Nintendo: "We Have to do Better When We Launch NX"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo: "We Have to do Better When We Launch NX"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/751/751361.jpg
Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime recognizes that the Wii U launch wasn't as good as it could have been.

Speaking with NX console [http://www.alistdaily.com/strategy/nintendo-president-reggie-fils-aime-discusses-nintendo-nx/].

"One of the things that we have to do better when we launch the NX - we have to do a better job communicating the positioning for the product," he explained. "We have to do a better job helping people to understand its uniqueness and what that means for the game playing experience."

Reggie is no doubt referring to the whole debacle regarding the Wii U's launch. Because of it's similar name, controllers and appearance, many thought that the Wii U was simply an optional add-on to the original Wii console, rather than something completely new and unique. Similarly, many thought that "Wii U" branded games would be compatible with their old Wii consoles.

Additionally, Reggie said that "We have to do a better job from a software planning standpoint." Again, "unique Wii U experiences" were rather thin on the ground when the console first launched, and rather than launching alongside flagship Nintendo franchises... we got Nintendo Land. It looks like the company isn't aiming to repeat that, with the NX launching alongside big-hitter Zelda: Breath of The Wild [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20legend%20of%20zelda%20breath%20of%20the%20wild?os=the+legend+of+zelda+breath+of+the+wild].

We're still not exactly sure what the NX will be, with the current rumors reporting that it's an entirely portable console with detachable controllers. Hopefully we will hear some more info on it in the coming months.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.alistdaily.com/strategy/nintendo-president-reggie-fils-aime-discusses-nintendo-nx/]

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
I'll tell ya what would really help you, Nintendo: Stop treating your fans like crap with copyright claims and C&D's. I know it sounds weird, but gameplay videos and fan projects actually boost your game sales and brand recognition. Shocking, right?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Here is an idea, stop concentrating on gimmicks. Do what other system developers do. Make a system that is at least as powerful as the current systems. It's Ok to get some of the same software other platforms have. Then your strong first party games really sell it. You don't get ahead with gimmicks, you did once, it was a fluke, now move on from it. This one is going to be as big of a mess as the last. Stop making gimmick bullshit.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Says they need to explain the console better...yet we don't even know what it is. So you already failed thus far.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I love you Nintendo, I really do, but I haven't been able to own a console of yours since the Game Cube. Not because of money but because your new innovative control schemes have never appealed to me...

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Just... fuckin'... have some games for the damn things on launch. A Zelda and a Mario, that'll do. Maybe a Metroid if you're done fucking Samus over.

Like, I didn't buy a Wii or Wii U for ages, since there just... wasn't anything solid at launch.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Redlin5 said:
I love you Nintendo, I really do, but I haven't been able to own a console of yours since the Game Cube. Not because of money but because your new innovative control schemes have never appealed to me...
Most Wii U games work like most regular games, just you now have a map or inventory screen in your hands aswell. Most games aren't Star Fox Zero (even though I think the motion controls in that are fine). Plus it plays Wii games, so if you decide to give certain Wii games a chance, you can.

Also the Pro controller that works on most games.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Baresark said:
Here is an idea, stop concentrating on gimmicks. Do what other system developers do. Make a system that is at least as powerful as the current systems. It's Ok to get some of the same software other platforms have. Then your strong first party games really sell it. You don't get ahead with gimmicks, you did once, it was a fluke, now move on from it. This one is going to be as big of a mess as the last. Stop making gimmick bullshit.
They did that with the GameCube, it was more powerful than the PS2 and launched at a lower price if I remember correctly (I might not it's been a long while) and we all saw how that went. It was a major success and Nintendo was swimming in money from the massive sales.

They then launched the DS, the first console with a touch screen. Did poorly.
Then came the Wii and non-one bought it.
Then came the 3DS, the first console to feature 3D and without glasses. Also a major failure.
So it's clear that all attempts at innovation have failed, while launching comparable hardware has never failed.

Saelune said:
Says they need to explain the console better...yet we don't even know what it is. So you already failed thus far.
No, we know it's going to REVOLUTIONARY and INNOVATIVE and AMAZING and some other buzzwords, isn't that enough for you? I am annoyed that they haven't given us anything concrete to be honest, but I think I know why. If this console is a successor to the Wii U it will hurt Wii U sales from now and until the launch of NX (which might not be a solid launch considering fans feel betrayed by the quick transition to a new console). By giving us vague information they avoid that and still get us throwing money at the Wii U. What they should have learned form the Wii U is that giving vague information doesn't help them one bit.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Yopaz said:
Saelune said:
No, we know it's going to REVOLUTIONARY and INNOVATIVE and AMAZING and some other buzzwords, isn't that enough for you? I am annoyed that they haven't given us anything concrete to be honest, but I think I know why. If this console is a successor to the Wii U it will hurt Wii U sales from now and until the launch of NX (which might not be a solid launch considering fans feel betrayed by the quick transition to a new console). By giving us vague information they avoid that and still get us throwing money at the Wii U. What they should have learned form the Wii U is that giving vague information doesn't help them one bit.
They also have people unwilling to buy a Wii U if its not replacing it. And people who might want a NX but spend their money on a Wii U, so they just don't buy the NX (and get angry when they realize they should have waited).

I really just have no faith in Nintendo's Businessman CEO.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kibeth41 said:
Saelune said:
Well the console hasn't even been officially announced yet. 100% certain he's referring to that point in time, not now.

I remember the Wii U announcement. It was pretty bad. They literally only showed off the controller at first. Probably the most confusing console announcement ever witnessed.

It'll be announced when it's ready, and there's a chance we'll see an announcement soon[footnote]least there better be.. Else we'll be hitting 2017 thinking that the NX is just a bimonthly curated box of snacks[/footnote]. They've not done a Nintendo Direct in months.
My point being that it would help them later if they were clearer now. I think their lack of details is a huge hindrance to the NX's success.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Stop remastering Mario and Zelda, bring out some new stuff. No one will buy the console if they can play the same game on a system they already have. Oh, and yeah, release some JRPGs in the West once in a while.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Admittedly I don't really pay attention to console news anymore but I knew that the Wii U was a new system. Imo they had a much bigger problem than people being "confused" about their product: They barely had any games in the beginning. The way I remember it the Wii U had a pretty big head start release wise over the PS4/XB1 yet they did little to nothing to take advantage of it. They needed a strong library of games to get people committed to the Wii U early so they would be greatly discouraged from spending hundreds on either a PS4/XB1 (like why would I want to spend all that money when I'm having so much fun already?) but instead they barely had any noticeable games and it felt like they didn't even to really try until their competitors were already out of the starting gate and way ahead of them.

In a strange way they'll have a similar opportunity with the NX since it'll be the only "new" console on the market, their competitors are going with upgraded versions of consoles a lot of people have already and chances are if those people are willing to buy a new console then they're more likely to get something brand new over a little better version of something that's probably still working just fine. But only if the NX gets their attention with great exclusive games, otherwise it'll flop like the Wii U did. I'm sorry if all this sounds really simple & obvious, I thought it was really simple & obvious too all those years ago but apparently it wasn't to the people over at Nintendo back then. Hopefully they learned their lesson this time around otherwise we'll be back here in a couple of years listening to how they have to do better for the next one.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
The way it looks right now, it seems like they're spreading themselves over more markets, but this seems to be moving farther away from Nintendo's primary advantage, which is the high strength of their core branding and philosophy. Most of the problems stem from lack of progress on finding their next generation of inhouse developers who can deliver on the things they want to make. Right now they've been relying on just a handful of third parties and releasing work that seems to have been made by people who were only taught to think within the limitations of their old stuff, instead of being able to put anything new forward. The halfhanded attempts at modern monetization aren't really that great either...it's disappointing to see games that would have normally been sold at a modest price being redesigned as microtransaction heavy. There also has to be more efforts to re-establish a working agreement on social media, because unless they resolve that stuff it's always going to work against them instead of for them.

The portable console thing might work, but they're really going to have to make a huge showing or else they won't break back into the market that they should have fought harder to stay in.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Them skewing the market with a significantly less powerful system and curious gimmicks is still gonna give them the most trouble. And that's exactly what their next console is shaping up to be... again.

Sorry Nintendo, but those third-party developers do matter quite a lot, and they're not gonna come groveling to you. Not when the PS4, PC, and Xbone are around giving them more horse power and a larger audience.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
It's already been said, but;
"...we have to do a better job communicating the positioning for the product," he explained. "We have to do a better job helping people to understand its uniqueness and what that means for the game playing experience."
Is quite hilarious when they still do not mention what the new console is supposed to even be. Which makes me wonder why the person conducting the interview didn't just ask " So can you tell us, the people at home, Nintendo's fans and customers what the NX will be and what it will provide?" You know, like any normal journalist. Which may only be met with Reggie uncomfortably scratching his ear, looking off into the distance going "errrrrr...well, see here, let me answer that question with another question..."
Just a little bit humourous.

Casual Shinji said:
Them skewing the market with a significantly less powerful system and curious gimmicks is still gonna give them the most trouble. And that's exactly what their next console is shaping up to be... again.

Sorry Nintendo, but those third-party developers do matter quite a lot, and they're not gonna come groveling to you. Not when the PS4, PC, and Xbone are around giving them more horse power and a larger audience.
Large publishers have already been expressing much interest in the NX such as ubisoft, Rockstar(Take two?) and others. One would have to assume they already have access to development kits as is the course for new consoles. There must be something going for it.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Step 1: TELL US WHAT IT IS. You know how the Wii U a lot of people thought it was just an add-on for the Wii? Well that was not clarifying strongly to the casual audience you were marketing it for. With the NX? They haven't clarified ANYTHING so the rumors are going to drive interest sky high then into the ground from exhaustion. Most people I know just want them to say ANYTHING so the rumors can be cleanly debunked.