Super Mario Maker is Coming to 3DS

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Super Mario Maker is Coming to 3DS

The popular Mario creation tool is making its way to 3DS.

is being ported for the handheld [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/super%20mario%20maker?os=%20super%20mario%20maker]. The bad news of course is that it has been all but stripped of its online functionality - what arguably made the Wii U version so great in the first place.

Super Mario Maker For Nintendo 3DS will be released on December 2, and will come 100 levels designed by Nintendo, each with various extra challenges, such as completing the level while killing all of the enemies, or collecting every coin. You will also be able to play levels from an ever-changing automatically-generated list of player-created levels from the Wii U version of the game.

What you won't be able to do is enter in a download code to play a specific player-created level, or upload any of your own created levels to the internet. Nintendo says that levels created on the 3DS version of the game will only be shareable via local wireless and Street Pass.

Source: Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Latest-Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-698557.html]

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
What you won't be able to do is enter in a download code to play a specific player-created level, or upload any of your own created levels to the internet. Nintendo says that levels created on the 3DS version of the game will only be shareable via local wireless and Street Pass.
Lol - Nintendo still doesn't know how to make games for 2016.

Seriously, isn't this a massive problem for a title like this?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So you basically create your own level just for yourself instead of sharing it with others? No thank you.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I guess they're still scared since the pervos destroyed swapnote

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I'll just quote what I said on Destructoid:

"Mario Maker for 3DS"

Fuck yeah

"No online play"

Fuck you

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
And I don't even understand why they decided for this. The 3DS is perfectly capable of going online. Hell, even Street Pass could be a possibility.

Sure, the creation itself could be a bit fun for an hour or two, or say 5 maps or something. But you have a vastly superior version on another system where the main appeal was the aspect of sharing maps. So the only appeal now is that you can play on the go levels you've created (on the go). That absolutely is it.

Why? Who buys this? I wouldn't be surprised if the initial sales numbers was high, but that will only be from people who then find out what they cannot do after they've bought it.

Why? Is this maybe just an exercise for the NX? But then, when they don't use the functionalities of a system that is going with the time like online functionality for a title where it was one of the main appeals, what does it say about their priorities? In other words, even if the NX will be capable of delivering an appealing online functionality, will it be implemented properly in the games? Sure, this is in the hands of each individual developer and/or publisher, but SMM is done by a first party developer. SMM's main appeal is the sharing functionality for the majority of people. Why is this so hard for a first party developer to implement?

In addition, this sheds a tiny light on Nintendo's policy regarding Wii U's SMM map sharing feature. Maybe they even think that this was a total mistake, for whatever reason.

It just baffles my mind. It's like saying that Counter Strike is perfectly enjoyable as a single-player experience, or DOTA 2 or LoL with bots. Or more accurate Minecraft purpousefully handled without any multiplayer functionality and mods on PC. Sure, some will play it and enjoy it very much. But why doing this when the system is perfectly capable of doing this?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Again, Nintendo being Nintendo and not getting it even when it's right in front of their freaking noses. Not being able to distribute the levels online pretty much kills the selling point.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well maybe I can get it, I mean after all-"No online play" well thanks for saving me money Nintendo.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Nintendo, just why? what's the point of gimping a nice game like Mario Maker this way?
Like seriously, I can't think of a single reason why this would be acceptable unless the 3DS didn't have the option to connect to the Internet, and we all know that it can.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Kibeth41 said:
Thanks, I missed that one for some reason. It still is stupid if it's really for the reason that they deem the online functions of the Wii U version as a failure, hence their handling of maps and deletion of them.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Nintendo: Super Mario Maker for 3DS!

Me: Oh, cool! I can't wait to-

Nintendo: No online sharing.

Me: Never mind.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Apparently, the stated reason for the removal of online sharing was to increase the feeling of "spontaneity" from levels.

"Innovation" for innovation's sake? Classic Nintendo.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
RaikuFA said:
I'll just quote what I said on Destructoid:

"Mario Maker for 3DS"

Fuck yeah

"No online play"

Fuck you
Ah! I've been wondering if the Raiku on Destructoid is the same Raiku here haha or if it was just some super crazy coincidence with the same avatars and so (been having a string of crazy coincidences happen to me lately). Soz for hitting ya out of the left field with that, I also frequent Destructoid and leave comments there so I keep spotting you now and then thinking "Hey! Raiku from Escapist?!"

Anyway, yeahhh.... isn't creating and sharing levels online kind of the game's biggest selling point? Regardless I'm doubly screwed getting this anyway, because there's no 3DS players let alone people who will buy Mario Maker to create levels remotely near me to share levels with anyway.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
TheMigrantSoldier said:
Apparently, the stated reason for the removal of online sharing was to increase the feeling of "spontaneity" from levels.

Just makes me wonder, how does playing your own levels increase the feeling of spontaneity?

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
bluegate said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:

Just makes me wonder, how does playing your own levels increase the feeling of spontaneity?
You get to play levels made by Wii U users and Nintendo themselves. The actual incentive for 3DS players to make their own levels has been pretty much removed.