Battleborn is Adding a Demolition Bird as its Third DLC Hero Next Week

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Battleborn is Adding a Demolition Bird as its Third DLC Hero Next Week

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1344/1344108.jpgThe newest DLC hero is coming to Battleborn next week, and it's a demobird armed with a grenade launcher.

If you're one of the folks who is still playing Battleborn, you're about to have another hero to add to your arsenal. Gearbox has announced that the newest hero is Ernest - a bird with a knack for demolition.

Ernest is a member of the Peacekeeper faction who focuses on defensive play. Armed with a grenade launcher, he utilizes a variety of munitions to fill both offensive and defensive roles. Gearbox describes him thusly:

"This demobird is explosive on the battlefield. Some might call him a well-aged boy scout, but Ernest's sense of honor and duty brings a new means of support and defense previously absent from the Peacekeepers - this is no small part thanks to his grenade launcher. The various explosive charges help Ernest lean on the offensive or provide a mean line of defense for his team."

Ernest will be available to Season Pass holders on Thursday, August 25 at 12 PM ET to Season Pass holders, and to the general public one week later on September 1 at 12 PM ET.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
RJ 17 said:
No...seriously...is anyone still playing this game?
The numbers aren't good, but I'm glad 2K isn't quitting on it. It's a great game - especially the co-op parts - and it's still lots of fun.

I won't talk about my hours played in it if you won't.

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
Great! I'll definitely try to play him when the game inevitably goes free to play.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
ffronw said:
The numbers aren't good, but I'm glad 2K isn't quitting on it.
Well they just released the newest hero a few weeks back (and he needs balancing, just like the majority of the heroes anyway), this seems pretty soon and feels like they are pushing things out of desperation. Given how awesome the Borderlands DLCs were, my last (very slim) hope lies in the new campaign missions.

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
I liked the last add, hes great for Solo play. I will play the hell out of this doom chicken as well.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Another note to make about Ernest is at least according to Twitter, he's going to be voiced by none other than Scott Frerichs (aka KaiserNeko) of Team Four Star.

Source: [link]https://twitter.com/KaiserNeko/status/766565866800504834[/link]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
ffronw said:
RJ 17 said:
The numbers aren't good, but I'm glad 2K isn't quitting on it. It's a great game - especially the co-op parts - and it's still lots of fun
No need to justify yourself to me, fam. Don't have shame in the games that you enjoy playing. I was simply remarking on the fact that - from what I've been hearing - the servers are a barren wasteland.

I won't talk about my hours played in it if you won't.
I won't talk about it because I can't: I've never played the game (it was buy that or buy Overwatch, couldn't afford both, so I went with the safe bet). All the more reason I can't and don't judge anyone who does enjoy the game.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
RJ 17 said:
No need to justify yourself to me, fam. Don't have shame in the games that you enjoy playing. I was simply remarking on the fact that - from what I've been hearing - the servers are a barren wasteland.
You've heard right - the servers are in fact a wasteland. You can still find games, but honestly the best way to ply it right now is as a co-op game with friends. Honestly, that's where it's best anyway.

RJ 17 said:
I won't talk about it because I can't: I've never played the game (it was buy that or buy Overwatch, couldn't afford both, so I went with the safe bet). All the more reason I can't and don't judge anyone who does enjoy the game.
I don't think that you were alone in making that choice, either. If 2K ever reads this, they should definitely take note that the marketing and timing did more damage to Battleborn than the game itself. The game is pretty darn fun, but when you see that Blizzard is releasing a similar (although actually quite different) game in the same time frame, either move your release, or focus on how different your game is. Don't try to go head to head with them. It won't end well.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
RJ 17 said:
Steamspy estimates peak concurrent players of about a thousand and falling. Total daily playerbase is squatting around 200,000.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
09philj said:
RJ 17 said:
Steamspy estimates peak concurrent players of about a thousand and falling. Total daily playerbase is squatting around 200,000.
This makes me sad. Gearbox is here in my home state and I'd like to see them do better. Heck, I'd like to see my kid finish his CG and Animation degree and go work for them. But, they haven't exactly had a bumper crop of overwhelming hits of late. Borderlands 2 remains my most-played video game of all times. So I want them to stay in business long enough to finish Borderlands 3. (Do not speak of the Pre-Sequel.)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
gonna be real, dadbird's arms are somehow more unsettling as realistic bird limbs

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
RJ 17 said:
I got a friend who still plays it regularly (he's playing it right now) and at one point before the game went on sale for $15, he said that he and the dozen or so other guys on the same Teamspeak server were literally the only people playing in Oceania. Like, they could queue separately and all end up in a game together. That's how bad it got.

He said more people started coming in after it went on sale, which is fair, but to be honest, I never actually had fun playing Battleborn. The writing was kinda funny and some of the heroes were interesting, but when it boiled down to it, there were two goddamn maps and four-fifths of the characters were locked from the get-go. It was a game that handed you a pittance at the start and then asked you to grind until you unlocked a character you might actually enjoy.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So Red renamed himself as Earnest and helped himself to extra firepower? Because that looks like one angry bird.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I thought about buying this game while it was on sale but we all know this will eventually go Free to play.

Good to know there's still support for it.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Clankenbeard said:
09philj said:
RJ 17 said:
This makes me sad. Gearbox is here in my home state and I'd like to see them do better. Heck, I'd like to see my kid finish his CG and Animation degree and go work for them. But, they haven't exactly had a bumper crop of overwhelming hits of late. Borderlands 2 remains my most-played video game of all times. So I want them to stay in business long enough to finish Borderlands 3. (Do not speak of the Pre-Sequel.)
Blizzard is in my home-state (same city to be more specific) which obviously makes me far superior human being than you.
#useless-trash-talk

I'm not sure if it's an overwhelming hits but I really enjoyed Tales of the Borderlands. Best Borderlands entry in my opinion.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
mysecondlife said:
I'm not sure if it's an overwhelming hits but I really enjoyed Tales of the Borderlands. Best Borderlands entry in my opinion.
Tales of the Borderlands was developed by Telltale Games, not Gearbox.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ffronw said:
I don't think that you were alone in making that choice, either. If 2K ever reads this, they should definitely take note that the marketing and timing did more damage to Battleborn than the game itself. The game is pretty darn fun, but when you see that Blizzard is releasing a similar (although actually quite different) game in the same time frame, either move your release, or focus on how different your game is. Don't try to go head to head with them. It won't end well.
Sad part is that Battleborn's release date was pushed back from February 9th. Had they been able to release the game then, maybe it would have more of a player base to keep it alive.