Titanfall 2 Won't be a Part of EA Access

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Titanfall 2 Won't be a Part of EA Access

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1347/1347368.jpg
You won't be able to get a free 10 hour trial of Titanfall 2 like you can with other EA games.

Well, this does not bode well. In an unprecedented move, Titanfall 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/titanfall%202?os=titanfall+2], EA Games and Respawn Entertainment's upcoming mech-based shooter will not be a part of the EA Access system. That means that EA or Origin Access members will not be able to play a free 10 hour trial of the game on PC and Xbox One, nor be eligible for a 10% discount.

We first noticed in Game Reactor [http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/faq.html] has gone ahead and confirmed it with Respawn Entertainment itself. It did clarify that it may be added back into the program at some point in the future, but definitely not this year.

This is a worrying decision, as Titanfall 2 is the first game to be outright excluded from the program. Even big hitters like Star Wars: Battlefront and Battlefield 1 are still a part of EA Access. I can't help but think this decision was made due to negativity surrounding the game's recent beta weekend [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168177-Titanfall-2-Multiplayer-Technical-Test-Begins-This-Weekend#&gid=gallery_6410&pid=1].

Source: Game Reactor [http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/452003/Titanfall+2+wont+be+part+of+EA%2FOrigin+Access/]

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I dont have EA access cause fuck EA. Also it excludes the one EA game Ive been looking at all forward to in a long time. It doesnt bother me, its just funny.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Since this game is supposed to have a Single Player campaign, this leads me to suspect that the game's SP is (at best) 6 to 8 hours long.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Yeah, like EA were ever going to let that happen. A full ten hours of an estimated 8 hour campaign...for free?! People are obviously all thieving, selfish assholes due to some rather poetic projection on their part, so we can't trust them not one teeny bit! Basically, what I'm trying to say is; don't subscribe to their bullshit practices unless you have a massive distaste for your own money.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well, Ten Hours was enough to see everything in Titanfall twice over, even with a single player campaign I don't expect Titanfall 2 to take much longer to beat.

Seemingly everything about Titanfall 2 makes it look bad at the moment, must be some serious hand wringing going on at EA and Respawn.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
What was the negativity around the beta weekend? Because the link just goes to an article about there being the beta weekend, and not anything about the response?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Seth Carter said:
What was the negativity around the beta weekend? Because the link just goes to an article about there being the beta weekend, and not anything about the response?
Apparently alot of what made Titanfall 1 fun...was removed. Titans became kill streaks, players were less mobile, things like that.

However, they also supposedly used the beta as a beta and are trying to fix these issues, so credit for that if true.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Wow, Bogus Bogos. Way to draw unnecessary conclusions from a non-issue announcement. Gotta stir those flames, right?

"Titanfall 2 isn't on EA Access! That clearly means it's going to be a shitty game!" Or maybe, since Respawn isn't a wholly-owned subsidiary of EA (like DICE is, makers of the aforementioned games in the OP), they have no obligation to be a part of EA Access (and the prerequisites that come with being a part of that program).

I, for one, am glad. EA Access can burn in a fiery hell-pit, as far as I'm concerned, and not having the potentiality of portions of Titanfall 2 locked behind that bullshit paywall is A-okay in my book.

Besides, last I checked, refunds were still a thing on Origin and in brick-and-mortar stores. So where's the issue?

Seth Carter said:
An incredibly small (but remarkably vocal, thanks in no small part to sites like this looking for anything negative) portion of the community threw a massive tantrum over the new game not feeling exactly like the first game.

Saelune said:
Apparently alot of what made Titanfall 1 fun...was removed.
Which was the biggest load of bullshit to come out of the tantrum thrown by that minority within the community. I played the first game for hundreds of hours. I did scrims, tourneys, and was even a part (as a ringer/kill accumulator) of several 'pro' teams during its run. So I know what the first game felt like.

Did the Titanfall 2 beta feel different? Yes, in some ways. It also felt the same in a great many ways, and even better in others. Regardless, it was no less 'fun' than the first game. I still had a blast wall running, sneaking in for close range kills, rodeo'ing Titans, and stomping on enemy Infantry with my own Titan.

Titans became kill streaks
Not entirely, but they've since changed that. They'd even changed it by the time the second weekend test rolled around.

players were less mobile
I heard a lot of people ***** about this, but I can't for the life of me figure out how they were having trouble being mobile. I was able to perform the same maneuvers as I could in TF1 (except for ultra fast bunny hopping) and had the added mobility of the grappling hook. And all of this while using the Dualshock 4 on my PS4. (I played the first game on PC, so I'm more used to the controls there, and I'm exceptionally terrible with a gamepad in FPS games compared to how well I do with K&M)

Sounds more to me like a lot of them just need to 'git gud'.

However, they also supposedly used the beta as a beta and are trying to fix these issues, so credit for that if true.
They'd already 'fixed' a number of the legitimate issues by the time the second test wrapped. My hope is that they keep at least some of the new systems in the game. Or rather, my fear is that they'll capitulate too much to the whinier portion of the community and be too afraid to experiment with and expand upon the systems they've built.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Wow, Bogus Bogos. Way to draw unnecessary conclusions from a non-issue announcement. Gotta stir those flames, right?

"Titanfall 2 isn't on EA Access! That clearly means it's going to be a shitty game!" Or maybe, since Respawn isn't a wholly-owned subsidiary of EA (like DICE is, makers of the aforementioned games in the OP), they have no obligation to be a part of EA Access (and the prerequisites that come with being a part of that program).

I, for one, am glad. EA Access can burn in a fiery hell-pit, as far as I'm concerned, and not having the potentiality of portions of Titanfall 2 locked behind that bullshit paywall is A-okay in my book.

Besides, last I checked, refunds were still a thing on Origin and in brick-and-mortar stores. So where's the issue?

Seth Carter said:
An incredibly small (but remarkably vocal, thanks in no small part to sites like this looking for anything negative) portion of the community threw a massive tantrum over the new game not feeling exactly like the first game.

Saelune said:
Apparently alot of what made Titanfall 1 fun...was removed.
Which was the biggest load of bullshit to come out of the tantrum thrown by that minority within the community. I played the first game for hundreds of hours. I did scrims, tourneys, and was even a part (as a ringer/kill accumulator) of several 'pro' teams during its run. So I know what the first game felt like.

Did the Titanfall 2 beta feel different? Yes, in some ways. It also felt the same in a great many ways, and even better in others. Regardless, it was no less 'fun' than the first game. I still had a blast wall running, sneaking in for close range kills, rodeo'ing Titans, and stomping on enemy Infantry with my own Titan.

Titans became kill streaks
Not entirely, but they've since changed that. They'd even changed it by the time the second weekend test rolled around.

players were less mobile
I heard a lot of people ***** about this, but I can't for the life of me figure out how they were having trouble being mobile. I was able to perform the same maneuvers as I could in TF1 (except for ultra fast bunny hopping) and had the added mobility of the grappling hook. And all of this while using the Dualshock 4 on my PS4. (I played the first game on PC, so I'm more used to the controls there, and I'm exceptionally terrible with a gamepad in FPS games compared to how well I do with K&M)

Sounds more to me like a lot of them just need to 'git gud'.

They'd already 'fixed' a number of the legitimate issues by the time the second test wrapped. My hope is that they keep at least some of the new systems in the game. Or rather, my fear is that they'll capitulate too much to the whinier portion of the community and be too afraid to experiment with and expand upon the systems they've built.
I didnt play it, cause I tire of betas and demos, so everything I said was second-hand. That said, why does what you want matter more than what they want? I liked Titanfall way more than I thought I would, and certainly what I heard suggested a gutting of what made that true. I dont want Titanfall 2 to be bad, so I certainly hope whatever we get when it comes out is better than the first, but just because people are complaining, doesnt mean they are invalid in their complaints. Not saying you are wrong either, but you too are someone who is complaining and wants yours to be heard so you get the game you want.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Saelune said:
I didnt play it, cause I tire of betas and demos, so everything I said was second-hand.
Okay. Does that mean I can't use your post as a jumping off point to address the specifics therein?

Your post listed a number of the more common complaints, so it was just convenient to use it as a segue.

That said, why does what you want matter more than what they want?
Did I say it does?

Regardless, yes. It does matter more. To me.

I liked Titanfall way more than I thought I would, and certainly what I heard suggested a gutting of what made that true.
Does it? In what way?

If you didn't actually try the beta (which you could have easily done) why trust the word of some random jerkoffs online? Especially when the 'net has proven that vast swaths of people will *****, hyperbolically, about even the smallest, most inconsequential things.

And yes, that means I'm saying you shouldn't automatically trust my accounts either.

I dont want Titanfall 2 to be bad,
Me neither. And what I've seen, heard, and experienced thus far tells me it's likely not going to be. Doesn't mean the final product won't be bad, but I'm optimistic it will be good.

so I certainly hope whatever we get when it comes out is better than the first,
As do I.

but just because people are complaining, doesnt mean they are invalid in their complaints.
Not saying they can't complain, nor even that all of their complaints are invalid. I'm only saying that many of the 'issues' were addressed by Respawn, were only present because of the limited capacity of it being a beta (I mean, come on, people were losing their fucking minds because they were convinced there was only going to be 2 Titans in the game and that the only map available was indicative of the entire menagerie of maps in the final game), or were demonstrably false.

Not saying you are wrong either, but you too are someone who is complaining and wants yours to be heard so you get the game you want.
Not really. I'm not 'demanding' a specific game from Respawn. I'm not so single minded that I'll ***** and complain when things aren't exactly as I want them to be. I can adapt. I'm open to new things. If Respawn wants to try something new with Titanfall 2, I'm down to seeing what they do. If they want to turn it into a card-based RPG, more power to 'em. If the end result is fun, why should I mind?

Maybe that's why I'm not throwing a tantrum over the beta. I loved the first game quite a lot, but I also like what I'm seeing from the sequel. Just because it's 'different' doesn't mean it can't be fun.

If others want to have a fit over minor changes, that's on them. They're free to do it. But I'm also free to picture them like this:

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Saelune said:
I didnt play it, cause I tire of betas and demos, so everything I said was second-hand.
Okay. Does that mean I can't use your post as a jumping off point to address the specifics therein?

Your post listed a number of the more common complaints, so it was just convenient to use it as a segue.

That said, why does what you want matter more than what they want?
Did I say it does?

Regardless, yes. It does matter more. To me.

I liked Titanfall way more than I thought I would, and certainly what I heard suggested a gutting of what made that true.
Does it? In what way?

And if you didn't actually try the beta (which you could have easily done) why trust the word of some random jerkoffs online? Especially when the 'net has proven that vast swaths of people will *****, hyperbolically, about even the smallest, most inconsequential things.

I dont want Titanfall 2 to be bad,
Me neither. And what I've seen, heard, and experienced thus far tells me it's likely not going to be. Doesn't mean the final product won't be bad, but I'm optimistic it will be good.

so I certainly hope whatever we get when it comes out is better than the first,
As do I.

but just because people are complaining, doesnt mean they are invalid in their complaints.
Not saying they can't complain, nor even that all of their complaints are invalid. I'm only saying that many of the 'issues' were addressed by Respawn, were only present because of the limited capacity of it being a beta (I mean, come on, people were losing their fucking minds because they were convinced there was only going to be 2 Titans in the game and that the only map available was indicative of the entire menagerie of maps in the final game), or were demonstrably false.

Not saying you are wrong either, but you too are someone who is complaining and wants yours to be heard so you get the game you want.
Not really. I'm not 'demanding' a specific game from Respawn. I'm not so single minded that I'll ***** and complain when things aren't exactly as I want them to be. I can adapt. I'm open to new things. If Respawn wants to try something new with Titanfall 2, I'm down to seeing what they do. If they want to turn it into a card-based RPG, more power to 'em. If the end result is fun, why should I mind?

Maybe that's why I'm not throwing a tantrum over the beta. I loved the first game quite a lot, but I also like what I'm seeing from the sequel. Just because it's 'different' doesn't mean it can't be fun.

If others want to have a fit over minor changes, that's on them. They're free to do it. But I'm also free to picture them like this:

I was just trying to be clear that I am not the best source, so that what I said should be taken with a grain of salt. Mostly I am just playing Devil's Advocate and be fair to people who do and do not like how Titanfall 2 is turning out. There is just a potential for some hypocrisy with how you are responding. I also am pro-complaining, in that people should be allowed, and it bothers me when people so easily write off dissenters for complaining at all, instead of for what they are complaining about specifically.

I really liked Titanfall, more so than I thought I would, but it didnt make the impact it wanted. I worry that they might try to compete by becoming more like the competition, instead of trying to be more unique, and the initial criticisms suggested that to me. Maybe you are right, and they are wrong, but...maybe they are right and you are wrong. Just something to consider is all.