This Batman Cosplay Suit Set a World Record with 23 Working Gadgets

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
This Batman Cosplay Suit Set a World Record with 23 Working Gadgets

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1345/1345680.jpgThis may be the coolest fan-made Batman suit of all time.

Cosplay is something that many gamers love to get into, but one Irish cosplayer may have topped them all with his amazing Batman suit.

Julian Checkley is a veteran of the film industry, having worked in both model-making and creature effects. He brought that knowledge to the world of cosplay when he created a Batman suit with 23 working gadgets. That was enough to grab the world record for "Most functional gadgets on a cos-play suit."

The 23 gadgets included in the suit are inspired by both classic Batman gadgets and gadgets from Batman: Arkham Origins. Speaking about the suit, "There were many long hours trying devising the gadgets and finding ways to store them on the suit. They are classic gadgets but also some are specific to Batman: Arkham Origins. I am immensely proud of my Guinness World Records title and to be part of the Gamer's Edition is just the next level."

Here's the list:

Fireball Shooter
Gauntlet Video Screens x 2
Bat Tracking Beacon
Bat Sign Projector
Folding Batarang
Grapnel Gun
Cowl Respirator
Pneumatic Tranquilliser Gun
Ultrasonic Anti Dog Device
Bat Shuriken x 4
UV Lamp
Ball Bearing Grenades x 2
Gauntlet Flashlight
Medi-kit
Battery Pack
Laser Designator
Bat-cam
Strobe Stun Gun
Gas Dispenser
Smoke Bombs x 2
The Bat Flask
Concealed Laryngeal Microphone
Two-way Radio

You check out more pics of the suit, as well as previews of the pages in the upcoming Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition 2017, over at the official Guiness World Records website [http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2016/8/video-batman-cos-play-suit-with-23-functioning-gadgets-earns-owner-place-in-the]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
FalloutJack said:
ffronw said:
The Bat Flask
For those rough nights where you can't get the Joker's laugh out of your head.
To be perfectly honest I'm surprised Bruce hasn't been reduced to alcoholism or more serious methods of coping with the stress of his life. Either he's damn strong willed or the Killing Joke was spot on over how bonkers he really is.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
erttheking said:
To be perfectly honest I'm surprised Bruce hasn't been reduced to alcoholism or more serious methods of coping with the stress of his life.
For a time there he did run around with costumed orphaned boys, who sometimes died under mysterious circumstances.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
008Zulu said:
erttheking said:
To be perfectly honest I'm surprised Bruce hasn't been reduced to alcoholism or more serious methods of coping with the stress of his life.
For a time there he did run around with costumed orphaned boys, who sometimes died under mysterious circumstances.
True...and more than a few people have pointed out that dressing up like a bat and pummeling people in the dead of night is not something an emotionally stable person does.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
FalloutJack said:
ffronw said:
The Bat Flask
I got a chuckle from that too. Imaging Batman swinging from roof tops a little tipsy. NOT a good idea :)

Maybe the college Humor version of him would...

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
erttheking said:
FalloutJack said:
ffronw said:
The Bat Flask
To be perfectly honest I'm surprised Bruce hasn't been reduced to alcoholism or more serious methods of coping with the stress of his life. Either he's damn strong willed or the Killing Joke was spot on over how bonkers he really is.
I chalk it up to willpower. Dude's got enough of it to be a Green Lantern, if he wanted.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
It's incredibly impressive, but I question how "functional" some of these gadgets are. What does a fireball gauntlet even do? It's cool, yeah, but...wouldn't a taser be more practical? I guess he's already got one of them.

Imagine Batman getting caught out with Flash or Green Lantern or something and they're like "we need some way to light this fire, to save all those innocent orphans" and Batman's all "I've got a fireball gaunt - no, wait, no. I stopped carrying that, because it was useless. Sorry. Let's just...Flash, just rub a stick real fast. Or something. Sorry."

erttheking said:
He basically starts drinking himself stupid after retiring in The Dark Knight Returns. Then he quits as soon as he puts the suit back on. Maybe the all the crime-fighting and thug-pummeling is his stress release valve.

A lot of adaptations have him teetotal, only drinking pretend champagne at parties, acting more drunk than he is, etc. Which makes sense considering his hobby and his level of physical fitness. Then again...the best example of that I can think of is Year One, which was also by Frank Miller.

So maybe he started out young and idealistic going "totally going to do this whole thing sober" and then thirty years later he's like "fucking...Joker...fucking...fuck. Jesus. I need a drink."

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
erttheking said:
...Or you know, Bruce wayne is a fictional character. Christ, people else days.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
mad825 said:
erttheking said:
Uh, of course. It's just that, you know, people like to explore characters and how their world would impact on them.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
mad825 said:
erttheking said:
Uh, of course. It's just that, you know, people like to explore characters and how their world would impact on them.
I hope you realise how on moronic that sounds. I duly understand that people may use it as a means on fantasising and romanticising on a "What if" scenario but it becomes dangerous to use it as a logical output.
"How on moronic that sounds." Uh yeah. If you're going to call me moronic, it undermines your argument if you make mistakes like that. And no, not really. I fail to see how following logical conclusions and using your imagination is moronic.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
I chalk it up to willpower. Dude's got enough of it to be a Green Lantern, if he wanted.
Pretty sure he was simultaneously a Red, Green, and Yellow lantern at one point. I could be mixing alot of things up though.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
mad825 said:
mad825 said:
I hope you realise how on moronic that sounds. I duly understand that people may use it as a means on fantasising and romanticising on a "What if" scenario but it becomes dangerous to use it as a logical output.
Dude, who shat in your cereal this morning?

People like to talk about fictional characters. Sometimes that involves talking about the suspension of disbelief, and what is and isn't credible about the characters. And sometimes they like to think a character has realistic personality flaws, and isn't a perfect flawless demigod who can do no wrong. You really got no business calling them morons for that.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
erttheking said:
mad825 said:
erttheking said:
"How on moronic that sounds." Uh yeah. If you're going to call me moronic, it undermines your argument if you make mistakes like that. And no, not really. I fail to see how following logical conclusions and using your imagination is moronic.
I wish he didnt get suspended, because I was wondering how he thinks writers even write these characters. Are you an idiot for thinking about this all until you put pen to paper, or are writers stupid too?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I like how happy he seems in the interview. And thats a pretty functional cosplay costume. most of the gadgets are actually quite useful for a non-lethal fighter and the costume seems to be comfortable enough for long periods of wear. Much better than that WH40K cosplay they had during E3 where the dude couldnt even walk without help becuase the costume was too bulky.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Strazdas said:
Much better than that WH40K cosplay they had during E3 where the dude couldnt even walk without help becuase the costume was too bulky.
This guy [https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_201483&feature=iv&src_vid=vxV6Mh1XYqA&v=U8qglSV74XY] has some of the best Space Marine cosplay I've ever seen. The digits on the power fist move!

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
bastardofmelbourne said:
Strazdas said:
Much better than that WH40K cosplay they had during E3 where the dude couldnt even walk without help becuase the costume was too bulky.
This guy [https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_201483&feature=iv&src_vid=vxV6Mh1XYqA&v=U8qglSV74XY] has some of the best Space Marine cosplay I've ever seen. The digits on the power fist move!
Woah that's amazing! This dude and Batman above just make me smile. They're clearly having a ton of fun getting to be the characters they love.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Now hold your bat-horses a second there Batman...since when was a flask considered a gadget?? Does it keep his soup perpetually piping for those long winter nights with mini exo-thermic reactions?