Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Starts This Weekend

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Starts This Weekend

The two-weekend long technical test for Titanfall 2 kicks off this weekend, unless you're on PC.

Yesterday we found out that the Titanfall 2 technical test wouldn't be coming to PC [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168172-The-Upcoming-Titanfall-2-Tech-Test-Will-Not-Be-Available-on-PC], but we still didn't know when it would start. Today at Gamescom, Respawn revealed the dates, and the wait is almost over.

The Titanfall 2 technical test will span two weekends. The first begins this Friday, August 19 and runs through Sunday, August 21. The second weekend is August 26-28. There's a new trailer celebrating the upcoming test.

If you're interested in taking part, you can get all the info on the tech test, as well as instructions for how to download on your console of choice, on the game's official site [http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/tech-test/]. If you're on PC, you'll just have to wait until the game launches on October 28.

[gallery=6410]

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
So this is just a server stress test, or are they just outsourcing testing in general, because they don't want to pay for a few consoles to test the fixed system specs, internally?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Solkard said:
So this is just a server stress test, or are they just outsourcing testing in general, because they don't want to pay for a few consoles to test the fixed system specs, internally?
It sounds more like a beta test to me, in the real sense of the word as opposed to the 'not demo' that betas have been used as in the recent past.

Since they're expecting a couple of million players the amount of data it's going to generate is beyond the budget of internal testing. Even of Activision can't afford that many consoles for one game.

The dange of course is such early tests damage the sales prospects of the game. Titanfall 2's going to need to be pretty special to make people forget how expensive a let down Titanfall was.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
While I plan to get the game on PC (the first game's PC build was the better version), I'm glad I have a PS4. I'll have a chance to try out the tech test.

Though...it does mean I'll have to get PS+. Maybe I can find one of those 'free month' codes somewhere.

fix-the-spade said:
The dange of course is such early tests damage the sales prospects of the game. Titanfall 2's going to need to be pretty special to make people forget how expensive a let down Titanfall was.
People have been saying this since the first game came out, yet it sold over 10 million copies and had active player communities for far longer than most multiplayer-only games do. Despite what a lot of vocal naysayers on the 'net might say, it seems the first game already impressed. Here's hoping the sequel lives up to its predecessor.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Vigormortis said:
People have been saying this since the first game came out, yet it sold over 10 million copies and had active player communities for far longer than most multiplayer-only games do. Despite what a lot of vocal naysayers on the 'net might say, it seems the first game already impressed. Here's hoping the sequel lives up to its predecessor.
Titanfall did not sell 10 million copies, in fact EA has never published any official sales figures beyond that it sold 925'000 in the United States in it's first month after launch.

The 10 million figure came from an IGN article, which IGN apparently took from a tweet from Respawn about ten million unique players, possibly, nobody is really sure, that figure might have come from the beta. Best guesses put Titanfall between 2.5 and 4.5 million units sold, but that includes the free give away week it had on Origin.

As for it's lifespan, it died a rapid death. Not Evolve rapid, but within five months it had fallen well under 1000 concurrent players at peak for PC, now it's low hundreds. Xbone did a better on account of lack of competition, but it's died now there's Call of Duties and Halos to play with.

Titanfall was a minor commercial success, but EA wants a franchise, so Titanfall 2 will have to do better than that and hold people's attention longer.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
fix-the-spade said:
The 10 million figure came from an IGN article, which IGN apparently took from a tweet from Respawn about ten million unique players, possibly, nobody is really sure, that figure might have come from the beta. Best guesses put Titanfall between 2.5 and 4.5 million units sold, but that includes the free give away week it had on Origin.
So no one's really sure, but you're sure it was between 2.5 and 4.5?

Okay.

Did you notice the date of the tweet? It came over a year after the first game released.

Seems odd for them to celebrate 10 million players in the beta almost 2 years after the fact...

Having looked into it again it seems that, based on a recent comment from an EA exec, the game sold at least 7 million within its first year.

As for it's lifespan, it died a rapid death. Not Evolve rapid, but within five months it had fallen well under 1000 concurrent players at peak for PC, now it's low hundreds.
I recall seeing more when I was playing within that time frame. I don't have hard numbers though, but I do remember seeing much more. Do you have a link?

Xbone did a better on account of lack of competition, but it's died now there's Call of Duties and Halos to play with.
New games from popular series pull players away from games released months/years prior. Not that shocking, really.