World of Warcraft Players Band Together to Spawn a Hidden Legion World Boss

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1347/1347817.jpgWorld of Warcraft is a game filled with secrets, and players just uncovered another big one.

World of Warcraft players are notorious for digging deep into the game, even if it means mining the game data for secrets. While data-mining Legion, a reference was found to a boss named Kosumoth the Hungering, who has a chance to drop an epic mount and an epic pet. He was seen in the beta, but he was nowhere to be found in the live game. No one knew how to spawn him, either.

Meanwhile, WoW players have been hunting for a hippogryph mount with a particular skin since 2007. Discovered when data-mining patch 2.3, the skin has never appeared in the game. While scouring Azsuna for clues to the mount's whereabouts, players discovered a number of secret caves, and within those caves were found orbs. The orbs matched up with an orb found next to an orc hermit named Drak'thul. Moreover, there are a number of pebbles scattered on the table near Drak'Thul. Superimposing those pebbles onto the map of the zone yields the rough location of all 10 of the Hungering Orbs.

Clicking on all the hidden orbs in the proper order doesn't get you the hippogryph mount, though. Instead, it will summon the aforementioned world boss, Kosumoth the Hungering. The message that pops up in the game reads,

"Azeroth itself recoils as unleashes an ancient evil. Kozumoth the Hungering walks the land once more..."

Apparently when Kosumoth is spawned, he is spawned for the whole region, and everyone is notified that he is up. If you can survive the encounter (he has an AoE Shadow Bolt attack that hits all enemies for 10 million damage each), there's a chance you could get the Hungering Claw [http://www.wowhead.com/item=138201/fathom-dweller] pet, if you're lucky with drop rates.

Blizzard loves their secrets, so you can bet that we'll see more discoveries like this in the future. Here's a video of the boss going down:

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Okay, this sounds pretty awesome. I've never been a fan of WoW, but I do love how much detail and care Blizzard puts into it. Reading about secrets like this--that you have to completely luck out on, or cheat and dig through code--always makes me smile. It's so much fun when people find something new in a game, and finding stuff this hidden is always a worthy adventure it seems.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
ffronw said:

If you can survive the encounter (he has an AoE Shadow Bolt attack that hits all enemimes for 10 million damage each)

Those enemimes sound scarier than the boss tbh. Enemy mimes strangling you with invisible rope..

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I have a special kind of distaste for the WoW now, but things like this are pretty cool. Reminds me of Rift when the those ancient sourcestone control points were still a thing and controlling them all for your faction spawned a zone boss that few people ever saw.

That's the kind of stuff I think back most fondly to. Out in the Rift overworld with a handful of friends trying to farm up enough planar charges and organize some random people into controlling the ancient sourcestones that usually nobody ever bothered with. And then the enemy defiant players started to take an interest in attacking as soon as they realized what we were trying to do and the trouble we were stirring up. PvE combined with PvP makes for some of the most interesting experiences. I bet some good old Horde vs Alliance action kicked up around that boss event in WoW.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
MHR said:
I have a special kind of distaste for the WoW now, but things like this are pretty cool. Reminds me of Rift when the those ancient sourcestone control points were still a thing and controlling them all for your faction spawned a zone boss that few people ever saw.

That's the kind of stuff I think back most fondly to. Out in the Rift overworld with a handful of friends trying to farm up enough planar charges and organize some random people into controlling the ancient sourcestones that usually nobody ever bothered with. And then the enemy defiant players started to take an interest in attacking as soon as they realized what we were trying to do and the trouble we were stirring up. PvE combined with PvP makes for some of the most interesting experiences. I bet some good old Horde vs Alliance action kicked up around that boss event in WoW.
Actually many Horde and Alliance help each other to kill bosses and elites around the world, Sure u get the odd few who kill u mid way, but there have been many times where my horde Tauren Hunter and a few Alliance have teamed up together.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
KoudelkaMorgan said:
Those enemimes sound scarier than the boss tbh. Enemy mimes strangling you with invisible rope..
They are terrifying. The worst part is all the adds doing that stupid invisible wall thing before they burst onto the battlefield. Well, cleaning up all the white paint is kind of a ***** too.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
ffronw said:
...If you can survive the encounter (he has an AoE Shadow Bolt attack that hits all enemies for 10 million damage each), there's a chance you could get the Hungering Claw [http://www.wowhead.com/item=138201/fathom-dweller] pet, if you're lucky with drop rates.
And only if you also helped in summoning the damn thing because of the hidden quest associated with it in the World Quest system which people are still having trouble understanding according to some people who killed it and didn't get any loot because they were not "on it's quest".