Sony Adds Two-Factor Authentication Option to PlayStation Network Accounts

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Sony Adds Two-Factor Authentication Option to PlayStation Network Accounts

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1345/1345406.jpgSony has finally added a long-requested feature to PlayStation Network accounts: Two-factor authentication.

Ever since PlayStation Network was hacked back in 2011, there have been calls for Sony to add more security. Today, they've finally answered the call by adding two-factor authentication to PSN.

If you've used any two-factor authentication before, you'll be familiar with how this works. Once you sign in, you'll receive a verification code through a text on your phone that you enter to confirm your identity and complete the sign-in process.

This new feature isn't required, so you won't have to use it. That said, if you're storing your credit card information on the service, it's definitely in your best interest to turn it on.

You can find Sony's full instructions and information on the new service on the official PlayStation website [https://www.playstation.com/en-us/account-security/2-step-verification/].

Nov 28, 2007
As someone who is currently in the process of disputing charges due to someone accessing my PSN, I'm all for this. I'd also be in favor of the PSN not automatically saving your credit card information unless you specifically tell it not to after every transaction. That's where I ran into problems.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Setting this up tonight when I get home. It's about time they added this, considering past hacks.