailer

The first trailer for Bioshock: The Collection takes us back to the underwater city of Rapture.

If you remember Bioshock fondly, you're probably looking forward to the release of Bioshock: The Collection next month. The art-deco world of Rapture was beautiful before, and that beauty has been enhanced in the remaster.

Bioshock: The Collection will include all three games in the series: Bioshock, Bioshock 2, and Bioshock: Infinite, as well as all the single-player DLC for each game. Each will run at 1080p and 60 frames per second on PS4 and Xbox One. If you already own either of the first two games on Steam, you'll get all of these updates for free. The PC version of Bioshock: Infinite is not being remastered, as it's already got all the goodies coming in the remaster.

Bioshock: The Collection is due to release on September 13.

[gallery=6390]

Feb 7, 2016
At least it's free for current owners, because unless they upgraded the engine so the PC port is easier to run, I hardly see the point on PC.

Consoles I understand. 1080p, 60FPS on consoles is pretty sweet.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Silentpony said:
This is going to get all my money. The Bioshock series is easily my favorite series of all time!
Like, metaphorical money? Surely you already have these games and thus all the content the collection is offering?

I registered my retail version of BioShock 2 through Steam because of this. Pretty cool the update is free.

4Aces

May 29, 2012
Excuses to replay the first one again (possibly the second) are always welcome.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I am a bit dissipointed that they did not re-did the graphics for Bioshock 1. Like how Halo 2 got remastered

Especially since the graphics now looks like polished clay/play-doh (a trait that is inherint in all Unreal Engine games for looking like shiny play-doh)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
DeliveryGodNoah said:
At least it's free for current owners, because unless they upgraded the engine so the PC port is easier to run, I hardly see the point on PC.

Consoles I understand. 1080p, 60FPS on consoles is pretty sweet.
But aren't the PC versions suffering from having SecuROM DRM?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
But aren't the PC versions suffering from having SecuROM DRM?
All Steam and digital download versions of Bioshock and Bioshock 2 are free of Securom as of 2013. It evidently caused too many problems for it to stay. By extension (hehe) the remasters are also free of Securom.

Obviously any disc versions floating about will still have it since it was embedded in the install.

Mar 26, 2008
Wintermute said:
I can't tell the difference to be honest. It looks the same.
I must admit I'm with you there. I'm still not sure whether to get it or not. I still have the steel-case version of the original and the other two got progressively underwhelming.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Even though I own the last-gen console versions of all three games I'll get this collection. I'm already imaptiently waiting for the release.

Say what you will about Infinite, but this is one of the very, very few times that I actually believed the emotions of the characters, especially Elisabeth. However warped the story may be, I've seldomly experienced a better fusion of mission goals, beautiful places and atmosphere in these three games. And that's why the remaster is absolutely worthy of my money.

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
Xerosch said:
Even though I own the last-gen console versions of all three games I'll get this collection. I'm already imaptiently waiting for the release.

Say what you will about Infinite, but this is one of the very, very few times that I actually believed the emotions of the characters, especially Elisabeth. However warped the story may be, I've seldomly experienced a better fusion of mission goals, beautiful places and atmosphere in these three games. And that's why the remaster is absolutely worthy of my money.
That's why all of infinites shortcomings really hurt the experience. The quality in the characters were there, but they were wasted in a lackluster story that started off with potential and ended in nonsense. I have nothing against the infinite possibility theory, but how it was executed here was just dissapointing. And I played it freshly after doing a playthrough of 1 and 2, so the gameplay regression was also really jarring. 2, while it did somewhat recycle environments, had fantastic gunplay that worked in Union with the plasmids. I never really felt compelled to use most vigors, and the guns were odd. I also didn't like how the dlc went straight for "let's appeal to the nostalgia for 1" as a way to try and cover their tracks in the lackluster story, while also tainting the original lore. Colombia was beautiful, it needed far more exploration into everything and the dlc should've taken advantage of that instead of begging for money via "more rapture!". At least 2 mixed up the city of rapture to be both new and familiar.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Wintermute said:
I can't tell the difference to be honest. It looks the same.
Yeah, same. It doesn't look that much better.

Still, lovely trailer. The voice-over gave me chills.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Well. That... sure did look exactly the same. This had better not just be literally the exact same EXEs with higher-res textures and nothing else, because the PC ports of the first two games were atrocious. At the very least, I'm expecting a port to the Infinite engine with the weapon/plasmid wheels available to keyboard-and-mouse players, because trying to "scroll" through the plasmid menu with Q and Z was just the worst. And I'd really like to see them incorporate dual wielding into the first game, because Burial at Sea managed it just fine.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
McElroy said:
Like, metaphorical money? Surely you already have these games and thus all the content the collection is offering?

I registered my retail version of BioShock 2 through Steam because of this. Pretty cool the update is free.
I have a retail CD key for the first one but it won't let me register it for some reason. >_>

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Post Tenebrae Morte said:
Xerosch said:

That's why all of infinites shortcomings really hurt the experience. The quality in the characters were there, but they were wasted in a lackluster story that started off with potential and ended in nonsense. I have nothing against the infinite possibility theory, but how it was executed here was just dissapointing. And I played it freshly after doing a playthrough of 1 and 2, so the gameplay regression was also really jarring. 2, while it did somewhat recycle environments, had fantastic gunplay that worked in Union with the plasmids. I never really felt compelled to use most vigors, and the guns were odd. I also didn't like how the dlc went straight for "let's appeal to the nostalgia for 1" as a way to try and cover their tracks in the lackluster story, while also tainting the original lore. Colombia was beautiful, it needed far more exploration into everything and the dlc should've taken advantage of that instead of begging for money via "more rapture!". At least 2 mixed up the city of rapture to be both new and familiar.
Actually, I can see what you didn't like (and Infinite is far from being perfect), but these were all things that didn't bother me. I used plenty of Vigors and liked the combinations of them very much. Also, while the story is completely bonkers, I found it to be told in a compelling way with the two story DLCs being a very nice, bittersweet end to the series. Is the DLC a nostalgia fest? Sure, but at least it tries to do something with its lore instead of just being there like so many other packs.

Again, this is purely my opinion. If you enjoy 1 and 2 more, that's perfectly fine. I myself have played through the first Bioshock about three times, 2 and Infinite only once. Maybe my opinion changes after playing through the collection, but at the moment I'm very excited for the release.