Second Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Trailer Teases Darth Vader Himself

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Second Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Trailer Teases Darth Vader Himself

The second Rogue One: A Star Wars Story trailer will get fans excited with its dark tone and the appearance of Darth Vader.

There have been rumors that Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was undergoing reshoots to lighten its tone. This was supposedly to bring it more in line the Star Wars: The Force Awakens. If you've been worried that this was happening, you'll be reassured by the newest trailer. Its tone seems exactly in line with what was shown before.

Shown during the Olympics last night, the new trailer features plenty of shots of the scrappy rebels taking on the big bad Empire, and emphasizes that theme throughout. The Rebels are fighting a battle for survival, and the band of heroes shown in this trailer must acquire the plans for the Death Star in order for the Rebellion to have a chance at destroying it.

I still haven't seen Kyle Katarn, but my experience playing Star Wars: Dark Forces tells me that he has to be on that team somewhere.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will hit theaters December 16.

[gallery=6402]

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Eh no matter how hard they try this will never be as good as the old Extended Universe of Star Wars, especially the Original Trilogy Era. I miss this so much:

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This looks more like the new movie I wanted. Feels sufficiently epic. The time period they using in this... it's just better in my opinion. That isn't to say I didn't like TFA, I did, but this just feels... right I think. I'm very much looking forward to this.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
I really hope we get to see Jar Jar as a young Gungan growing up on Naboo with his good friend Palpatine. That guy had style and was super chill about getting bumped by Count Dooku. Maybe they'll show some of his Sith training.

I have never been a big Star Wars fan. This movie looks really good. I'm in.

EDIT: Okay, Jadak called me out that my timeline is wrong. Jar Jar wouldn't be a kid at this point if Anakin is grown up and a Death Star is present.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's looking really good!

I just hope they don't go and ruin it with the reshoots/injected humor. I feel this might actually benefit from being a slightly dour war movie. And as soon as I hear that executives are futzing around with the tone of a movie my hope starts to sink to the bottom.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Not a patch on the first teaser, but still kinda good.

My only nagging issue is that Felicity Jones just--- well, doesn't seem to have charisma or much of a screen presence. Frankly Jyn seems a bit boring. Hopefully that's just down to the admirably bare bones promos, and isn't representative of her actual character.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
and look at the dislikes at this stage: 2182

has a female lead. yes, we are all sexists for disliking ghostbusters.

ok, to the trailer it self.
looks really impressive that seems to have a good amount of action and humor so as story telling. i think this movie is going to do well.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Admit it. You're all only going so you can see Vader.

Seriously, though. A Star Wars film showing Vader in his prime, with modern-day special effects?

This is what I wanna see. [https://comicnewbies.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/han-solo-attacks-darth-vader-with-an-at-at-1.jpg]

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
So which one of them do you think is going to turn out to be a Jedi in hiding since Order 66 who will give their lives facing off against Vader so the others can escape?

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
So which one of them do you think is going to turn out to be a Jedi in hiding since Order 66 who will give their lives facing off against Vader so the others can escape?
Wouldn't that be the blind martial artist who says that everything is done by the will of the Force?

I'm hoping the team gets to the location to steal the Death Star plans and finds the plans gone and a note that says, "Beat you here. Love, Kyle." :D

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
COMaestro said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Wouldn't that be the blind martial artist who says that everything is done by the will of the Force?
One of the crew--either an actor or a writer, can't remember--kind of already spoiled that at Star Wars celebration. I won't spoil it here, but the answer is sort of already out there.

They better not show ANY more of Darth Vader. I didn't even want to see the back of his helmet. I mean, we all knew he was going to be in this movie. He has to be, since A New Hope picks up with him chasing down the plans. But his reveal in the movie should come as a moment of wonder, glee, and fear. It's not something that should be spoiled by the trailer.

So excited to see ground combat again. The Force Awakens was lacking in that. And when I say ground combat, I mean no-name Rebels that can die just as easily as Stormtroopers, not Han, Chewie, and Finn blasting their way through impossible odds. That stuff is cool, but the tension kind of goes away. I want more scenes like the opening of A New Hope.

Liked the part with the rocket launcher, because I was kind of expecting it to blow apart the head of at AT-AT, because explosion! Glad to see it was more of just a weak slap in the face.

While I was never a huge fan of Kyle like so many others, I do think it would be a nice nod if one of the extra team members was named Kyle. I mean, they're bringing Thrawn into this universe, so they can probably get away with a bit more.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Gizmo1990 said:
I will actually feel cheated if there isn't such a scene. It feels so... like... why wouldn't they do that???

It's got to be Donnie Yen, because again... they've cast him, why wouldn't they do that??

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Pyrian said:
Is that Jedi Ip Man? ...Yup, Donnie Yen. Sweet.

Sixcess said:
I will actually feel cheated if there isn't such a scene. It feels so... like... why wouldn't they do that???

It's got to be Donnie Yen, because again... they've cast him, why wouldn't they do that??
Officially, Donnie Yen's character is not a Jedi, [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_One#Cast] though your guess is as good as mine as to how he beats stormtroopers up while blind.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
bastardofmelbourne said:
Officially, Donnie Yen's character is not a Jedi, [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_One#Cast] though your guess is as good as mine as to how he beats stormtroopers up while blind.
Does force sensitivity count as a force power? He might simply be sensing through the force while being incapable of doing force push and stuff like that.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
For me I don't like use of the modern trailer noise "BWAAAAAA"

The grimdark dialogue comes off a taking the star wars universe a little TOO seriously

And there's a big cast of characters with fewer aliens than the movie Contact.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Nurb said:

The grimdark dialogue comes off a taking the star wars universe a little TOO seriously

Implying they never took it seriously...

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Nurb said:

Implying they never took it seriously...
I did include the adverb "TOO seriously".