The Battlefield 1 Open Beta Starts on August 31, New Trailer

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Battlefield 1 Open Beta Starts on August 31, New Trailer

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1343/1343064.jpgEA and DICE have confirmed the official dates for the Battlefield 1 Open Beta, and it's just a couple of weeks away.

If you've got your sights set on the Battlefield 1 beta, your wait is almost over. EA and DICE announced in a blog post [https://www.battlefield.com/news/article/battlefield-1-beta-dates] today that the open beta will begin on August 31 on PC, PS4, and Xbox One. Battlefield Insiders will get early access to the beta. No one has said how long that early access will be, but rumor has it that it will be three days.

If you want to get in on the early access, you need to be signed up as a Battlefield Insider before August 21. You should also make your platform selection as soon as you sign up, or else you'll miss out on a code.

The beta will include Conquest and Rush modes on the Sinai Desert map, which the official post describes as, "A scorching hot battlefield located just East of El-Jifar. From infantry skirmishes in the narrow streets of the village of Bir el Mazar to dogfights above the majestic cliffs, you'll need to make tactical use of the dunes as you engage in explosive battles. When all hope is lost, reinforcements will arrive in the shape of a powerful Behemoth: a deadly Armored Train charging through the desert sands." There's a much better look in the new Gamescom trailer:

If you want in, all you need to do is head over the Battlefield Insider [https://www.battlefield.com/community/insider] site, sign up, and select your platform preference. You've got until Sunday to get it done.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Done, thanks for posting it. I feel like EA missed out by not having "Take me out" by Franz Ferdinand as the main song for the game.

hamsterkilla

Battlefield veteran
Aug 11, 2009
I'm really impressed with the movement of the horses. I was thinking it might look weird, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Can't wait to try out the beta. Here's hoping the hype will be large enough that tons of people will play, and DICE/EA can adequately test their servers.

Although BF4 is my favorite shooter now, it was unplayable the first couple months.

CCLegion

Apr 23, 2013
hamsterkilla said:
I'm really impressed with the movement of the horses. I was thinking it might look weird, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Can't wait to try out the beta. Here's hoping the hype will be large enough that tons of people will play, and DICE/EA can adequately test their servers.

Although BF4 is my favorite shooter now, it was unplayable the first couple months.
Were you in the alpha? If not, you can look forward to a couple more very nice improvements. If so, you probably already saw what I was talking about. Might've picked it up elsewhere too but eh, still nice stuff.
Here's just hoping that they finally made tanks useful. They were everything but a threat so far. In general, the vehicles were at best a shadow of their BF4 selves.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I'm actually following this one. I love the time period and I'd love to see EA be more experimental with their time periods and allowing studios to have more free reign.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I know it looks awesome, but having personally played the game; it's fun for the first couple hours, but then the flaws of being a WWI game start to really show and you start to get this nagging sense of "Yeah, this is alright. But it be better if this was just a WWII game instead." that hangs over the whole game.

It's not a BAD game, but it doesn't look like it's going to be the huge hit with massive staying power EA and everyone else is hyping it up to be - the WWI setting is just not very fun for gameplay; hence why developers have pretty much ignored it forever and stuck to WWII.

There is a reason why too; in terms of what gameplay and action it provides, WWI is basically just a shitty, inferior version of WWII.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
There is a reason why too; in terms of what gameplay and action it provides, WWI is basically just a shitty, inferior version of WWII.
Y'see I feel like that's not the fault of the setting but of DICE. If I'm not mistaken, automatic weapons are pretty much the main weapons for most classes. Vehicles also got speed and handling boosts. It seems that DICE chickened out and didn't want to commit to the WW1 setting.

When it was first announced I was hoping for a slower Battlefield, finally one without the auto-gun spam and vehicles flying all over the place with zero coordination. Not in a simulation way, god knows I don't want that as I'm not that hardcore, but at least with the spirit and feeling of WW1. An actually new, fresh gameplay feel.

But that's not what they dared to do. So the setting got blended to, as you say, basically become a shitty version of WW2. DICE is playing it safe and that ruined my excitement for this title.