Yes, Another Sequel to The Ring is Still Happening

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Yes, Another Sequel to The Ring is Still Happening

<youtube=uukQ_6szDm8>

The first trailer for Rings is now online.

After numerous delays, we've finally got a look at what the third American Ring movie is going to look like. Shock of all shocks: it looks pretty much just like the first two, but updated for a time when people no longer use VHS tapes on a regular basis.

The Ring franchise began in Japan in 1998 with The Ring Two [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_(film)] showed diminishing returns, despite still making a profit. There have been talks of a third film for years. It was originally called The Ring 3D, but that's since been changed to Rings. It was also originally supposed to be released in November of last year, then April of this year, and finally this coming October.

In case you're unaware, the hook of the series is that characters watch a video, receive a phone call that claims they'll die in seven days, and then they try to figure out how to not do that. The video was originally on a VHS tape, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense for 2016, so now it's a viral video sent around via email. The villain, Samara, torments those who watched the video for those seven days before killing them - the trailer for the new film showcases how, although almost all of the ways are things we've seen before. Let's hope the full film will provide new ideas and more scares.

[gallery=6430]

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'd ask why but this is Hollywood we're talking about here. Horror flicks + sequels = fast cash from morons with no sense of quality. Sometimes, yes, they manage to squeak out a decent horror film in the sequelitis phase of milking but generally speaking horror sequels are always shitfest cashgrabs by jaded Hollywood execs with an IP they need to exploit or lose rights to.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hollywood needs to leave that poor little pale-skinned, black-haired child alone for once. She is not bloody scary and its not a good stereotype to reinforce. This is like harrassment in film form and It's the factory setting horror trope now.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Good to know she had transfer to the digital age which I can guess kinda work (think about those fools who dare watched those gross out video out there in the dark side of the internet?). Still yeah, I loathe the US remake and this doesn't look any better.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
now she uses youtube! Like and subscribe and here are links to my Patreon, you can also follow her on facebook and tweeter and live streams on twitch every Friday and Saturday!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
WHY is it a thing? It wasn't a thing the last time because it's terrible!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Mostly what I remember about "The Ring" was actively hoping for the protagonists' demise, as they were (excepting perhaps the child) a bunch of idiots.

As a result, the "You weren't supposed to HELP her!" twist actually caused me to laugh aloud.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Wait, wait... there was an American sequel to the first movie? o_O Must have been fantastic seeing as I never heard of it, despite The Ring being one of my fave flicks.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
GZGoten said:
now she uses youtube! Like and subscribe and here are links to my Patreon, you can also follow her on facebook and tweeter and live streams on twitch every Friday and Saturday!
You should see her tweets; all in caps. Also, her instagram is just a bunch of photos taken from the bottom of a well. Dull.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Aw, they should've left the VHS. That way the heroes would need to go spelunking in a ruined electronics store to find the player, only to discover that the tape is actually a Betamax...

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Major_Tom said:
Aw, they should've left the VHS. That way the heroes would need to go spelunking in a ruined electronics store to find the player, only to discover that the tape is actually a Betamax...
I understood that reference.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
Well, compared to the original, this looks like absolute garbage. There's almost no attempt at subtlety or suspense from the looks of it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
BOOOOOOOOOO! Seriously dude, how about some frickin' spoiler warnings?! Now we all know who wins at the end of The Ring vs The Grudge [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcYDSkZKD4w] since, apparently, Samara's still going around killing people!

As the site's movie critic you should know better than to drop something like this on us. :mad:

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Heh didn't know was a 2nd film, will have to look into that.

Well color me curious, the ring series always appealed to me due to my phobia of long haired brunette girls with contortionist skills making frog noises, if they throw in social media too, now that is truly terrifying to me.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
RJ 17 said:
BOOOOOOOOOO! Seriously dude, how about some frickin' spoiler warnings?! Now we all know who wins at the end of The Ring vs The Grudge [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcYDSkZKD4w] since, apparently, Samara's still going around killing people!

As the site's movie critic you should know better than to drop something like this on us. :mad:
This could be set before that. We don't know! Or the vs. film might end in a tie or a friendship!

(But in all seriousness, different continuities.)

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Marter said:
RJ 17 said:

This could be set before that. We don't know! Or the vs. film might end in a tie or a friendship!

According to the internets it ends with the playoffs.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Major_Tom said:
09philj said:
I understood that reference.

But then, a VHS player appears in the mail...in seven days, and they play it and...well...

Spike: To be honest, I liked Faye's better.

Jet: Yeah, if I wanted a snuff film, I'd at least go Argento or something.

Aaand then, the girl starts coming through the screen, but almost immediately something goes wrong, because - Of course - Ed's computer is hacked into everything and she changes channels on her, leaving the zombie girl to be shunted into Big Shots with a ten million wulong reward. Shucks howdy!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Marter said:
RJ 17 said:

Hehe, I know, Samara is not Sadako. I was just being a slap-dick. :3

I still haven't seen the vs movie...but I bet it's just dripping with delicious cheese.

One thing's for sure: it has to be better than Dawn of Justice. :p