Final Fantasy XV Officially Delayed to November 29

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Final Fantasy XV Officially Delayed to November 29

The Final Fantasy XV that was rumored over the weekend is real.

If you've been chomping at the bit to get your hands on Final Fantasy XV, your wait just got a couple of months longer. There have been rumblings throughout the weekend that a delay was coming, specifically a leaked photo posted to Gamnesia [http://www.gamnesia.com/news/report-final-fantasy-xv-has-been-delayed-to-november-29th] of instructions sent to GameStop employees to change the date on in-store promotional materials.

This morning, a YouTube video was posted to the official Final Fantasy 15 channel featuring game director Hajime Tabata. In that video, Tabata confirms the delay (The video is in Japanese, but is annotated with an English translation) In it, he says that the team has "completed the master version, but when it comes to that highest possible quality, we felt that we had not quite reached this standard yet."

He then goes on to explain that they want to the experience to be of the best quality for all players, which means including the day one patch on the disc for all purchasers.

Finally, Tabata confirms the delay, saying in part,

"We held a presentation in March and announced that Final Fantasy XV would have a simultaneous worldwide release on the 30th of September. I am very sorry, but I must ask for just a little more time to polish our game up some more.

We are changing the release date of Final Fantasy XV to the 29th of November 2016."

While two months isn't horrifically long delay, it's worth noting that it will push the game's release past Black Friday (which is November 25 this year), typically one of the dates that games try to hit in an effort to garner stronger physical sales as part of the rush of holiday shopping beginning. Whether or not that has any effect on the game's sales remains to be seen.

[gallery=6405]

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
When it comes to game delays, I don;t mind. I'd rather have an actual, polished, non-buggy game than something that got shat out then receives patches post release just so the company could hit black friday. If it comes out before christmas it'll still sell well.

AXimilao_Elotus

Aug 13, 2016
Must...endure...a bit...longer...

This is my most anticipated title that I've been waiting (literally) forever for, so what's a few extra months? It's not like I'm already dying inside...

I was a little late on jumping into the demo (I just got a PS4 finally a few months ago) so I guess with this down time I can master it some more before the grand day comes.

I seriously cannot wait for this adventure.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I've waited twelve years, what's another two months?

Square has actually been impressively open about this game, once it started being Final Fantasy XV. If they need to take some extra time to polish it up, so be it.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Hey, a two month delay is better than the years of nothing to show, platform changes, and countless wasted man-hours of duplicated work the game suffered under Tetsuya Nomura's direction before Tabata took over this project. Actually... it seems like everything Nomura touches takes forever. I don't know why they keep that guy around; he's a complete money sink.

P.S. Thanks

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Eclipse Dragon said:
I've waited twelve years, what's another two months?
Fuck, beat me to it. Whatever. After playing the demo I'm basically sold. I'm cautiously optimistic about this title. It's Square's last chance to convince me that they haven't lost their touch. Also, it'll make the wait for Persona 5 more bearable. The PS3 had a famine of JRPG's, and now it feels like we're being spoiled.

On a side not that's the weirdest collection of random images I've ever seen. This game feels ambitious. I just hope they didn't bite off more then they could chew.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
This is, what, the fourth or fifth time in the past few months that I've had to ask, can we please just stop announcing release dates for games so long before they're actually ready to go? Nowadays it's more surprising when a game doesn't get delayed.

also pls port to pc.

Covarr said:
Actually... it seems like everything Nomura touches takes forever. I don't know why they keep that guy around; he's a complete money sink.
YMMV, but for my money Tetsuya Nomura is the only director currently at Square Enix that I actually trust to be capable of making a decent game.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
shrekfan246 said:
Covarr said:
Actually... it seems like everything Nomura touches takes forever. I don't know why they keep that guy around; he's a complete money sink.
YMMV, but for my money Tetsuya Nomura is the only director currently at Square Enix that I actually trust to be capable of making a decent game.
I like Nomura well enough, but I can't keep myself from thinking he's more of an art director (and his style is okay though his thing with belts, zippers and black leather is on par with JJ Abrams and lens flare at this point). Tabata has a lot of potential, I hope that he goes far.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
shrekfan246 said:
This is, what, the fourth or fifth time in the past few months that I've had to ask, can we please just stop announcing release dates for games so long before they're actually ready to go? Nowadays it's more surprising when a game doesn't get delayed.
Yeah, they really shouldn't even be announcing games exist until at most 6 months before they are going to be released, long enough to generate hype for a game but near enough that it's both all but certain a game will be released and an accurate release date can be given barring anything sudden and catastrophic throwing the release date off.

also pls port to pc.
Seconded, I won't be getting it until it does, which last I heard they seem to be considering.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
So, after the game comes out (assuming it does come out in November), how long do you doods think it'll take for a potential PC version to come out?, maybe 5 years give or take?

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
Covarr said:
Hey, a two month delay is better than the years of nothing to show, platform changes, and countless wasted man-hours of duplicated work the game suffered under Tetsuya Nomura's direction before Tabata took over this project. Actually... it seems like everything Nomura touches takes forever. I don't know why they keep that guy around; he's a complete money sink.
The same reason why Sony was quick to pick up Kojima when he finally escaped from Konami: It's because their name sells. However, the simplest way to solve this is to have someone from on high come down and simply say to the team, "We've wasted enough time and money on this. Give us a valid reason to continue funding this endeavor by the end of the month, and a reasonable date to complete it, or we're shelving the project." Though, I do think some people would have a hissy fit over the companies "limiting the creators" and not allowing the dev team to achieve their "true vision".

But, for me, I'm just tired of hearing numerous companies delaying games so that they can "give the player the proper experience" instead of just shutting up, completing the damn thing, and moving on to the next project. In general, I'm just burned out on all hype for everything. It's like how I was very quick to become cynical of PSVR the other day after trying the demo, meanwhile forgetting how much fun I actually had while playing it (Though, admittedly, that's more of an excuse than anything else).

Oh well, time to talk about something positive.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I'm so fatigued with this game to the point where I'm barely interested anymore. I have next to no enthusiasm what so ever. I really want to know what the hell happened to this games development. Like I really want to read a tell all book. This game better be fucking fantastic, but also I'm finally ok to let go of the franchise.