Japan's Prime Minister Appears as Mario in Rio 2016 Closing Ceremony

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Japan's Prime Minister Appears as Mario in Rio 2016 Closing Ceremony

The 2020 Olympic Games will be held in Tokyo, and it looks like they already have a fitting mascot...

The Rio 2016 Olympic Games are over, and at the very end of the closing ceremony, the host country for the 2020 games was introduced: Japan. In a nod to one of the nation's most beloved cultural ambassadors, Mario himself helped out. In a CGI video, Mario jumps into a warp pipe in Tokyo. Then, at a corresponding pipe in Rio, he jumps back out. Only it's actually Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe dressed up as Mario.

Mario was joined by Pac-Man and famous anime figures as well in the short ceremony that followed. You can check the video out to the right. Here's a mirror [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCKpTwgkpQU] if NBC is blocked in your country.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Of course. I mean, why not?

Why would they create a new mascot when they already have a character that is widely recognized worldwide, beloved and has an established connection with sports, as in: a fuckton of sportgames, including some that are about the Olympics.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
What could sum up these Olympics any better than a plumber who takes substances that make him grow enormous emerging from a green pipe?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
We need a mascot Olympics. Badly. All over us. Like amorous oily gaming rags. Princess High-Jump, Mario Bros Tri-jump, 1000 metre sprint in colourful, dangeroulsy sweaty suits. Yeah, my mind is liking what disturbed imagery it is imagining...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Oh please, this is hardly new. Mario and Sonic have been appearing at the olympics on a regular basis. ;p

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
We need a mascot Olympics. Badly. All over us. Like amorous oily gaming rags. Princess High-Jump, Mario Bros Tri-jump, 1000 metre sprint in colourful, dangeroulsy sweaty suits. Yeah, my mind is liking what disturbed imagery it is imagining...
100 Metre Minefield Dash?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Nintendo missed a trick not unveiling the NX during the ceremony:p

Awesome nod to videogames and kudos for Japan's prime minister for getting in on the fun.

So... karting confirmed as an Olympic event anyone?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
You see, most world politicians would try to avoid doing things like this and bring up the whole "ruin my world image", bullshit notion. Bravo and brilliant gesture by the PM of Japan. He does it for his country and loves it. He doesnt look stupid, he just connected more with the people.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
The video isn't available and the mirror was taken down.
What the fuck is the point of locking a video that's about a fucking international event?
Look at this shit. Look who the idiots who blocked the video are. INTERNATIONAL Olympic Comitee. Do they know what international means? Apparently it doesn't mean international.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
At least this is happening NOT in a 3rd world country, but a more stable location. Expect to see the event locations actually cleaned up and built to code well before the event starts. Expect to see security properly taken care of and crime to be down to almost non-existent. Expect to see the Japanese people greeting international guests with kindness and respect (unlike Rio, where they were given banners at the airport about 'unpaid cops/firefighters', mugged in the streets, and mocked on the beaches).

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Smilomaniac said:
I had an honest moment when I saw the video earlier and got a bit emotional.
When I saw "Mario" get out of the pipe, it dawned on me that video games are now accepted world wide and that iconic characters have become a mainstream acceptance. Not saying it wasn't true earlier, just that this was a wake-up moment for me.

It's okay though, I've had twenty or so cynical moments since then, so I'm back on track.
And here I am thinking that I'm anything but cynical, yet I went more like "Oh dear, Tokio 2020 is going to be a big 'Buy all our shit!' fest isn't it?"

But at least the Japanese prime-minister likes to get a little silly.
Deathfish15 said:
At least this is happening NOT in a 3rd world country, but a more stable location. Expect to see the event locations actually cleaned up and built to code well before the event starts. Expect to see security properly taken care of and crime to be down to almost non-existent. Expect to see the Japanese people greeting international guests with kindness and respect (unlike Rio, where they were given banners at the airport about 'unpaid cops/firefighters', mugged in the streets, and mocked on the beaches).
And, y'know, less human rights abuses. That'd be pretty nice.

Also, Brazil isn't a Third World country.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Apparently Hello Kitty and Pac-Man were seen, just not in that clip. Who WAS featured in that clip was fucking Doraemon, and I'm sad no one else noticed. It's Japan's greatest video game icon(and export) going to Rio to announce the Olympics with their greatest animation icon preparing the homefront.

Makes heartwarming sense, doesn't it?

BiH-Kira said:
The video isn't available and the mirror was taken down.
What the fuck is the point of locking a video that's about a fucking international event?
Look at this shit. Look who the idiots who blocked the video are. INTERNATIONAL Olympic Comitee. Do they know what international means? Apparently it doesn't mean international.

I bring gifts. Fuck da policia.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
is it me.... or did the part with all of the athletes lined up seem like it came from an intro of of a video game....
the part around 0:57... I can't put my finger on it... but, I've seen it somewhere...

and here's a video that works....

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
That was so cool. Man I can't wait to see the japanese opening ceremony. If they're already showing off Mario, you bet the actual ceremony will have a ton of videogame and anime related stuff. The brits had a giant voldemort and people on broomsticks flying around. If Japan doesn't have a couple of life-size titans or a pokemon stadium I will be disappointed...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok I got round to watching it (OP video doesn't show up in the UK) and it was awesome!

Yeah, every game and anime out there will market the hell out of the Japan Olympic!