Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition Now Available on Steam, and Owners of the Original Get it Free

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition Now Available on Steam, and Owners of the Original Get it Free

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1346/1346868.jpgNordic THQ is rolling out an updated version of Titan Quest to celebrate the game's tenth anniversary, and giving it to owners of the original for free.

If you own Titan Quest or Titan Quest: Immortal Throne on Steam, THQ Nordic has a added a little gift to your Steam Library for you: a reworked version of both games titled Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition.

The new version incorporates roughly 1,261 changes, which represents the sum total of 10 years of changes. You can see all of those changes in the full patch notes [http://titanquestgame.com/pcchangelog/TQ_AnniversaryEdition_FullChangelog.txt], but the big changes include:

Improved multiplayer functionality with built-in voice chat and NAT resolving
Support for more resolutions, longer camera distance, and a scaleable UI
Mod support and full Steam Workshop integration

If you don't own Titan Quest already, you can grab yourself a copy of the Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition for 75 percent off on GOG [http://store.steampowered.com/app/475150/] until September 7.

[gallery=6449]

Newage

Aug 21, 2014
That's awesome. I loved Titan Quest back in the day. And while I was mostly playing the vanilla game solo, there were plenty of great mods. It's a really nice surprise.

Now, time to find my old character files again :)

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
One Question: "Why?"
Before someone comes around asking why we give our games out for free (or almost for free if you want), here's a quick explanation: After our name change from "Nordic Games" to "THQ Nordic", we wanted a running start for our new identity and had to think about how to begin the new era with the most positive connotation possible (for a publisher).

So, many months ago, we had a conversation in our marketing department which went something like this:
"Guys, what can we do to make people like us and stay with our brands?"
"Easy, we just have to be grateful. Remember, without them, we would be nothing."
"And how should we show gratitude?"
"Free stuff, I guess. Everyone likes free stuff."
"Well then, give them free stuff, for f***'s sake."

So, that's basically where we are now.

---

Well, we hope that you are satisfied with our way to say THANK YOU and wish you a great time showing 'em titans who the boss is.

Yours truly,
THQ Nordic
*Nods with satisfaction*.

Aye, gradely. I think I dented the Prismatic Blade on that thousandth valkynaz anyway. So, while it's in the shoppe...

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
LAME, I have the original physical copy with...five discs...I think? Where's my free updated version?!

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Sound cool. Though I think they may be planning to make a sequel, so reminding us about the game this way isn't exactly the pure gift they make it out to be. Not complaining though. As long as they are doing nice things I don't really care why they are doing it.

kiri3tsubasa

Jan 24, 2016
Does it still have that issue where with the Immortal Throne expansion you can not highlight anything and thus can not pick anything up?

*Just played, still can't pick up items. Game is unplayable for me.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Nordic/the new THQ: Doing it right by gamers. Lovely, hope they manage to do great things. Maybe we'll even get the 3rd Darksiders?

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
American Fox said:
LAME, I have the original physical copy with...five discs...I think? Where's my free updated version?!
Was thinking the same thing, although I got the 2 dvd base game + expansion version

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
"And how should we show gratitude?"
"Free stuff, I guess. Everyone likes free stuff."
"Well then, give them free stuff, for f***'s sake."
This is my philosophy at work. When I give people free stuff, they tell my supervisor how wonderful their experience was and I get a pat on the back. Still trying to figure out how to cash those pats on the back in... certainly doesn't help much when raises come around each year.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Cool. I deserve free stuff, don't I. Yes, I, do ^^

I just saw the collection for $2 one day and bought it, and I haven't even touched it yet, and now I have the anniversary edition too. Maybe I should put this higher on my list of the endless amount of games I haven't played yet.

The_State

Jun 25, 2008
As wonderful as this news is, as I put far too many hours into Titan Quest from when it launched until about three years ago, I wonder how much this will divert attention away from its spiritual (and mechanical) successor, Grim Dawn.

Grim Dawn is great, everyone. It takes the best parts of Titan Quest (class combinations, interesting and varied equipment, brilliant sound design, etc.) and finds ways to improve each one, all with a fascinating and marvelous setting.

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I personally enjoyed Titan Quest more then Grim Dawn to be honest. I also have the original physical discs, but I picked up the steam versions a few years ago (so I didn't have to use the discs anymore), as well.

TQ was quite a good game for it's time, and is still enjoyable now. I personally like the flow/story etc better then Grim Dawn which feels more chaotic to me. I also felt more of a range of builds in TQ, where in Grim Dawn I felt more like I would generally only choose 1 attack type as my primary, and sometimes...sometimes an AoE or alt attak to go with it (along with many buffs etc).

Grim dawn was VERY playable with only 1 button in many cases....seemed to have less strategy needed for most fights, and especially your first time through even on elite difficulty (which there is literally no reason to play except for a bigger "challenge"....but that challenge is just giving more health to everything), it's EXTREMELY easy.

TQ on the other hand had quite a bit of challenge your first play through, had many different builds you could make, even with the same two class choices, and the class choices seemed more varied as well (to me), with more of them working well together. In Grim dawn it seems more like there are 2 or 3 possible choices for each class that really work. In TQ almost any combo could work well, at least till you got dream and just about everything seemed to work better in combo with dream.

My suggestion for new players, avoid dream. Even while playing the expansion, focus on the other combos and save dream for the end after playing other builds. It's hard to switch back to another combo once you have started using dream, or at least it was for me.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
kiri3tsubasa said:
Does it still have that issue where with the Immortal Throne expansion you can not highlight anything and thus can not pick anything up?

*Just played, still can't pick up items. Game is unplayable for me.
Are you clicking the items on the ground, or are you clicking their item names that pop up when you press Alt?

Also, most of the items that drop are gray rarity, which are considered lower trash than white rarity.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Nazulu said:
Cool. I deserve free stuff, don't I. Yes, I, do ^^

I just saw the collection for $2 one day and bought it, and I haven't even touched it yet, and now I have the anniversary edition too. Maybe I should put this higher on my list of the endless amount of games I haven't played yet.
I had the original + expansion on disk. So glad I dropped a few bucks on the Steam version during a sale. Now I have a reason to play it again.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
008Zulu said:
Perhaps you meant

Barbas said:
*Nords with satisfaction*.
:)
...Er...

Maybe, I suppose. I really don't know. ._.

I'm more of a tribunal sort of person - the originals, not the well-meaning pretenders.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Heh the original titan quest burned up video cards unless you throttled the frame rate to vsync

But the game was still great :)

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Well, that's both good and bad news to me.
I own the TQ/IT on physical discs and I avoid the DRM that is Steam like the plague..
Still, updating and enhancing a classic game for free (or for limelight in regards to a sequel) is awesome.
Though I have to wonder, is the final TQ boss just before IT still a huge motherloving pain in the ni'kta?

Grim Dawn is nowhere near as good as TQ/IT. Mostly because it feels more like a chore, it's so darn far between "portals".
That and other things as well that detract from the game.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I love it. It shows good faith to the fans of the original while simultaneous enticing new players to buy your game.

I hope this recent trend continues to grow and eventually becomes the norm.